TamClient.exe vs Asupdate.exe

Started by Alice, April 14, 2011, 02:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Now that we are using v10.7, asupdate.exe was replaced by tamclient.exe as the desktop shortcut. For those of you who have installed v10.7, how did you go about putting the new desktop shortcut in the All Users folder to update it from the old one? I really don't want to go to each desk, delete the one that's there (asupdate.exe), put the new one there and cut/paste it to the All Users folder. Is there an easier way?
Did the client install automatically create a desktop shortcut at one time? I'm either really dating myself or....it was a dream  :)

Jim Jensen

Mine's still asupdate.exe and I don't recall changing it back to that.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bloody Jack Kidd

off the cuff - call a script from your login script that copies at shortcut from a central location to the desired desktop (All Users or otherwise)

eg.

xcopy /q /y f:\misc\tamclient.lnk %userprofile%\Desktop

something like that... some MS scripting guru can spiffy this up, with some syntax to check if the file already exists and skip the copy in that case...
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

I like to create shortcuts directly, rather than crate them and copy.  Below is a VBS script I use to do this (you can call it from a logon script just like you call a batch file).

' Create a shortcut script
Set objNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")
sUsername = objnetwork.UserName
Set oWS = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
sLinkFile = "c:\Documents and Settings\" & sUsername & "\Desktop\TAM.LNK"
Set oLink = oWS.CreateShortcut(sLinkFile)
oLink.TargetPath = "G:\WINTAM\ASUPDATE.EXE"
oLink.Save

Maybe this isn't necessary, but it is the method I prefer.  I remember one time I created a shortcut to C:\something and then copied it to another workstation only to find out the copy now pointed to \\MarksWorkstation\c$\something.  Hence, then the script above was born.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bloody Jack Kidd

see - I knew someone would have something slick.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Mark

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on April 14, 2011, 03:15:10 PM
see - I knew someone would have something slick.

A lazy Admin == a good Admin;   ;D
Mark Piontek, MBA

Alice

Thanks you guys, but...
I'm not familiar with script,VBS or otherwise, and I'm not permitted to do anything with the login script, if that's what you meant by calling it from a login script. But I have created bat files and sent emails for users to run by clicking on a link to kick it off (with the help of some here...tyvm!), but that's about as smart as I am about this stuff.
Is there a way to put the .lnk on the network and create a bat file to copy it from there to the All Users folder? Like this C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\Desktop\theage~1.lnk
I don't know how to do .lnk part to make it a shortcut instead of putting the actual exe on the desktop. I think I mean I don't know where to call it from (what would go in front of the above path).
Mark - I think I'm missing a piece of knowledge in my head to understand your script. I'm almost to the point of understanding, then it just goes to smoke. Sorry...
Like some users, I know enough to be a bit dangerous  ;D

Mark

Alice,

No worries!  Just copy and paste (into notepad) the text in my previous post and change the "G:\wintam\asupdate.exe" line to match your environment, then save as a .vbs file just like you would save a batch file as a .bat file.  Then save the TAMshortcut.vbs file (or whatever you chose to name it) to the network and instruct users to double-click it.  They shouldn't receive any message, but should see a TAM shortcut on their desktop called TAM.

You can try this on your own desktop first to make sure it works for you.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Orlando Alonzo

Couldn't you just make a copy of the exe file, and then rename the copy asupdate and leave the shortcuts pointing to that. Of course the copy will just probably go away with the next update.

BTW 10.7 still works with XP right?
Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Bob

In my opinion it's just a play on words much like cloud replaces ASP for most part.   Script is just the in word for batch files, instruction within.  Login script is a batch file.  Words can intimidate so I'm hoping to remove some of that fear in my explanation.  NOT a complete and total explanation but should get you past any fears.

The line you just did you could save as .bat put in netlogon folder on server..  You can use the call command within your primary login script to execute it or add the line to login script.  

I could be mistaken but is how it's used most often.  Yes there are other types of scripts but most of what you see around here are bat files just like dos days but referred to as scripts or scripting.  VBS is just another extension but not much different from a bat file.

Easiest way to follow...  Browse to the NETLOGON folder on server, copy the bat files to a temp folder on your PC so you can view, edit etc. and not accidentally change something on server.   Over time you might make a new bat file/script, and use the call command in primary login script to execute it.

Here is example...  Lets say you wanted to push out a printer.  I'll use my Dell3110cn as example and wanting to push that out to all my users including remote offices:

RunDll32.EXE printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\Server\Bobs3110cn

The line above would push out printer/driver to all my users.  I would save this as a bat file.   I would open primary login script (batch file), and add a line say:

Call \\server\netlogon\Bobs3110cn.bat

We can say scripting all we want but it's just creating working batch files or VBS for most part.  Play on words..  JMO!  :)

Mark

Good explanation Bob.  Scripting to me is simply automating.

..and for your printer, I like that one, but also have it in VBS.  for a network printer:

' Printers.vbs - Windows Logon Script.
Option Explicit
Dim objNetwork, strUNCPrinter
strUNCPrinter = "\\appsrv01\2nd Floor B&W"
Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\appsrv01\2nd Floor B&W"
'objNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter strUNCPrinter
Mark Piontek, MBA

Charlie Charbonneau

Was I wrong in thinking that tamclient doesn't replace asupdate?  my (mis)understanding of it was that it was for win7 boxes and that old boxes were to still use asupdate...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Bob

Yes 10.7 works with XP.  I need to install it as we have mix bag of XP and W7.  Were still using 10.5.  Quick and painless I might run from home one night.

I'll give Kudos to Applied too!  They have come a long ways (since 8x and older) and have made these upgrades rather reliable, quick and boring.  Boring is good!  Why I do most all updates from my living room.  ;D

Charlie Charbonneau

I know 10.7 works with xp but my xp stations are still using asupdate to login... only my win 7 station is using tamclient.  I guess the question is should I be using tamclient across the board now...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.

Alice

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on April 14, 2011, 04:43:27 PM
Was I wrong in thinking that tamclient doesn't replace asupdate?  my (mis)understanding of it was that it was for win7 boxes and that old boxes were to still use asupdate...
Charlie - the hotfixes available after installing v10.7 say to run TamClient.exe /rr regardless of the OS and I confirmed with a tech since this was the first time I saw it.  I always question when things are different so I understand the why. We'll be replacing the computers this year sometime, so setting stuff up now when I can will save time later with regards to keeping my documentation up to date.

Alice

Karma for everyone for taking the time to explain it all to me!!  I will look at all this first thing tomorrow with fresh eyes and a clearer head.
Bob - +1 put you at 50  8)

Charlie Charbonneau

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Alice

I need to add that I'm not sure what changed the Tam shortcut to point to TamClient.exe - when I installed 10.7 or the hotfix files. I just know that now when I look at the properties when accessing Tam from the Start menu, it points to TamClient.exe, not asupdate.exe. So that's where I would manually create the desktop shortcut from (right click, send to, desktop/create shortcut)
Follow?  ;)

Mark

Quote from: Alice on April 14, 2011, 05:55:22 PM
I need to add that I'm not sure what changed the Tam shortcut to point to TamClient.exe - when I installed 10.7 or the hotfix files. I just know that now when I look at the properties when accessing Tam from the Start menu, it points to TamClient.exe, not asupdate.exe. So that's where I would manually create the desktop shortcut from (right click, send to, desktop/create shortcut)
Follow?  ;)

Yes.
Mark Piontek, MBA