Problem with attachments

Started by Coral, October 12, 2010, 05:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coral

I have a three year old attachment in TAM that will not open. It gives no error message, it just doesn't open. I'd appreciate any help in opening this. See attachment
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Lance Bateman

Hmmm - what type of attachment is that document if you look it up where it's stored on the server?  Maybe it's a "type" that TAM isn't recognizing?  It doesn't look like a form letter - does your version recognize pdf, pic, jpeg, etc?

Quote from: Coral on October 12, 2010, 05:04:51 PM
I have a three year old attachment in TAM that will not open. It gives no error message, it just doesn't open. I'd appreciate any help in opening this. See attachment

Andrew Carrick

Yeah that looks like a "TAM doesn't recognise file type" issue, but the one above is clearly Word so it's a bit odd.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Charlie Charbonneau

Quite possibly it was attached without a file extension for some reason?  try sending the file through email within TAM to yourself so you can get to the file itself.  from the email to yourself you can save the file and and troubleshoot it from there.  give it an extension if missing one, try to force it open with word if it's a doc.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Jeff Zylstra

Also, Microsoft has a couple of different programs that create TIF files.  One uses LZW compression and also creates MDI(?) files (I think).  Just resizing, zooming or rotating the file for viewing saves it with this LZW compression.  I can't remember if it's MS Document Imaging, of MS Document Scannign that does it.  As Charlie said, E-mail the file to a machine that has both programs installed, open each program, then try to open the file.  I've had issues with  file associations changing in XP, so I don't trust it 100% anymore.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Coral

Sending it through email worked. It turns out it was a link to a document. I do not know how that person even managed to attach a word document that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Coral Benton
Epic Online

Charlie Charbonneau

So they attached a shortcut?  yeah that doesn't work so well...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...