Main Menu

SWEET

Started by Bob, January 15, 2010, 03:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I love open source!   :)

Andrew Carrick

I bet I hate MS more!

I got an ubuntu netbook last year, great value, 43 second boot time. Ok loading new programs can be a bit tricky but I don't need that many new programs. Almost every week something happens in Windows that really irritates me, and I wonder how they managed to be so succesful.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on January 20, 2010, 10:29:04 AM
and I wonder how they managed to be so succesful.

Marketing, marketing, marketing
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

I hate the agencies that just change to OpenOffice (because they don't have an agency management system for example) and e-mail the .odt file to us.  Cannot they at least save it as an .rtf file?  I have OpenOffice, but we must communicate still.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

Quote from: Hans Manhave on January 20, 2010, 11:08:20 AM
I hate the agencies that just change to OpenOffice (because they don't have an agency management system for example) and e-mail the .odt file to us.  Cannot they at least save it as an .rtf file?  I have OpenOffice, but we must communicate still.

Yeah - MS was suppose to adopt .odt years again, but in true M$ form, decided to create their own "open" format.  Just because it's open, does not instantly make it universal, unfortunately.  I've used OO from time to time, but I don't spend much time making docs or spreadsheets, when I do I mostly use Google Apps.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Andrew Carrick

I'm still paranoid about cloud apps - security, uptime etc, although I'm sure statistics will prove that these are not issues like they used to be. But then think how many people would claim they can't function in the office when a contractor goes through your broadband cable.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bloody Jack Kidd

I was kind of in the camp at one point, but serious outages seem few and far between and if they are serious enough, like a long power outage, well, your people aren't going to be able to work anyway.

Some organizations, and large ones at that, utilize cloud services and make out quite well.  Presently I'm only using the cloud personally... but then again, we use Postini at work...
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

Found an addin for MS Office.  Only tested it in Office 2007, but I'm planning on OfficeXP/2002 shortly.

Detail can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter/files/ODF%20Add-in%20for%20Office/

I downloaded and installed the 4MB download.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Quote from: Hans Manhave on January 20, 2010, 11:08:20 AM

There is a setting in OO options to use .doc as the default when saving files.  .xls too.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bob

Yep!  That is what I do at home..  Never have problem with Office users since I default my docs that way and OO has no problem opening MS Office files.  Was educational thread for me..  I wondered about odt.  :)

Hans Manhave

I hope all those agencies we do business with read it also and will be so nice as to submit their quote submission material in "industry standard" format.   ;D

Until then, I have no choice but to create wider and wider nets on my side.

insurebatimore

We received an XML "Word" file from a carrier the other day.  I thought that was kinda odd.