TAM reinstall after time change?

Started by Hans Manhave, March 12, 2012, 10:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

It appears that v10.8 reinstalls this morning.  Am I correct in assuming that is caused by the savings of daylight we experienced yesterday?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

It reinstalls?  Like, ASUPDATE runs when you launch TAM?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Charlie Charbonneau

Tamclient reregistered for me this morning on my station as well.  Version 11.1.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Mark on March 12, 2012, 10:41:51 AM
It reinstalls?  Like, ASUPDATE runs when you launch TAM?

Affirmative.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

Mark Piontek, MBA

Bob

GeorgeW

Ours reran tamclient.exe also. TAM has done this after time changes for us for as long as I can remember. :)
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Lynne Desrochers

Well that answers why it ran yesterday. Now that you all mention it, i recall it from the past.
Lynne Desrochers

Robin Deatherage

Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Alice Mooney

what is this time change thing you speak of   ::)
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Billy Welsh

@*&@^&%#!!~#&^$!#$&!%

It is so STUPID to have to change 2x a year.

I don't know what came over your politicians to make them ditch this garbage, but kudos to them!
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Hans Manhave

Scientist have shown that it actually saves nothing in our current age.  This dates to the agricultural society of years gone by.  Therefore, it only costs.  Where ore the progressives when you need them?

Lance Bateman

Guess Alice is like Hawaii - no daylight savings time changes.  Ours is due to the fact we are so close to the equator.  Arizona - just to be different?

Alice Mooney

Quote from: Lance Bateman on March 12, 2012, 01:27:43 PM
Guess Alice is like Hawaii - no daylight savings time changes.  Ours is due to the fact we are so close to the equator.  Arizona - just to be different?
actually tried to look that up this morning.  Almost everything I found said AZ doesn't because it's too confusing.
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Bob

As long as I've known AZ and I grew up there, never did..   I wish California would do same!!  DST is lame and I think costs more forcing all those phone, appliances, legacy devices and more having to be updated.  Then the impacts to software investment to fix.   Remember long while back TAM had issues with DST and time stamping.

Just lose it!  Can't say kids anymore.  Kids don't walk to school anymore.  Every parent has to drive them as they don't feel safe.  Farmers, tractors have headlights these days.  What else?

Mark

I vote to ditch DST as well.  However, my TAM v9.4 did NOT run asupdate today.  I've never seen it do that on a time change, but you all mentioned versions 10+.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Jan Regnier

I didn't SEE my station run asupdate when I logged in this morning.... 10.8 here..
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Billy Welsh

I cannot recall if it's every station or just the 1st to log in after clocks change - but I do remember it running after each time change.  I logged in via Term Server last night and it ran - I am sure that was the only log in after the time change and before this a.m.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Mark

Ahh, that would make sense. I'm not the first one here and we always having someone working over the weekend.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Charlie Charbonneau

lol, I was most certainly NOT the first one in after the time change!
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Robin Deatherage

I would like to stay on DST.  Once we "spring forward" I enjoy the extra daylight.  I think we need to just leave it here.  The only good thing about falling back is the very first morning you get an extra hour of sleep and that's it.  Nothing else is good about it (at least that I can think of right now - but I do reserve the right to change my mind  ;))
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations

Mark

Quote from: Robin Deatherage on March 12, 2012, 04:11:03 PM
I would like to stay on DST.  Once we "spring forward" I enjoy the extra daylight.  I think we need to just leave it here.  The only good thing about falling back is the very first morning you get an extra hour of sleep and that's it.  Nothing else is good about it (at least that I can think of right now - but I do reserve the right to change my mind  ;))

I just want to stay on what ever is normal.  Are we on normal time right now, or are we off by an hour?  I don't even know! lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Lance Bateman

Often seems like ASCNet assumes "normal" is Central.
Time is a subjective issue - other than having to make contact with London, and the tv schedule, I don't worry about it much.
It's an issue though when some channels move their programs alons with DST (the major channels), but others don't (like Comedy Central) - makes it hard to track down the "Daily Show"!

Mark

Lance, I am in central.  I just meant what is the normal time?  When we spring forward or fall back?  Who is in Central time and does NOT use DST?  What time is it by you? lol
Mark Piontek, MBA

Alice Mooney

Mark - I think you're saying "normal" is whatever time it was before DST started...ever.  Yes? Nothing to do  ASCnet I think...
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Mark

Quote from: Alice on March 12, 2012, 04:35:23 PM
Mark - I think you're saying "normal" is whatever time it was before DST started...ever.  Yes? Nothing to do  ASCnet I think...

Yes.  No clue how ASCnet came up, but no worries :)  Just want to know when I'm on real time and not fake, made up time.   Who controls TIME?  I call BS on them! ;)
Mark Piontek, MBA

Bob

I'm confused what's normal too.  I would keep it like this all the time.   I enjoy dark mornings and longer days.   I think every notion used to create DST no longer applies today, including saving energy.  All bunk..   Just a pita inconvenience.   Last year or year before that some country opted out of DST.   I think most would today if put to a vote.

Mark

Quote from: Bob Connor on March 12, 2012, 04:45:12 PM
I'm confused what's normal too.  I would keep it like this all the time.   I enjoy dark mornings and longer days.   I think every notion used to create DST no longer applies today, including saving energy.  All bunk..   Just a pita inconvenience.   Last year or year before that some country opted out of DST.   I think most would today if put to a vote.

+1
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

I believe DST is the "fake" time - what we just switched to.  As in CDT - Central Daylight Time.

"Normal" time is in the winter - CST - Central Standard Time.

That being said who decided what is "normal?"  Probably the same wonderful politicians.  I agree with Lance that it is all relative and I'd like to have more evening daylight even in the winter.

But then again I live in the South and this may not be agreeable to the Yankees and Canucks, so I'll let them chime in for themselves  :D
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Bob

Let Canada keep it then..   ;)

When it's dark out you tend to feel like this.

Billy Welsh

You are right - I am being too nice.  If it's too dark for them in the winter, they should move South!
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Jim Jensen

Being one that tries to exercise in the morning, I prefer "normal" time, plus it just doesn't seem right when it's light at almost 9 pm. In Indiana, it's exaggerated even more. We used to be in the Central time zone, then switched to Eastern, but dropped DST. When we went back to using DST, the legislature decided to request staying in eastern zone. In mid-summer, solar noon occurs at about 2pm by the EDT clock. I'd say that's definitely not "normal" time.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

Indiana used to not change time either and I loved it.  I love early morning light-it helps me get moving in the mornings and I get more stuff done when it's light than when it's dark.  I never really figured out how DST "saved" anything, because everyone had to turn lights on in the mornings when the sunrise was an hour later, so what is the difference between having them on at night or in the morning?

The real PITA with DST is getting kids to bed when the sun is still shining.  My grandsons' bedtime has been 7:30pm - not a problem in the winter but I'll have to call my son and see how it's going this week.  Bedtime didn't matter until this year, when the oldest started kindergarten.

I also don't like the fact that it's light so long around the 4th of July that I can't go to any major fireworks displays in my area because they start (sometime after 10:00pm on a clear night) and end too late for my 4:30am wakeup time, unless the 4th falls on a Friday or Saturday, and even then, it's just easier to watch the concerts and fireworks on TV.

Farmers may get a little extra time to harvest wheat or bale up hay/straw in daylight, but not that much to make a major difference. 

We're on 11.1 here and yes, when I logged in on Monday I had the same thing happen and I don't ever recall a re-register after a time change before.

I would also like to ditch DST.  It's one thing Governor Daniels did that was disagreeable to me. When we didn't change the clocks, we were on the same time as Chicago in the summer and I could get TAM support at 7:30am my time which I have needed on occasion.  I still don't understand why Applied doesn't have support people available at an earlier time for people east of Chicago.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Billy Welsh

Quote from: Blackbeard Jensen on March 12, 2012, 08:28:54 PM
Being one that tries to exercise in the morning, I prefer "normal" time, plus it just doesn't seem right when it's light at almost 9 pm. In Indiana, it's exaggerated even more. We used to be in the Central time zone, then switched to Eastern, but dropped DST. When we went back to using DST, the legislature decided to request staying in eastern zone. In mid-summer, solar noon occurs at about 2pm by the EDT clock. I'd say that's definitely not "normal" time.

Now I remember - "normal" time is defined as when the sun is at it highest point in the sky, it is 12:00.  Thanks, Jim!

DST can be nice when you have an evening function that requires or is better in daylight, but those are rare IMHO and I'd gladly give it up if we could stop switching back & forth 2x a year.  Down here it mainly makes you feel baked for an extra hour each day - come summer you usually want the sun to go down so it can cool down a tad.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Mark Rowe

Mark Rowe, CIC
Michaud, Rowe & Ruscak Insurance Associates, Inc.
North Andover, MA 01845
TAM 2014 R2, Etfile, 10 Users

GeorgeW

George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Alice Mooney

this thread is too funny  ;D
and I'm the one that hijacked it   ::)
Epic 2018 Online
1000+ users

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Alice on March 13, 2012, 03:47:22 PM
this thread is too funny  ;D
and I'm the one that hijacked it   ::)

I am incredibly mad about it.  Not. I never do that to anyone. Not.
:)

Billy Welsh

The only reason you'd be mad is if her hijack topped one of yours  ;D
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting

Jim Jensen

I also noticed, while connected remotely that my machine ran the re-registering of TAM items. It must have been on Sunday sometime, which would have made me the first to log in post-DST change. I wasn't bothered by the amount of light at the time, as I was on the east coast. However, when I returned home I remembered why I dislike DST here when it was almost 8 am before getting to full light.

Ok - does that get us back on track, yet also maintain the continued hijack? I strive to be inclusive, you know.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Bob

I love it!  It's not my thread to moderate or split.   :P

Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski

The thread has been back n forth between help & talk, so I figured I would just keep a watch on it  :-)
Marie (Zionkowski) Gozikowski
Iddings Insurance Agency
Wyalusing, PA
WinTAM 11.1    SBS 2003 
8 users

Hans Manhave

All my stations reinstalled 10.8 when TAM was first accessed after the DST.  No terminal server / Citrix stations.