Main Menu

Recent posts

Hardware / Re: KVM SWITCHES
Last post by Billy Welsh - September 12, 2023, 11:40:57 AM
Well, it would have arrived much faster had it been coming from Mexico.  Just sayin'  :o ;D ::)
Last post by Hans Manhave - September 12, 2023, 10:15:09 AM
It finally came in.  I had no idea it would come from Canada.  Not very absurd at all.  Just created a lot of border travel. Maybe it went sideways looking for a hole in the barbed wire fence.  Just kidding.

Anyway, the thing works, I don't have a "fancy" KVM yet, just connected a single keyboard/mouse/monitor switch I had laying around already.

For some reason I cannot get the computer connected to the domain, but have had little time to figure that one out.  :(
Last post by DebAmstutz - August 31, 2023, 04:12:40 PM
Absurdistan -  ;)
Last post by Hans Manhave - August 22, 2023, 10:58:17 AM
Not done a thing yet because the slightly used Dell computer I ordered (Amazon) for the project was shipped to Absurdistan.  Frustrating, but so it goes.
Last post by Hans Manhave - August 22, 2023, 10:54:01 AM
Quote from: Jeff Golas on August 16, 2023, 03:44:32 PM
If it's a Dell server, and you have an iDrac module in it, you get it with the iDrac card. You can technically run a program that literally accesses the screen via the idrac card.

Otherwise, the big name one I have is Avocent. They're $$$ but work well; the one I have is probably from 2008 and I need to replace it as well.

(Also you may want an IPKVM where you can access it remotely if need be)

This is interesting.  Looking up about an IPKVM, I found I could put a switch together with a Raspberry Pi (Tom's Hardware).  Not that I do anything with Raspberry Pi, but I have those things sitting around.
Last post by Jeff Golas - August 16, 2023, 03:44:32 PM
If it's a Dell server, and you have an iDrac module in it, you get it with the iDrac card. You can technically run a program that literally accesses the screen via the idrac card.

Otherwise, the big name one I have is Avocent. They're $$$ but work well; the one I have is probably from 2008 and I need to replace it as well.

(Also you may want an IPKVM where you can access it remotely if need be)
Last post by Hans Manhave - August 14, 2023, 04:06:51 PM
Quote from: Ric on August 11, 2023, 12:00:04 PM
It's been years since I've used a KVM switch but the one we used was a Belkin and was rock solid.

Good luck FWA!

Thank you.  Am waiting on the machine to see what ports/cables i need to have before ordering.
Last post by Hans Manhave - August 14, 2023, 04:05:52 PM
Quote from: Joshua Conner on August 11, 2023, 03:03:23 PM
just install software like desktop rover and treat it all as one large screen.

i couldn't find 'desktop rover' in a current version/download situation.  Only dating back to 2010.

I have Mini Remote Control from Solarwinds/Dameware, that could work for now, but there is sufficient delay in screen redrawing (I have another machine installed that way), that it is not acceptable.
Last post by Joshua Conner - August 11, 2023, 03:03:23 PM
just install software like desktop rover and treat it all as one large screen.
Last post by Ric - August 11, 2023, 12:00:04 PM
It's been years since I've used a KVM switch but the one we used was a Belkin and was rock solid.

Good luck FWA!