Rebuild Sections

Started by Sheila Foss, October 08, 2009, 01:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheila Foss

Hey, this is a real legit help question.

How long does Rebuild Sections take?   We never ran it before, but this morning, no data carries over into summary, certs, binders, Real Time, etc.   

So, now we are running it.....................how many days will it take?   >:(

Sheila Foss

oops, there you go, need to be under help, NOT forum help  :-[

Jim Jensen

and this forum has no mod to move it...

I can't speak to yours, since I can't see how many users you have (and thus the size of DBs), but ours doesn't take terribly long, maybe 10 minutes. However if you've never run it and your DBs are large, it may take a long time. I have it run once a week or more in night utilities, usually every Saturday morning.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Sheila Foss

Well, it's been running since about 9-9:30 this morning.   I know we have data since 1995 in it, then added that other agency data by conversion in July, so I don't know how large they would be now.

I do know we have had to do a lot of renaming.   Who looks for customers by the first name?  or the first name of the person in the ATT: line?    Plus, there was no break out of personal/commercial lines client codes.   It was entered by how the person felt like putting it in.   A BOP is on the same policy list as the personal auto and homeowner.   :-\

I would think the basic premise is to file as if you were looking it up in a phone book. 

A lot of moving the policies, they had the auto, we write the home, so have been doing a lot of merging.   Well, I will probably have to leave it running through the night.   

Sheila Foss

It's still running.  I just wish it would show what customer account it was on, hopefully it's near the end of the alphabet.   

We have had a lot of accounts to move to history, then delete from the current policy list, plus moving of policies, so this was bound to happen.

Jim Jensen

Once its done, you might look to run night utilities with it once a week. Surely it will run faster and you could set it for a weekend, like run on Sunday.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Charlie Charbonneau

like I tell my users with defrag... it's like a kids room... the more often it's "cleaned" the faster it will be to clean it...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Sheila Foss

On Friday nights we do a pack, will setting it up to run at that time be done before or after reindexing?

Bob

Defrag???  Is this a Halo trick?   ;D

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Charlie Charbonneau

Lmao!!   That's usually done AFTER the fragging...  Not that I would know anything about that...  :-X

:D
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Sheila Foss on October 09, 2009, 09:56:20 AM
On Friday nights we do a pack, will setting it up to run at that time be done before or after reindexing?

I don't know for certain, but I believe the rebuild sections will run after the reindex/pack. I also run validate balances on the weekend utilities.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Sheila Foss

I remember we used to rebuild, but we had some problem, and support advised discontinuing it.  Maybe now we are on v9.4, we can safely do it on a regular basis. 

Of course, we don't usually have such heavy database changes.  Having three agencies moved in here since last December, is really straining our office.