Converting paid time off to calendar year

Started by Judy Means, December 14, 2010, 10:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Means

When we hire someone new, of course they could be hired at any time during the year.  For vacation and sick time, it goes with their hire date when they are eligible for paid time of for each.  I'd like to convert everyone to calendar year.  So if I hire someone in May and the following May they qualify for 1 week vacation and 1 week paid sick leave, under normal circumstances they would have that available until the following May.  I'd like to immediately convert them to a calendar year by pro-rating those days from May to the end of the year, and then the next January they would get their full time off and full sick leave. 

Do any of you pro-rate earned vacation days or sick days, or just paid time off to get them on a calendar year?  How do you determine the amount? 

Hope this makes some sense. 

Judy
Judy Means
West Texas Insurance Exchange, Inc.
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

Hans Manhave

We progress for length of service.  First year (12 months) one earns 1/2 day, but nothing is earned in Jan & Feb.  After ten months of earning 1/2 day, one starts earning 1 day per month of service, but still nothing in Jan & Feb.  No partial months earn anything.  After 5 years of employment, an extra day is added for each year after that, but not more than 15 days total.

Clear as mud?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Charlie Charbonneau

bit archaic, but here is what we do...

First 5 years one earns 10 vacation days throughout the year. 10/12=0.83 days per month.  if hired 10/1 that person would earn 0.83*3 or 2.5 days of vaca through the end of the year.  and then begins Jan 1st with clean slate earning 10 Days that year.

After 5 Years one earns 15 Days of vacation throughout the year.  15/12=1.25 days per month.  Same hire date of 10/1 on the year of changeover gets prorated:

9*0.83 = 7.47 (7.50)
3*1.25 = 3.75
Tot = 11.25 Days vacation for that year, then the next begins jan 1st with 15 days earned throughout the year... clear as mud?
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Judy Means

Charlie and Hans,

That helps me tremendously.  Right now the owner has it where everyone is on a completely different schedule for vacations and sick time.  It is a nightmare to keep up with, but the owner sees no problems. 

I want a Printable, legal, overly-fair way to move everyone over to calendar as quickly as possible. 

Judy d
Judy Means
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

DebAmstutz

It really bites to have a hire date of January 13 and have had to work just shy of six years to get the 5-year vacation bonus of the 3rd week of vacation instead of two.  So I'll be working almost an extra year to get the 4th week at 10 years - 11 for me.  I will have completed 8 years on January 12, 2010, but it's only 7 as of January 1. 
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Bob

I have no pity.    ;)

I had to work 20 yrs to get 4 weeks vacation..  Unheard of today..  I also get 12 Fridays off each year (one per mo) plus sick time.   ;D

Lance Bateman

Tired of having to change jobs for similar reason - every time I get up to 3 weeks, something happens - 9-11 (furloughed); agency sold (Bishop); agencies sold (Bank of Hawaii).  At new job, getting 1 week during the first year (had to bargain to get that), then 2 weeks a year after.

Quote from: Bob Connor on December 14, 2010, 03:02:33 PM
I have no pity.    ;)

I had to work 20 yrs to get 4 weeks vacation..  Unheard of today..  I also get 12 Fridays off each year (one per mo) plus sick time.   ;D

Jan Regnier

What is "Vacation" and "Sick Days"?  I don't get those.... been working in the agency since Jan 1985.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Judy Means

I also wish we had PTO, but the owner is adamant that we have Vacation and Sick leave. 

Jan, if you are like me, you only get those "things" if you are a CSR.  As accounting I get a calendar with 365 days on it.  And he tells me I get to use as many of those days as I want .... aim high!

Thank goodness for remote desktop.   

Judy
Judy Means
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

brinkerdana

Quote from: Lance Bateman on December 14, 2010, 04:52:05 PM
Tired of having to change jobs for similar reason - every time I get up to 3 weeks, something happens - 9-11 (furloughed); agency sold (Bishop); agencies sold (Bank of Hawaii).  At new job, getting 1 week during the first year (had to bargain to get that), then 2 weeks a year after.

For 5 years I was an IBM wife, moving to 4 different states and having to start vacation/sick day counts new with each move.  But of course, DH was accumulating time off.  You have no idea how much I hated going to work while he was lazing around in bed!
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired

brinkerdana

As a part timer, I get no sick pay, no paid vacation and no benefits (unless you count working only 12 hrs/week a benefit)
Dana Brinkerhoff
Retired