Main Menu

RS232 Modem Serial Cable

Started by Mary Burger, April 13, 2011, 03:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Burger

Calling all hardware geeks.  I have a client with a Windows 2003 SBS, and we are utilizing Microsoft Fax for incoming and outgoing faxes.  Incoming faxes are no longer coming through, and we have temporarily redirected the incoming faxes to an internet fax service.

We are getting an event id of 32092, and a source of Microsoft Fax.

In the Server Management console, I checked all of the fax settings. I made a few changes. (1), I set the rings before answering from 1 to 2. (2), I set the FIFO buffer down to a lower level.

This did not resolve the issue, so I had a Microsoft technician connect to the server to check all the settings. Microsoft determined that the modem itself needed to be replaced, and it should be an external modem.

So, I bought one from TigerDirect, a US Robotics 56K V.92/V.22 serial fax modem, external.  However, I am having a hard time finding a cable for it.  Tiger Direct can order one, but they are out of stock and it can take a week to get in stock.  We cannot find any at computer stores in town.  Really, you would think Seattle would have them somewhere.

At any rate, I am looking for suggestions on how to either find a cable, or another type of fax solution.  They are an insurance agency, but not TAM.  Anyone use any internet fax services that are cost-effective and reliable?

Thanks.

Mary Burger
ComputerDiva
360-567-8838
Portland, OR
mary@computerdiva.biz
Mary Burger
Owner
ComputerDiva
360-567-8838
www.computerdiva.biz

Bob

Would USB to serial adapter work..  Might be able to find one of this.  Amazon has in stock..

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Serial-RS-232-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000BI95W0

Mark

Quote from: Bob Connor on April 13, 2011, 03:24:25 PM
Would USB to serial adapter work..  Might be able to find one of this.  Amazon has in stock..

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Serial-RS-232-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000BI95W0

In my experience, those are not always stable.

Mary, is this a 9-pin cable with two female ends that you need?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Orlando Alonzo

Orlando F. Alonzo III
RPM Insurance Agency • Staten Island, NY • oalonzo@rpminsurance.com

Jeff Golas

Man around here I could prob look in a gutter and find that cable...chances are for a USR 56k external its a 9pin to 25 pin unless the USRs changed over the years.

Just a note though - those USRs were never known to be that great for faxing, despite their reputation as being decent modems and showing up at the top of fax modem search on Google. You may have better luck if you could find a cheapo used MultiTech, even an older one that still does 14.4k Fax would prob be a lot more reliable, or the most basic Brooktrout board would be your absolute best bet.

As far as finding the cable - office supply stores like Staples, Officemax, Best Buy, even radio shack should still have those. Actually if you have a Frys nearby they'd prob have them as well.

And if you go to Frys...beg and plead with them to open a store on the East Coast...please??
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Sherry Burrell

We have a Frys about 5 minutes from my office here in GA.  That's sorta East Coast!

I just go and wander around - love it!
Sherry Burrell
Oakbridge Insurance Agency-Duluth GA
Epic Online w/CSR24, +500 users

Mary Burger

Thanks everyone.  It had to be 9 pin female to 25 pin male, and I found it at amazon.com.  I am having it shipped to the customer.  The shipping charges were much more than the cable.

We are also looking into other ways to fax instead of relying on the hardware.  With the $50 they pay every month for the line we should be able to get a decent internet service in place.  They are totally paperless, so it should not be an issue.

Mary Burger
ComputerDiva
360-567-8838
Portland, OR
mary@computerdiva.biz
Mary Burger
Owner
ComputerDiva
360-567-8838
www.computerdiva.biz

Mark

We use InterFax for our certificate program.  I think the only problem in theory, is  that you are charged per page when using a service, vs. probably unlimited when using your own phone line.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security