What do you do with open source?

Started by Bloody Jack Kidd, January 15, 2010, 03:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloody Jack Kidd

I not only advocate open source, but I use it everyday both at work and at home. 

Main workstation - FreeBSD, Xorg, KDE
Web Security & Content Filtering - Squid / SquidGuard (also the base of the Portcullis project)
Basic File & Print - SAMBA & CUPS (have even run TAM 9 and TAM 10 from SAMBA)
Email Security - ASSP (SMTP Gateway for Parallel42)
Email MTA - Postfix and Dovecot (smtp, smtps, pop3, pop3s, imap)
Internal IM and Collaboration - OpenFire & Spark
Web Servers - Apache, PHP, even Lighttp
Database - MySQL
Forums - SMF, phpBB
Blogging - Wordpress
Wikis - Mediawiki
Intrusion Detection - Snort and BASE
DNS - BIND (used as Master and even slaved in a MS Active Directory context)

...I'm sure there is plenty more, and I use a lot of these projects hand-in-hand with Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Deploying Asterisk to replace our outdated Amanda@Work.Group II voicemail.  So far so good, but not in production yet.  This will also include SIP extensions if and where needed.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

It's pretty nice so far.  I have it tied into our Toshiba CIX/CTX via PRI.  Asterisk (FreePBX)-->Toshiba CIX/CTX --> PSTN

Fully functional as far as calls in and out.  Rebuilding right now because the hard drive was throwing SMART errors and I wanted the experience setting it up again.  The bad hdd is still alive however, so if at any point I needed, I could throw it back in.

CentOS 5.4, Asterisk 1.6, FreePBX 2.5.0.1 (or something like that) and a Digium TE122P T1/E1 card.

I also use Open Source for other important things like gateway virus scanning, proxy server (web filtering), content management, graphic design, text editing, securing web traffic, remote assistance, and the list goes on but that was all I could think of right now and I'm lazy.
Mark Piontek, MBA

insurebatimore

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on February 19, 2010, 03:13:38 PM
always have my eye on Asterisk

You an' me, both!  I don't use nearly as much OS as I'd like to.  There always seems to be something (or some company) holding me back.

We use Apache, MySQL, Wordpress, SugarCRM, Untangle, Samba, ClamAV and a few small programs here and there.  Implementing OpenOffice has always been my dream (thanks for popping my balloons, Applied.)

We also use Inkscape, Scribus and Gimp here, but I can't seem to wean myself off of Photoshop.

Mark

Update on my Asterisk box -- it's working quite well.  Integration is almost complete.  Takes a bit of time when you have to reverse engineer the existing system, but what I am working on right now if figuring out how I am going to send calls to voicemail from the legacy pbx.  Some of the testing is difficult to do unless I'm in here on a weekend.  The last thing I want to do is start tarpitting customer calls  ;D

I have already used the conference/meetme feature and the call recording in Asterisk.  I would definitely recommend * as a phone system replacement.  The price s unbeatable.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jeff Golas

Mark - glad to see you got it going! PRI card working ok?
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com