What do think of Axis Backup?

Started by Lance Weaver, January 18, 2011, 03:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Weaver

Does anyone use them as a recovery vendor?  If so, have you ever had to recover with them and what was your experience?  They are courting us and I am looking for input from people on what to make of their service and recovery model.  We are a 51-user TAM agency with about 60 users total.  They are quoting us a 5-user recovery to a Terminal Server for about $200 per month.  I am unsure of specifics at this point but 5 users sounds inadequate to me but who knows...  I am looking for any input that I can get.

Thanks.
Lance Weaver
The Unity Group Insurance
TAM 11.1, Fax@vantage 8.1, eTfile, BenefitPoint - 51 users

Bob

Axis and others likely use product called Ahsay.  With 50 users I would consider buying the app and making my own online off site server backup.  Could do on line backup to your off site backup server.  When something happens just bring that thing in to work.  200.00 per mo is 2400.00 per year times how many years..  JMO..  :)

Jeff Golas

Bob, do you happen to know how much Ashay is?
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Bob

I was seriously considering deploying but for 18 users not cost effective.  50 or more I think I would consider vs. depending on some other vendor and still having to deal with a replacement server.  This would allow you to quickly be up and running.  Steve Hart showed me the site long ago and was recommending to me.  Not sure what today's cost is..  I'm betting Steve or Nick knows.  All I'm finding are UK and HK prices.  Many online backup vendors are using AhSay.

Lance Weaver

Thanks Bob.  I will look into AhSay.  Our local ISP offers a replication service also.  Our data mirrors to a local backup server which them mirrors to our ISP over fiber.  I tried it awhile ago but it was slow.  ISP says that they've remedied the speed issues and wants me to try again but I don't have time right now.

Thanks again.

Lance
Lance Weaver
The Unity Group Insurance
TAM 11.1, Fax@vantage 8.1, eTfile, BenefitPoint - 51 users

Bob

Just wanted to revisit this.  Since we've expanded to multiple locations (last couple years) much has changed and too much on my plate so I gave Axis a try and I liked the service/product.

I've been known to not take backup off premises (admit human), sometimes something goes wrong.  This offsite backup provides us peace of mind and has been working well (reliably).

Principal has a sense of peace knowing system backed up in case we are caught with our pants down (sometimes we forget to change backup or take off premises) human errors, hardware, disasters etc.   What really sold him, is disaster recovery.   To make our server available in a TS environment within 4-6 hours so we can continue to service while doing server rebuild.  That impressed me and the short time they can turn around and make that available!   Maybe EQ takes out the Bay..  Can service from home until arrangements made on location and deploying a new server.  Been pleased with the service and reliability  I would recommend them if this is an area you're company is looking at.   This is not for tam online users, could be as only thing you're protected with is your Applied Product/data.  If you have server in house for other things, worth backing up.  Really appealing for those like me who prefer control, prefer the performance of in house product, to know my back is covered and can get to my data in small window and service while also rebuilding.  That I like.

I didn't want to start new thread so dug out this one from couple years ago.   Just sharing how things changed in 2 years and here I am now using product, LOL!   :)

Jeff Golas

Bob, how much data are you backing up?
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Bob

Still trying to fill my allotted space.   Get 100 gigs COMPRESSED..  Currently using about 40-50%.  So about 100 gigs backed up so far.   I started by being selective on Backup.   1st priority was all data on TAM share.  Then complete backup of exchange years of use, also backed up system state.   I'm tinkering adding more and more but backups are working good and both confirmed by email and I get a personal call once in a while letting me know it's working well.  Reassuring..

Hope I don't have to use Disaster service but I love 4-6 hours my stuff available via TS anywhere while recovering.  Not a permanent hosting of course, just temporary while you recover.  Honestly that was the selling point.  :)

Dawn Augustine

My 2 cents, I've been using Axis backup since November 2012. Had been using BackupExec on 4 servers  for many years but after continual problems with one tape drive, decided online was the way to go. No more lugging tapes back and forth, or worrying about forgetting to swap them, etc. I've been very pleased with Axis support and service and restoring paperport marketing files that were accidentally deleted by a user is a breeze now! Oh, and the disaster recovery is a nice benefit too!
Dawn Augustine, CISR
Technology Manager
Teague Insurance Agency
La Mesa, CA
TAM 11.1

DebAmstutz

We had Axis for awhile, and I don't know exactly what was being backed up.  Cost at that time (2011) was $299.00/month.  I guess the owner thought that was too much for something that we didn't "use" (he should be grateful we didn't have to use it) and now a portable drive is being used.  I heard him wonder out loud the other day if he had changed the drive or not that day....
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again