Hon lateral file cabinet rails

Started by DebAmstutz, January 14, 2015, 10:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

I want to use an unused Hon lateral file cabinet to lock up some paper files using hanging file folders (since we have a ton of those and it's neater than just piling files in there) going from side to side, not front to back.  This is a new cabinet that has not been used yet and I see two side to side rails in it but they are both on the "far" side of the drawer as I am looking at it.  I think one could be moved to accomodate hanging folders but I can't figure out how to move it.  The rails can't just be lifted out of the slots and I can't figure out how to move them any other way.  I've tried looking on websites but I haven't yet found any that tell me how those rails are moved.  I've seen replacement rails for the lateral files but again, no instructions on how to install them.  This is probably something very simple.

Nobody in the office has been able to help.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Jan Regnier

Our lateral's have the rail for hanging built in - they are legal file size.  The files hang ||||||| (facing sideways) - if you want to hang files facing you I would think you would have to use hanging file folder frames OR Some of the cabinets come with "bars" to  put in the drawer to create the ability to hang files facing you.
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

DebAmstutz

I want the files to hang side to side. 

I just can't figure out how to move the file bars provided for side to side filing from where they're at now to where I need them to be.
Deb Amstutz

Billy Welsh

Usually there are plastic clips that lock the rails for shipping/transport.  They can be tough to remove.

Once you get them off, the rails will typically move pretty easily.  Sometimes it is simply a lift & slide - these have notches that keep them in place when weighted down with hanging files.  The others I've seen (older models I believe) are a bit of a tighter fit but should still slide/snap out.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Zylstra

Often times there are additional metal rails that sit on top of those rails, so that you can hang file perpendicular to how the rails are running.  Could that be the case?  Posting a photo in this instance would be very helpful.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Nope - this isn't what she is asking for......

I think this is what she is referring to....it does require "cross file" rails.
Jan Regnier

Charlie Charbonneau

You sure it's not the "lift the bar up and slide to the right/left until one side the bar comes free, pick that side up above the drawer and then slide back to pull the other side out" variety?
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Jan Regnier on January 14, 2015, 11:18:38 AM
Nope - this isn't what she is asking for......

I think this is what she is referring to....it does require "cross file" rails.

I meant what you said.  Thanks for the picture!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

the rail looks like this.... it looks like you can't just pull them up and out....

HON File Bar
"New Style" Lateral File Bar
New Style hangrails were used on all HON lateral files produced after April of 1994. The ends of the rails are more solid and have a small notch cut out to fit into the drawer slots. The slots on the side of the drawer that accept these rails are "b" and "d" shaped depending how you are viewing.
Jan Regnier

DebAmstutz

There are black plastic clips on the rails and I haven't been able to get them off...guess I'll have to find something that will assist in that process...
Deb Amstutz

DebAmstutz

Woo hoo!  Once I managed to get the clips off the rails did slide so I could place the one on the near side of the drawer!  Problem solved!
Deb Amstutz

Jan Regnier

Quote from: DebAmstutz on January 14, 2015, 01:11:23 PM
Woo hoo!  Once I managed to get the clips off the rails did slide so I could place the one on the near side of the drawer!  Problem solved!

Good job, Deb!
Jan Regnier

Billy Welsh

To paraphrase Mark Levin, "thank me very much!"

;) ;D

Quote from: Billy Welsh on January 14, 2015, 11:00:10 AM
Usually there are plastic clips that lock the rails for shipping/transport.  They can be tough to remove.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect