Delete Transaction Type

Started by Sara Lieser, November 09, 2010, 05:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Lieser

What, if any, are the implications of deleting a trasaction type?

Thank you,
Sara Lieser
Commercial CSR/Workflow
Mahowald Insurance Agency
Saint Cloud, MN
Epic 2014, 39 Users

Lance Bateman

First, some are standard from Applied and may not be available to delete.
If you're talking about those you set up - first, run reports for transactions during your "retention period" (such as 7 years).  If not used during that time, AND you have purged older stuff - you could delete them.

If you haven't purged, or they have been used in anything archived or in the "live" files - you'll get multiple problems as the system would not know how to interpret them for any run.

Quote from: Sara Lieser on November 09, 2010, 05:06:52 PM
What, if any, are the implications of deleting a trasaction type?

Thank you,

Andrew Carrick

Old entries under that code will remain but system will same "invalid code" or unknow or something similar, so you don't delete any entries by doing it, if that's what you're worried about.

I suggest running a report of all the entries of that type bfefore you delete it, so you have a permanent record.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Hans Manhave

In case it is of interest how to run such report:

Use Reports / Search / Transactions - Customers.  In criteria set those things that you can use to limit the results.  For example, the Transaction date.

Only select one field in the Fields section: Transaction type.  Group and summarize by this field.  Run the report and you'll get a count of the transactions used and how many.

There could be other reports, readily available.  I run a similar report as described almost monthly to make sure of what transactions are being used.  Very helpful for other report designs and filters.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Andrew Carrick

ooh ohh, and, as well...you can report on the deleted transactions at a later date by using Extra Criteria, Transact.type="XXX" where XXX is you code.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.