Counting TAM licences

Started by Andrew Carrick, January 14, 2011, 08:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

Suppose you were near your limit for licences but wanted to get some stats of number in use over a day/week so you could tell management they need to buy more. You'd have to open UNLOCK32 each time, or count number of lock files in AS_LOCK. There must be a macro type application that would do either of these for you automatically. Any ideas?
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

GeorgeW

If you find something let us know. Once I start getting reports of all licences in use, I just start monitoring UNLOCK32. We've just acquired another agency so I look for this start happening again very soon!
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Mark

How about a small batch script that runs at your preferred interval and just outputs a list of the station lock files to a text file?  I'm making this up as I go here, but I'm picturing it to look something like this:

echo ====BEGIN==== >> \\path\to\text.file
echo %date% %time% >> \\path\to\text.file
dir /b x:\AS_LOCK\STAT* >> \\path\to\text.file
echo ====END==== >> \\path\to\text.file

IF you want to take it a step further, you could probably use the "for" command and make it count the lines for you.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Andrew Carrick

Ooooh dark arts, sounds like a good idea. However I've never done anything like that before. May have a go though. Have also found a freeware macro program which I'm exploring.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Mark

The above would just append the results to a  text file every time it runs.  I is only goign to list station lock file so that you don't have to filter through all of the other lock files in that directory.  I'm sure that there are a number of different ways this could be accomplished, but that should give you an idea of how many lock files are in AS_LOCK at any given time.

All you have to do is paste that text into notepad, save it as a .bat file and change "X:" to your TAM drive and the \\path\to\text.file to wherever you want the text file to land.  then schedule this to run in Windows task manager every hour during business hours for a week or whatever makes the most sense to you.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Alice

What I've done in the past was keep Unlock open all day and every hour or so I'd take a screen shot after hitting F5 to refresh and crop just the top which shows how many licenses being used and the date/time. I'd paste to Word and there's my log. Works for me and management can understand what they're looking at (they prefer pictures to lists)

Mark

Quote from: Alice on January 14, 2011, 11:42:23 AM
What I've done in the past was keep Unlock open all day and every hour or so I'd take a screen shot after hitting F5 to refresh and crop just the top which shows how many licenses being used and the date/time. I'd paste to Word and there's my log. Works for me and management can understand what they're looking at (they prefer pictures to lists)

Perfect!
Mark Piontek, MBA

Andrew Carrick

Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

GeorgeW

Nice, hadn't even thought of that! LOL
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2