Installing Tam to new server

Started by Alice, February 24, 2011, 12:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alice

Other than creating the shares on the new server and mapping the workstation to the new shares on the new server, am I supposed to do anything else before I install Tam? I received two errors during installation referring to the registry and I'm pretty sure it means on the server.
New server is Windows 2008 R2. 64-bit if that makes a difference.
Has anyone seen these?

Thanks!!

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Alice on February 24, 2011, 12:49:24 PM
Other than creating the shares on the new server and mapping the workstation to the new shares on the new server, am I supposed to do anything else before I install Tam? I received two errors during installation referring to the registry and I'm pretty sure it means on the server.
New server is Windows 2008 R2. 64-bit if that makes a difference.
Has anyone seen these?

Thanks!!

We just deployed a new server with Server 2008 and have not seen those errors. I'm not technical enough to point you in the right direction either but just wanted to share that we are not seeing that error.
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Alice

That's good to know. Thanks Mark. I'll forward the errors to Applied Support on Monday. I'm spending the weekend copying the files over so I can do some testing before putting in to production the following weekend.
Is there anything you learned that you could pass on as something to be on the lookout for? I don't have server experience so I'll take any advice.
Server related advise that is... ;)

Mark Rowe

Quote from: Alice on February 25, 2011, 03:09:21 PM
I don't have server experience so I'll take any advice.

Advice:
Just do it like I did, have an outside tech (with applied experience) do it. We bought the server from him and he made it work. I took all the credit though.
Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

Jim Jensen

It's been a few years since I did it, but when I bought our Win2003 Server, all I had to do was create the network shares and copy the Applied folder from the old server to the new one across the network. Connected to the new server from a workstation and it worked fine. Didn't have to go through any install process at all. We were probably on the Tam 8.x platform then.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Jeff Zylstra

I don't have an drives, "F:" or other, mapped on my server so I'd be inclined to think that this is referring to your workstation.  All the server has to do or should be doing regarding TAM is providing a shared folder which the workstations refer to as the "F:" drive.  

I would also check to see if this file exists on the old server (and where), and if it exists on the new server. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Alice

Thanks Jeff. It is missing on new server so I'm going to copy it over. Don't see how it can hurt unless I'm missing something else.

Alice

Quote from: Mark Rowe on February 25, 2011, 04:07:12 PM
Quote from: Alice on February 25, 2011, 03:09:21 PM
I don't have server experience so I'll take any advice.

Advice:
Just do it like I did, have an outside tech (with applied experience) do it. We bought the server from him and he made it work. I took all the credit though.

Our network engineer builds all of our servers...been doing it for years.  This is the first time in all the years I've been supporting Tam that I've had errors during installation. Being new to Server 2008 isn't helping me much either, but I don't see it makes a difference moving the data over. I have the instructions from Applied KB regarding moving the data to server 2008 so I feel pretty good about it. Not in panic mode just yet.

Bloody Jack Kidd

What elicits this error?  Are you trying to run asupdate or something?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Alice

Both errors appeared at two different times when installing Tam to the new server from a workstation. So far I've copied all the files to the new server but haven't done anything else yet.  I'll start testing tomorrow after I scan/reindex the files. Server is going in to production next weekend.

Bloody Jack Kidd

the registry in question would be the local workstation... not your server.

options.xml should be g: or h: no?

i'd re-run asupdate.exe /rr
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Alice

I renamed the local Wintam directory and reran like you said. So far so good. First scan/reindex went without a hitch and took 1 hr 20 min, which is better than I expected.
Thanks Rick!

Alice

Does anyone know how to force the workstations to run asupdate /rr?  What will happen this weekend is once I copy over all the data and reindex everything, my network guy will rename the server to what the current one is so the login scripts and other stuff doesn't need to be changed. He's done this successfully with other servers we've been replacing.
I found during testing that when I remap the drives to the new server or back to the old server, I got active x errors before the Tam login came up. Had to run asupdate /rr to get rid of them.
What I'm trying to avoid come Monday morning is me going to 50+ workstations to run this. Maybe send an email with a link to run asupdate /rr if they receive errors? Any ideas?

Alice

I tried sending myself an email with a hyperlink but it keeps changing the "/rr" to "\rr" making the link fail. My first time trying this when there's a space in the link so I don't know if I can fix this to work. Any advice will be helpful.
TIA

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Charlie Charbonneau

Do you run off a login script?  add it there.   
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Alice

Not allowed to touch the login scripts. There are only two for the entire company and I don't need this running for those in the Travel or Membership departments.
Good idea though if there was a script unique for each area.

Bloody Jack Kidd

I know you can't touch your login scripts - but if you could, or if someone can - a conditional statement could run asupdate for some and not others...

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Matthew Udovich

Could you put a batch file on the network where everyone can get to it and then send the email with a link to that batch file?

Matthew Udovich

This just popped into my head, psexec from Sysinternals??
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062

I think you could then execute the command from your machine on their machine. I use this to trigger the windows defrag on Wednesday nights.

Alice

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on March 04, 2011, 09:35:49 AM
I know you can't touch your login scripts - but if you could, or if someone can - a conditional statement could run asupdate for some and not others...

I really would like to do something like this but there are over 500 users and 98% have the same login script and there are no existing conditions to identify anyone. Everyone gets all the same drive mappings regardless of what their jobs are. I don't like it but "it's not my concern".
I will look in to the batch file suggestion, Matt, b/c if I even think about third party software, I'm told it needs to go through an approval process before I do anything. I don't have the time to wait for that. Thank you though...

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bloody Jack Kidd

post your instructions there?  link your email to that?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Alice

Quote from: Matthew Udovich on March 04, 2011, 09:56:32 AM
Could you put a batch file on the network where everyone can get to it and then send the email with a link to that batch file?
OMG!  This is soooo working!! Quick and easy too. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight afterall  :-*
Thanks so much for the idea!

Alice

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on March 04, 2011, 12:24:46 PM
post your instructions there?  link your email to that?
our Share Point guy is out today and we're not allowed to make changes or add anything without his knowing or approval.
(now you see why I was looking for resume advice around the holidays? my hands get tied any tighter I won't be able to do my job)

Jeff Zylstra

If these folks are members of the "TAMUSERS" group (or some other group) in your Active Directory, could a script be run against only these members based on group membership?  Could something be run on group policy for only these members?  I also like Matthew's suggestion of using the PSEXEC.

I run a script to do a "wake on lan" on certain mornings so I can run an Anti-Virus scan early in the morning when computers are down. It requires each machines' MAC address, so it wouldn't work well for this, but it's something for the future if so that you can run a batch file using PSEXEC or some such thing and do the TAM updates yourself.

Also, if you are running Windows 7 or maybe Vista machines, ASUPDATE /RR won't work on these machines.  They will require TAMINI /R and also TAMCLIENT /R to be run on them.  Sorry to further complicate things, but it's always better to know now rather than later.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Matthew Udovich

Quote from: Alice on March 04, 2011, 12:39:07 PM
our Share Point guy is out today and we're not allowed to make changes or add anything without his knowing or approval.
(now you see why I was looking for resume advice around the holidays? my hands get tied any tighter I won't be able to do my job)

How 'bout creating a share on your machine and put the batch file there and then link to that in your email?? I've not added a batch file to our sharepoint, not sure if you can?

Alice

Quote from: Alice on March 04, 2011, 12:36:46 PM
Quote from: Matthew Udovich on March 04, 2011, 09:56:32 AM
OMG!  This is soooo working!! Quick and easy too. Maybe I'll get some sleep tonight afterall  :-*
Thanks so much for the idea!
Sorry...I got a little excited   :-[

Alice

After I installed the latest Transfer Manager in the workstation, the tech gave me instructions to make changes to the Microsoft .Net Framework, but I don't see it where he says to go. The PC is XP so don't know if this is for Windows 7. Administrative Tools is not listing this even after a restart. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can test download?
TY

Go into the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration.
Click on Runtime Security Policy on the left, then Adjust Zone Security on the right.
Leave the option at Make changes to this computer and click Next.
Click on the Local Intranet icon at the top, bring the slider bar below all the way to the top to full trust. Click Next, then Finish.

Bloody Jack Kidd

Administrative Tools may be hidden if you do not have high enough privileges...

?
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Alice

I can get there. I'm thinking I need to go to MS web site and install it. I thought it automatically installs with Tam or fax@, but I could be wrong.  But it's not on my workstation either. It's on my home PC, but that's not helping.
Tomorrow's another day...

Update:  when I looked at Add/Remove Programs, I saw other versions of .Net but not 1.1. So I snagged it from Microsoft's site, installed it and then it was in Administrative Tools. I made the changes as instructed and tested the download successfully.
So everything is complete and now it's up to the users to call in any problems if there are any. One server down, one to go (fax@).
Thank you everyone for you help. Couldn't have done it all without you!

Jeff Zylstra

Have you installed the DOTNETFIX program from your Tam drive:\Wintam\Updates\Installs folder?  This installs the .NET 1.1 that TAM will look to for printing routines and other things as well.  I would think that this got installed already, but you never know.

Alice

Never thought of that. Do you think I should still run it to be on the safe side in case there's more to be done aside from just installing 1.1?

Jeff Zylstra

Check the Add/Remove programs in XP to see if Microsoft .NET is installed.  You will probably see at least 2 versions of it including 1.1.  If you don't see it there, then definitely install it. 

On second thought however, I don't think that this is the issue since there are a lot of other things that would be in Administrative Tools, like Services, System Configuration, Component Services, etc...  Many of these would be there whether or not .NET was installed or not.  Go to Add/Remove Programs and go through the Windows Add Components dialogue.  I bet that they were not installed from there.  I think someone else may have alluded to this earlier, but that is probably where you would find them in XP.

Alice

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 07, 2011, 09:58:24 AM
Check the Add/Remove programs in XP to see if Microsoft .NET is installed.  You will probably see at least 2 versions of it including 1.1.  If you don't see it there, then definitely install it. 

On second thought however, I don't think that this is the issue since there are a lot of other things that would be in Administrative Tools, like Services, System Configuration, Component Services, etc...  Many of these would be there whether or not .NET was installed or not.  Go to Add/Remove Programs and go through the Windows Add Components dialogue.  I bet that they were not installed from there.  I think someone else may have alluded to this earlier, but that is probably where you would find them in XP.
Not knowing (remembering) about the DotNetFix, I ended up getting 1.1 from MS's site and was good to go. Downloads worked fine through NU.
Thx.

Jeff Zylstra

Another satisfied AU customer!  ;D

Alice

Yuppers!! you got a karma from me as well as Matt also for suggesting the batch file to run asupdate. Worked like a charm!!
Now...I have anther question about Hyper-V virtual PC that I'll start a new thread for since this one is done. NU taking 3 hours longer than the average before the new server. Will explain there...

Jeff Zylstra

Cool!  I'm storing up karma for when I get in trouble  ;)  And kudos to Matt for suggesting both the batch file and also the psexec suggestion.  I love psexec because I can do stuff on people's machine without kicking them off.  Often times, they don't even know I'm doing things in the background!  And, I can store things in a batch file and just edit the batch file for which machines I need to run the utility on. Very cool!

Alice

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on March 07, 2011, 04:24:41 PM
Cool!  I'm storing up karma for when I get in trouble  ;)  And kudos to Matt for suggesting both the batch file and also the psexec suggestion. Very cool!

just realized I have 10 karma. wish I could remember when and why  :D