IE 8 or IE 9 and Sharpoint Services Intranet

Started by Matthew Udovich, April 18, 2011, 11:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Udovich

Does anyone out there have a sharepoint services intranet and are you able to open word docs and spreadsheets, edit them and save right back to the site? I have to save off a local copy and re-uplaod every time, or I'll get an error saying the file is read only and I am not sure how to fix this. Everyone else is on IE 7 and the intranet behaves normally for them.

Jeff Zylstra

My setup is not a Sharepoint setup, but I experienced this the other day on our "intranet".   I just store an MHT file as a "menu" of sorts on a share on our file server and then have everyone open the MHT file in Internet Explorer. 

Whenever I tried to edit that MHT file, it told me that it was read only because another "user" had opened that file.  I was right clicking on that file in Explorer, and using the "open with" command to open it with MS Word 2010 to edit the file.  When I opened Word 2010 first, and then loaded the Menu.MHT file, it opened just fine and I could then edit the file as needed. 

To answer your question, I think it is something in the security setup of the newer Office files, and that editing security in Office would be my guess as to where to start.  HTH.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Charlie Charbonneau

I just opened documents from Sharepoint, added a new document with test text, closed, saved then reopend.  Was faced with a prompt to "read only" or "edit"  upon selecting "edit" it let me add text to the existing document and close/save as normal without having to save locally.  Changes were there upon "read only" and "edit" viewing.  I didn't try a spreadsheet though and I'm using I.E. 9.  Probably not much help, but it worked for me.  Also Sharepoint is on a 2008 Server.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Matthew Udovich

Thanks for that test Charlie, unfortunately we are on WSS 3.0, interesting that you have no problems, though. I, too, choose edit, although I am forced to save locally and then upload again. :-( It's probably right in front of my nose and i just can't see the forest through the trees  :(

Jeff Zylstra

Try opening Word, Excel, or other program that created it, outside of sharepoint, loading the file and then saving the file and exiting the Office program.  Then try opening it in Sharepoint for editing again.  My system told me in essence, that there was some kind of file lock in place for "another user", and this is how I released it.  No file locks showed in Server 2008, btw, just when I tried to open it off the share as an HTML file. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Matthew Udovich

I can't figure out how to browse to the sharepoint directory with W7 and IE8 or IE9 :-(
That's another thing that was a bit easier with xp :-( I put IE8 on an XP machine and I get the same unable to save problem there as well.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Matthew Udovich on April 18, 2011, 03:27:38 PM
I can't figure out how to browse to the sharepoint directory with W7 and IE8 or IE9 :-(
That's another thing that was a bit easier with xp :-( I put IE8 on an XP machine and I get the same unable to save problem there as well.

Same as XP if using Explore.exe.  Right click on the Start button or Orb and "open Windows Explorer", then when it pops up (usually to "library"), just click on "library" in the address bar and it will turn blank and you can type an address in like "\\Server08\Sharename" or some such thing.  Is that what you mean?