Installing Tam to new server

Started by Alice, February 24, 2011, 12:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Charbonneau

Do you run off a login script?  add it there.   
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Alice

Not allowed to touch the login scripts. There are only two for the entire company and I don't need this running for those in the Travel or Membership departments.
Good idea though if there was a script unique for each area.

Bloody Jack Kidd

I know you can't touch your login scripts - but if you could, or if someone can - a conditional statement could run asupdate for some and not others...

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Matthew Udovich

Could you put a batch file on the network where everyone can get to it and then send the email with a link to that batch file?

Matthew Udovich

This just popped into my head, psexec from Sysinternals??
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062

I think you could then execute the command from your machine on their machine. I use this to trigger the windows defrag on Wednesday nights.

Alice

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on March 04, 2011, 09:35:49 AM
I know you can't touch your login scripts - but if you could, or if someone can - a conditional statement could run asupdate for some and not others...

I really would like to do something like this but there are over 500 users and 98% have the same login script and there are no existing conditions to identify anyone. Everyone gets all the same drive mappings regardless of what their jobs are. I don't like it but "it's not my concern".
I will look in to the batch file suggestion, Matt, b/c if I even think about third party software, I'm told it needs to go through an approval process before I do anything. I don't have the time to wait for that. Thank you though...

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bloody Jack Kidd

post your instructions there?  link your email to that?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Alice

Quote from: Matthew Udovich on March 04, 2011, 09:56:32 AM
Could you put a batch file on the network where everyone can get to it and then send the email with a link to that batch file?
OMG!  This is soooo working!! Quick and easy too. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight afterall  :-*
Thanks so much for the idea!

Alice

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on March 04, 2011, 12:24:46 PM
post your instructions there?  link your email to that?
our Share Point guy is out today and we're not allowed to make changes or add anything without his knowing or approval.
(now you see why I was looking for resume advice around the holidays? my hands get tied any tighter I won't be able to do my job)

Jeff Zylstra

If these folks are members of the "TAMUSERS" group (or some other group) in your Active Directory, could a script be run against only these members based on group membership?  Could something be run on group policy for only these members?  I also like Matthew's suggestion of using the PSEXEC.

I run a script to do a "wake on lan" on certain mornings so I can run an Anti-Virus scan early in the morning when computers are down. It requires each machines' MAC address, so it wouldn't work well for this, but it's something for the future if so that you can run a batch file using PSEXEC or some such thing and do the TAM updates yourself.

Also, if you are running Windows 7 or maybe Vista machines, ASUPDATE /RR won't work on these machines.  They will require TAMINI /R and also TAMCLIENT /R to be run on them.  Sorry to further complicate things, but it's always better to know now rather than later.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Matthew Udovich

Quote from: Alice on March 04, 2011, 12:39:07 PM
our Share Point guy is out today and we're not allowed to make changes or add anything without his knowing or approval.
(now you see why I was looking for resume advice around the holidays? my hands get tied any tighter I won't be able to do my job)

How 'bout creating a share on your machine and put the batch file there and then link to that in your email?? I've not added a batch file to our sharepoint, not sure if you can?

Alice

Quote from: Alice on March 04, 2011, 12:36:46 PM
Quote from: Matthew Udovich on March 04, 2011, 09:56:32 AM
OMG!  This is soooo working!! Quick and easy too. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight afterall  :-*
Thanks so much for the idea!
Sorry...I got a little excited   :-[

Alice

After I installed the latest Transfer Manager in the workstation, the tech gave me instructions to make changes to the Microsoft .Net Framework, but I don't see it where he says to go. The PC is XP so don't know if this is for Windows 7. Administrative Tools is not listing this even after a restart. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can test download?
TY

Go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration.
Click on Runtime Security Policy on the left, then Adjust Zone Security on the right.
Leave the option at Make changes to this computer and click Next.
Click on the Local Intranet icon at the top, bring the slider bar below all the way to the top to full trust. Click Next, then Finish.