Demo TAM

Started by Ian Blundell, April 25, 2011, 03:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Blundell

I'm trying to install a stand-alone, clean demo version of TAM on a laptop for training purposes.  I know that I've done this in the past but I'm getting an error message when I run the installation program: 
Component Demo Data US Error # -2147
Source file setup.rul   Line Number 759

Anyone have any tricks for getting this to work?
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Alice

Ian - is this now working for you? If not, are you installing v10.7 from the file downloaded from Applied's site? Is that the installation program you're talking about?

Gene Foraker

It has been ages since I installed Tam on a laptop for the users group.   Installation of TAM requires an installation disk or at least a valid tam.com file in the root directory.   Perhaps the standalone installations have a specific tam.com.   Your agency copy may not work.
Gene Foraker CPCU
Gates-Foraker Insurance Agency
Norton, OH

My posts are a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Jan Regnier

Ian

I asked AS yesterday about loading Demo Data on a laptop and they directed me to a KB article (that I already read - simply stating contact AS to get copies of your live data to use as Demo Data) - but she also provided the info below...maybe there is something in it that will help:

After you have followed these steps, go into Security Manager (Utilities – System Administrative – Security Manager) you may want to add a new user account that just will just access the demo data.  In order to do that, inside of Security Manager go to Actions – Add User, once you have filled out the information for that new user account, make sure on the Account Tab that you mark the *Data Access as Demo and not Live.  If you do not wish to add a new user account and want to use an existing account, highlight the username and on the User Account Tab mark the *Data Access as Demo and not Live, click Apply and Ok.  You will now use the new account that you created or the existing account that you edited to access Demo Data only.

Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Billy Welsh

Please post the KB #.  I would like to set up Demo as well.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jan Regnier

Billy - this is all (the KB article) said!

KB3234

How do I install Demonstration Data?
Product:  10.7, 10.6, 10.5, 10.4, 10.3, 10.2, 10.1, 10.0, 9.4, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.5, 8.4, 8.3, 8.2.0, 8.1, 8.0, 7.6.0, 7.5.0, 7.4.0, 7.3.0, 7.2.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.0, 7.0

Solution:

The demonstration data is merely a copy of the live data.  Files may need to be copied every time a TAM update is installed, depending on the TAM update.

Please  contact Software Support to make a copy of your live data to use as demo data.

Found in:

TAM > Using TAM > DemoTAM
Last Revised: April 23, 2009 12:21 PM

KB3234

Contact Support

Jan Regnier

Ian Blundell

Quote from: Alice on April 27, 2011, 01:19:44 PM
Ian - is this now working for you? If not, are you installing v10.7 from the file downloaded from Applied's site? Is that the installation program you're talking about?

Still not working.  I'm using the 10.8 version that is soon to go out to GR.  I get an error during the install.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance

Ian Blundell

Quote from: Jan Regnier on April 28, 2011, 11:07:37 AM
Billy - this is all (the KB article) said!

KB3234

How do I install Demonstration Data?
Product:  10.7, 10.6, 10.5, 10.4, 10.3, 10.2, 10.1, 10.0, 9.4, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.5, 8.4, 8.3, 8.2.0, 8.1, 8.0, 7.6.0, 7.5.0, 7.4.0, 7.3.0, 7.2.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.0, 7.0

Solution:

The demonstration data is merely a copy of the live data.  Files may need to be copied every time a TAM update is installed, depending on the TAM update.

Please  contact Software Support to make a copy of your live data to use as demo data.

Found in:

TAM > Using TAM > DemoTAM
Last Revised: April 23, 2009 12:21 PM

KB3234

Contact Support

This looks to be about setting up a second version of your live system for testing purposes.  I am able to do that but what I'm trying to do is a new install of the demo TAM on the laptop (Joseph Abbott & Co).  I don't want to put my 100+GB version of live TAM on the laptop.
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance

Alice

Ian - you could install Tam on the laptop with the lastest version download you have (I always save the last download) and use your current Tam.com file for licensing. This installs just bare bones. If there is no demo data - folders named demoapps & demotam - you can contact Applied and they can give them to you. Then create logins specifically for demo Tam (demo1, demo2, etc) and give access to demo area.
That's what I did and it works well for us.
HTH

Bob

Rather than install can you copy, modify files and path to make work..  1st I would make sure a user exists and under security manager, data access, change to Demo.

Then copy folders to local drive, add a path so all seen, edit your ini files and change anything referencing network to local drive.  I don't think TAM has many if any registry entries as they use a lot of ini files.  You would also have to copy tam.com license file too.

I haven't done this but tempted as a challenge.  Just no time and no laptop.

Worse case Ian..  You could always surrender and call support.   ;D

Hans Manhave

Wouldn't it be cool if AS used the customer login to let us access a demo site?  This could even be a demo of TAMOnline.

We are (still) on 9.3, but it would be nice if I could see 10.7 and 11.2.  Even Epic 6.x or whatever the latest incarnation is.  Just let them sit there with demo data for any time we wanted to take a peek at current technology.

Am I the only one thinking this? 
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jan Regnier

Quote from: HMan on April 28, 2011, 12:49:31 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if AS used the customer login to let us access a demo site?  This could even be a demo of TAMOnline.

We are (still) on 9.3, but it would be nice if I could see 10.7 and 11.2.  Even Epic 6.x or whatever the latest incarnation is.  Just let them sit there with demo data for any time we wanted to take a peek at current technology.

Excellent Idea! Hans.........Andy - any thoughts on that?
Jan Regnier

Bob

I think that's a great idea Hans.   Just make it available through the existing portal.  This way it's under control no worries of your competitors but makes it easy for us existing clients of Applied to sell others with a little hands on from anywhere.  :)

Bob

Quote from: Jan Regnier on April 28, 2011, 12:52:56 PM
Quote from: HMan on April 28, 2011, 12:49:31 PM

Excellent Idea! Hans.........Andy - any thoughts on that?

Sure now as we talk about him he's missing!   :P ;)

Robin Deatherage

I like it too Hans.  +1 for you.   :)
Robin Deatherage, CIC
Chas. Lunsford Sons & Associates | Roanoke, VA
Applied Private Cloud Server; TAM 2014; Fax@vantage v9; Office 2010;
Applied Hosted Exchange; 3 Office Locations