Main Menu

Recent posts

Open Source / Re: Office-like software for f...
Last post by Charlie Charbonneau - May 03, 2022, 05:43:07 PM
I'll second or third those responses.

Kids now-a-days are not even being taught office anymore.  It's almost 100% Google. Docs, Sheets the works.  Will Office be the new WordPerfect?  I can fumble through Google, but still prefer Office.

Looking at the "Chrome Box"  the size of a small router in the Dr.'s office this morning, the PC is due for a drastic redesign and overhaul if it wants to stay relevant. 
Last post by Billy Welsh - May 03, 2022, 04:00:52 PM
I have used Open Office on and off for years.  I like it a lot for the price.  There are some adjustments as far as menus and such, but that's to be expected.

I have much less experience with the Google suite, simply because of circumstances.  I've dabbled with it here and there, but any "medium-to-heavy lifting" has mostly been done with Office.  I've done a fair amount of basic stuff in Open Office.  I have no reason to doubt Mark's assessment of the Google apps.

I also believe like some others that Google is evil.  But then so is M$ and Amazon and others.  But at the same time I have nothing to hide and my individual data just isn't all that valuable.  So I accept that Google is data-mining my Gmail and just live with it.  I use Duck-Duck-Go for searching when I can.  And I no longer use Chrome if I can avoid it.  Probably doesn't do much but make me feel a little better  :o .

We will reach a point in the next few years where my current personal copy of Office ages out.  At that point I will be back to Open Office or the Google apps.  Right now I am paying monthly for Office 365 because of volunteer stuff my wife does for my son's high school lacrosse team.  He will be a senior next year.  When lacrosse is over, so is that monthly expense at which point we revert back to whatever static Office version I last purchased.
Last post by Mark - May 03, 2022, 02:41:47 PM
You're missing out in some regards by avoiding the Google account, but you asked for a downloadable program and I shall deliver to you "Open Office" https://www.openoffice.org/  :)
Open Source / Office-like software for free?
Last post by DebAmstutz - May 03, 2022, 02:30:06 PM
Is there software available that is similar to MS Office that I can use on my (old) notebook computer?  The notebook actually has Windows 10 but can't update to Windows 11 (and that's ok).  I'd like to be able to write and save documents and spreadsheets.  I don't have a Google account and don't want to have one.  Is there anything downloadable that I can obtain without a Google account?
Helpline / Re: Support Chat is gone?
Last post by DebAmstutz - May 03, 2022, 02:25:06 PM
Ditto on the bot comments.

Ditto on the 2010 comments, too!  ;D
Last post by Ric - April 29, 2022, 04:21:18 PM
Quote from: Tom Fisher on April 29, 2022, 04:14:12 PM
I just wanna go back to 2010 or so. lol.

Sooooooooooooooooo there with you! 

My hair had more color back then too! :)
Last post by Tom Fisher - April 29, 2022, 04:14:12 PM
I just wanna go back to 2010 or so. lol.
Last post by Ric - April 29, 2022, 04:09:30 PM
Quote from: Tom Fisher on April 29, 2022, 04:00:04 PM
The bot is a pile of poop.  Even if you tell it what area you want, you still end up in a random queue and almost always have to be xfered to the proper department.

Tom,

I completely agree that "The bot is a pile of poop."! Not sure what issue you are aving but for at least the last 6 months I have been placed in the proper queue -- which is selected before getting to the Bot

Applied Assistant

Choose one of the following options
  IT/Hardware/Networking
  Accounting
  Policy/Proofs Insurance
  Download & RT Interface
  General

Last post by Tom Fisher - April 29, 2022, 04:00:04 PM
The bot is a pile of poop.  Even if you tell it what area you want, you still end up in a random queue and almost always have to be xfered to the proper department.
Last post by Ric - April 29, 2022, 01:04:46 PM
Quote from: Mark on April 29, 2022, 12:34:44 PM
Quote from: Mark on April 29, 2022, 12:31:42 PM
If you can't search with quotes, then you really can't search at all.

I may have spoke too soon.  I think quotes DO work now!  8)

Searching with quotes is a must have