Outlook 2007 locking up

Started by Lynne Desrochers, November 03, 2010, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne Desrochers

I recently changed the owners workstation. He had Outlook 2003 and now has Outlook 2007. A few times each day as he's typing an email (either a reply or a new one) it is locking up on him. If you go to task manager it indicated outlook is using 50% of the CPU processes. Has anyone come across this and do they know the fix? Thanks!
Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Hans Manhave

Yes.  So far I have tied our situation down to the end user having a PDF open (located PDF in the scan folder) and e-mailing it from there instead of first attaching it to the e-mail, then opening it to verify if it is the right one and closing the PDF before e-mailing.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jan Regnier

I don't know if this has any bearing on the issue but is it possible this is occurring when an AV program is checking for or loading updates? 
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Lynne Desrochers

Hmm, interesting. Jan, since it's happening at all times during the day, i'm going to say it's not when the anti-virus is updating. Hans, he's not emailing a pdf. Sometimes he's just composing an email. The one thing I noticed is, he clicks on Mail from within Applied? Could that have anything to do with it?
Thanks!
Lynne
Lynne Desrochers

Bob

Is this a new PC or was Outlook 2007 installed on it and it had previous existing version?  When it locks up does it say Application not responding?

Jeff Zylstra

Another thing could be network issues if you use roaming profiles, or if the PST file is stored on a network drive instead of locally.  Also, there have been issues with anti-virus and E-mail before, where the AV has caused issues.  Also, is he using Word as the editor for Outlook and using HTML formatted E-mails as the default?  If so, switch him to composing E-mails in plain text and see if that doesn't help. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Jeff reminded me - you need to have the Email editor in Outlook outside TAM set to NOT use MS Word.  That will cause issues with doing emails from within TAM...
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Ron Gaffney

This happened to me.  Turns out there were corrupt recordes on my Blackberry.  When I got a new one and syncedit, Outlook stopped locking up.
Tam 10.7 40 Users Fax@ 7.2 Exchange 07 GFI Faxmaker
HP-Win XP & 7 desktops, Dual & Tripple Monitors