Video card gone 1/2 bad?

Started by Terry Evans, February 10, 2011, 05:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Evans

Can a video card go 1/2 bad?

I put a video card in my computer several years ago so we could all have dual monitors.  Coming out of the port is a splitter and then two monitors are attached.

One of the monitors started to appeal dull and faded so I switched them and now the other one appears dull and faded.  Maybe I'm just a pessimist and I should be thinking that the video card is half good?

Could this be half a bad card or is it more likely bad splitter wire?

I tried to plug the bad side into the old card that was the original, but it's not getting a signal.  Is that an option?  How do I turn it on?

I would just replace the video card, but this computer is on it's last legs and I'm just waiting for Applied to support W7 64 Bit . . . and waiting . . . and waiting . . . and waiting . . .
Terry Evans
Maurer-Noel-Evans Insurance
terry@mne.biz  www.mne.biz

Bloody Jack Kidd

your avatar is so disturbing...

my guess would be some key components driving the signal (capacitors, rectifiers, whatever) are weakening leading to lower output voltage on some of the pins, causing your issue.

maybe live with it if you can, or pick-up a card 2nd hand somewhere.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Charlie Charbonneau

You should be able to use both cards.  Did you go into display settings and enable it to extend to the third (original) monitor? plug into the original vid card and reboot, anything?

Do you have a splitter on another computer that you can swap out to test?
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

brinkerdana

"your avatar is so disturbing..."

Agreed!  You would definitely be someone I'd run from in a dark alley!
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: brinkerdana on February 11, 2011, 10:45:20 AM
"your avatar is so disturbing..."

Agreed!  You would definitely be someone I'd run from in a dark alley!

This reminds me an awful lot of some of the photos that were on the internet a couple years ago.  They took photos of different celebrities and then morphed them together and photo shopped them using the worst characteristics of each celebrity to show what their children could look like.   It was downright scary!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop