Servers and things

Started by Hans Manhave, November 04, 2010, 10:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

There are so many processors.  How does the Intel Celeron G1101 2.26GHz, 2M Cache sound as a server unit to replace a dual 3.06GHz Xeon?  The Xeon being a quad processor in itself.  I don't know enough about Celerons except that I didn't know they were server class processors (i.e. Dell T310). 

This would be for a Windows Server 2008 and have MS SQL 2005 running on it also.  25 users.

Secondly, how would RAID5 SATA 7200 rpm drives compare to RAID5 SCSI 15000 rpm drives? 

Anybody know of the PERC S100 controller and how it compares to the PERC4/Di of old?

Thoughts please.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

Celeron is not server class... I suspect the T310 is very entry level and more of a glorified desktop.  You are right though - there are almost too many processor choices these days.  Stick with Xeons or AMD equivalent for servers.

Although AMD has lagged behind Intel for a number of seasons, since the introduction of the Core technology, they are still a player and their 32nm SOI soon-to-be released chip is going to put them back in the fight big time.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

Just got a quote for a souped up T410......$16 less than a basic T610.  For similar reasons I drive a 1 ton vehicle and not a souped up 1/2 ton vehicle.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bob

I prefer a beefed up T610!  Oh wait I have that!   ;D

Anyone remember Tool Time, Tim Allen!   I've always been if little is good, more is better! Argh Argh Argh..   ;D

Come on Hans get the T610 and Xeons!  Why settle for one get two quad Xeons.  16 gigs of memory too.   ;)

Jeff Zylstra

Very happy with my Dell R710 server.  I don't remember which processor that it has, other than it being a quad core Xeon which seemed to be at the price/performance sweet spot at the time.  I did put in RAID 5 with a hot spare too.  Very nice machine, and MUCH, MUCH quieter than my old server(s).
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

I am now feeling unmanly.  I don't even know what model we have.  And I have to hit the door today so I can't even go look :(
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Bloody Jack Kidd

remember for optimized memory these days, with the Xeons that support it - you need 3 identical channels - so 6GB, 12GB, 24GB are the magic numbers - multiples of three.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

Thank you.  That is another piece I can use.  I had 24 figured, but mostly because it was there and for virtualization that appeared attractive.

Quote from: Rick Chisholm on November 05, 2010, 09:36:25 PM
remember for optimized memory these days, with the Xeons that support it - you need 3 identical channels - so 6GB, 12GB, 24GB are the magic numbers - multiples of three.

Jeff Golas

I'll second the R710! Nice server and running 5 production servers in ESXi right now :-)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Hans Manhave

A T710 it has become.  Now the wait. :D

Bloody Jack Kidd

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Bob

Yes congrats Hans nice piece of hardware!  :)

Hans Manhave

It felt like I was buying a car.  The only question that was missing was if there was a trade-in.  Even the finance manager came into play.  Did I intend to "drive" if off the lot now, etc?

Billy Welsh

Did the salesman have to "consult with the manager" about the discount?   ;D
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect