What desktop PCs are you buying?

Started by Lance Weaver, October 12, 2010, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Weaver

I've been buying HP Z200's spec'd: i3 540, 4GB RAM, 160GB SATA HDD, Gbit NIC, 2x Nvidia NVS295 (supporting 3 monitors) and have been pretty happy with them.  I've just considered switching to Dell's but they did not meet the pricing that I get from HP.  Just wondering what others are doing before I spent a bunch of money on more PCs.  Any comments?  Thanks for the input.
Lance Weaver
The Unity Group Insurance
TAM 11.1, Fax@vantage 8.1, eTfile, BenefitPoint - 51 users

Bloody Jack Kidd

Nearly all Dells when it comes to workstations and notebook, but we seem to be grabbing thin clients more than anything these days.  Unfortunately, the thin clients - both Wyse and HP, have not been 100% satisfactory.

Sysadmin - Parallel42

Robin Deatherage

Hi Lance, how's it going?  All my workstations are Dell and I have little trouble out of them.  I usually buy HP notebooks though and overall they've been ok.  Thinking of trying Dell notebooks the next time I need to get some but haven't fully made up my mind on that one yet. 
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Joshua Conner

dell desktops and lenovo laptops.

Back in the day I used to build the desktops but now I just don't have the time anymore.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Lynn Stillings

We have been a Dell shop for years. Currently we purchase the Optiplex 755 with 2GB ram (but in the past just 1 GB) and the smallest HD available (which is still quite large). We run dual monitors for the majority of our users. The Dells have been extremely reliable, only having to replace a power supply or hard drive on rare occassions. We have machines in service for over 5 years, and don't think twice about keeping them in service after the 3 year warranty runs out. They might be a little more expensive than an HP, but really the price hasn't changed much since I started purchasing in 2001.
Lynn Stillings, IT Admin.
Private Cloud/TAM 2015, F@2014 45 Users
Neil-Garing Insurance
Glenwood Springs, CO

Bob

If done right, Dell is untouchable in price..

Make your rep use the Applied Systems discount.   Depending on order size you can negotiate even more.  Never pay website prices.  I had a 40k order and knocked it down to 24k.

When negotiating make sure you do so after the adjusted price.  Get your Applied discount, get new figures then work those numbers.  JMO..  :)

Bob

Quote from: Lynn Stillings on October 13, 2010, 06:20:19 PM
We have been a Dell shop for years. Currently we purchase the Optiplex 755 with 2GB ram (but in the past just 1 GB) and the smallest HD available (which is still quite large). We run dual monitors for the majority of our users. The Dells have been extremely reliable, only having to replace a power supply or hard drive on rare occassions. We have machines in service for over 5 years, and don't think twice about keeping them in service after the 3 year warranty runs out. They might be a little more expensive than an HP, but really the price hasn't changed much since I started purchasing in 2001.

Same experience.  We were fortunate to get 6 years out of the last workstations.  Any problems over that time were minor.   I just have to say I LOVE our new server T610..   Nice piece of hardware!  :)

Billy Welsh

We are in the process of transitioning to Dell from HP.  We now employ contract IT techs and they are Dell-centric and given that the PC's are now their babies (good riddance!) we have gone that route.

We've actually got some high-end HP's giving us grief - one < 3 years and 2 others (one a server) < 4 which is pretty disappointing.  No real issues w/ Dell so far but those are mostly new (though Dell did do something screwy will all their servers a year or so back, labeling a card as a remote access controller or some such when in fact it was not).

Price-wise the Dell's have saved us money - the IT firm has a long-time rep who gives discounts due to volume of purchases arranged through the IT firm.  I will let them know about the Applied discount - maybe that will save us a little more.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Lynn Stillings

Maybe I am not understanding the Dell Applied discount correctly. I have speced out workstations through both avenues (Applied discount and just plain old website retail) and found that I can't get exactly what I want through the Applied portal. It seems to be what you see is what you get with Applied spec'd systems.

The prices are pretty darn close either way, so I usually go outside of Applied, spec what I really want, and then go to our Dell rep for a discount. They always seem to beat the Applied price and I get exactly what I want.

Am I missing something with the Applied/ Dell offerings? Isn't it pretty much limited to "their" specifications?
Lynn Stillings, IT Admin.
Private Cloud/TAM 2015, F@2014 45 Users
Neil-Garing Insurance
Glenwood Springs, CO

Bob

Not missing anything.  Most anyone can use the applied discount with Dell.   Many are unaware.

Piece out what you want.  Get that discount then try and work some more.  :)

GeorgeW

Do you just tell them you want the Applied Systems discount?
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Bob

Yes!  It should be noted at bottom of your quote.  :)

Lance Weaver

Hey Robin.  All is good here :)  That's funny cause I've been buying HP workstations and Dell laptops.

So it seems like most of you are using Dell.  I've always been an HP shop and have been very happy with my HP servers.  I assumed that I'd get better deals from Dell on these workstations but didn't - but that's without the Applied discount so I'll go back and have Dell re-quote some stuff for me.

Thanks everybody.

Lance
Lance Weaver

Jeff Zylstra

I just ordered 4 Dell Windows 7 machines yesterday.  I will say that it makes a big difference if you order through someone who orders a LOT of computers, or otherwise drop a name.  I think that Applied Systems users may get a discount, but you have to remember to ASK FOR IT.  Just because it says retail price on the website doesn't mean that there aren't deals to be had.   
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Charlie Charbonneau

Funny I've been told that we get a better discount through Small Business on certain orders than we would get through the Applied discount.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Gene Foraker

I have a small computer shop (a customer) who custom builds my workstations.   Yes, they cost maybe about $100 more than a discount Dell price, but they have much better quality parts and build.   Generally Intel or Asus mobo, good mem, etc.  They normally last over 5 years with few problems.

My workstation had a bad power supply this summer.  I unhooked it and took it down there at lunch and had it back in 1/2 hour.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Judy Means

We have the Optiplex 760's and are very happy with them.  We do dual monitors, and I get the sound bar than hangs beneath a monitor screen for each station.  This time we got the 20" monitors that are oblong.  We've had these in since 12-2009 and all but one were fine.  I had the hard drive crash on one within a week of setting it up.  Dell replaced the part and it has been fine since. 

I got the 760 plus two 20" monitors, one sound bar, and a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard set for around $975 apiece.  I didn't think that was too bad.

Judy
Judy Means
West Texas Insurance Exchange, Inc.
Odessa, Texas
TAM8.5 and other goodies

Lance Weaver

I called Dell back about the AS Discount and the Dell rep that I was working with said that the prices that he was quoting were already significantly lower than anything I could get under the "Applied Systems Discount" pricing program.  I've also had another business here in town, who buys one to two hundred PCs a year, quote Dell PCs for me.  While these prices were cheaper than I could get, and were cheaper than my HP pricing, they were not so cheap as to make me want them.  The bottom line is that I like HP's products and services and I'm buying above the "bargain level" configurations which seems to really raise the price with Dell.  I just ordered another batch of HP's... :)

Lance
Lance Weaver