Main Menu

Recent posts

Helpline / Re: Partner Platform Agency Ma...
Last post by Tom Fisher - June 01, 2022, 05:33:35 PM
I think the product used to be called something else, but the company, Strategic Insurance Software has been around since at least 2000.  I don't know anything about them or their product/s but there's comfort in knowing they just didnt popup recently.
Helpline / Partner Platform Agency Manage...
Last post by DebAmstutz - June 01, 2022, 03:52:50 PM
We have another contender in the agency management system change - it's called Partner Platform.  Has anyone heard of this?  It's not related to AMS, is it?  It's way less expensive than Epic and appears to do just about everything Applied systems do.  Texting from your computer, automatic attaching, full accounting, robust reporting.   The client testimonies are all very nice (why would they include any negatives?) so it is almost too good to be true from the descriptions.  I will watch demos and evaluate more after I see them, but just wanted to know if anyone here ever looked at that software.  I think the company is small so maybe they may have better support?  The owner who showed it to me said it's cloud-based, so if it can be accessed without a "client" link like Applied, I'm wondering about security because not everyone in the office updates their computers like they should.  I think the office wifi security is good, but I do sometimes question individual laptops' security, especially if they are used outside the office on a network that may not be as secure as the network in the office.
Hardware / Re: Solid State Drives
Last post by Mark - May 23, 2022, 12:35:16 PM
Quote from: Ric on May 19, 2022, 09:37:27 AM

We do have an iDrac but I have no knowledge of how to access it. Generally it is used by the fine folks at Redbird who manage our server. The  last time they did a firmware update the tech mentioned how convoluted and difficult it was (cost us a few hundred $$$ too).

With my firmware updates via iDRAC, I have to disable a bunch of ports on the switch or LifeCycle manager doesn't get internet (due to how the network ports are aggregated).  So it is a process, which I have down fairly decently.

1) Migrate all VMs off host and put into maintenance mode
2) Reboot to Lifecycle Controller
3) Disable 3 of 4 ports in the Switch LAG group (copy and paste into Cisco cli - super easy)
4) Go through the update process through final reboot (if more that one)
5) Enable switch ports via another cli copy and paste
6) Take out of maintenance mode & migrate VM back and move to next server to rinse and repeat
7) Be sad about how old these servers are and imagine a world with newer servers and newer tech that would make this even easier while setting unrealistic expectations of vendors and my own reality.

I think I typed that last part out loud.
Last post by Ric - May 19, 2022, 09:37:27 AM
Quote from: Jeff Golas on May 18, 2022, 06:21:29 PM
Quote from: Ric on May 18, 2022, 01:21:12 PM
Quote from: Tom Fisher on May 18, 2022, 08:22:10 AM
To what Jeff and Ric said ... Absolutely, both the Dell and the Lenovo software have made driver and bios updates super easy.

The BIOS updates are becoming more necessary than in the past.  It used to be the 'if it aint broke, don't update it' on BIOS, but many of the more recent BIOS updates are actually to mitigate known security issues - so Just Do It (tm).

I wish BIOS updates on the fairly new Dell server that runs our virtual Windows network / vMware were that easy

They can be - if you have an iDrac you may be able to update it via that, but if not, what I did was build a USB key for freedos, then copy the bios updater/bios files over to that for quick and easy bios updating. Im pretty sure you can actually still get a DOS updater. (If not - Linux or WinCE)

Thanx Jeff.

We do have an iDrac but I have no knowledge of how to access it. Generally it is used by the fine folks at Redbird who manage our server. The  last time they did a firmware update the tech mentioned how convoluted and difficult it was (cost us a few hundred $$$ too).

My longing is for a truly simple app that opens with a click, checks for updates with another click, installs the updates with yet another click and then asks to be rebooted - and finished with one last click.   4 or 5 clicks would be preferable and during the business day to boot with the update being able to reboot overnight.

Longing for something akin to Lenovo Commercial Vantage for our server.

Last post by Jeff Golas - May 18, 2022, 06:21:29 PM
Quote from: Ric on May 18, 2022, 01:21:12 PM
To what Jeff and Ric said ... Absolutely, both the Dell and the Lenovo software have made driver and bios updates super easy.

The BIOS updates are becoming more necessary than in the past.  It used to be the 'if it aint broke, don't update it' on BIOS, but many of the more recent BIOS updates are actually to mitigate known security issues - so Just Do It (tm).

I wish BIOS updates on the fairly new Dell server that runs our virtual Windows network / vMware were that easy

They can be - if you have an iDrac you may be able to update it via that, but if not, what I did was build a USB key for freedos, then copy the bios updater/bios files over to that for quick and easy bios updating. Im pretty sure you can actually still get a DOS updater. (If not - Linux or WinCE)
Last post by Ric - May 18, 2022, 01:21:12 PM

Last post by Tom Fisher - May 18, 2022, 08:22:10 AM

Hardware / Re: Printer Scanner Copier
Last post by Tom Fisher - May 18, 2022, 08:10:20 AM
If you're looking for something you won't have serviced by an outside company, we love Brother these days.  Parts and toner are abundant.  Inexpensive enough that if you end up with any serious issues outside of warranty, you just replace the thing.  Sad but true reality of disposable equipment.
Last post by Billy Welsh - May 16, 2022, 06:12:09 PM
Gee, now I'm feeling really good about the M478 the boss-man purchased  :o   It's been fine so far (other than the "login" required by the scanning app so they can data-mine  >:( ) but it is not getting a huge amount of use.

I was going to suggest the same thing as Mark.  At the agency we got really good service out of some Ricoh's purchased used after coming off 3-year leases.  Did the same with a Canon at my last gig.  Don't know how that fits in your budget.  The maintenance agreement is key.  They usually want the toner controlled - you have to buy from them or buy the preferred brand or the contract is null.  In both cases we had the toner included in the maint. contract, and negotiated hard on the per page charge. 

Quote from: Joshua Conner on May 16, 2022, 11:35:36 AMI am looking for a printer scanner copier for about 15 employees it must be laser and print in color.   I have always gone with HP but I bought an M577 and it has been terrible and so have many other hp of similar caliber.   I have been looking on Amazon and I don't see any large enough to handle the workload I will throw at it.   

Any advice?
Last post by Mark - May 16, 2022, 04:19:20 PM
For color, we went with Ikon/Ricoh.  The fact that they maintain it makes it worth it for us.  Many many years ago I was doing the non-leased printer thing and that got pricey and became a pain in the rear.  We actually have one on each floor, but I don't think there are even 15 people in the entire office today.