Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Hardware / Re: Cloning 250GB HDD to 500GB SSD
« Last post by Mark on September 17, 2020, 01:12:01 pm »
Or it might not.  I have no media.

Bought the laptop used off Amazon, came with Windows 7 but no media.  Upgraded to WIN 10 on-line for free.

Should be able to download the media and use the product key on the box.  I suppose since you bought it used there is a slight risk someone did that already, but I don't know if it would actually matter or not.
« Last post by Jeff Golas on September 16, 2020, 06:19:06 pm »
Yeah I'd use the USB adapter to move your data over, or if anything just set up the old one to share the data, then connect to it with the new one.
« Last post by Billy Welsh on September 16, 2020, 04:09:47 pm »
Or it might not.  I have no media.

Bought the laptop used off Amazon, came with Windows 7 but no media.  Upgraded to WIN 10 on-line for free.
« Last post by Mark on September 16, 2020, 02:50:06 pm »
Why not just do a fresh install and copy the data over?  Might be cleaner, better, quicker.
« Last post by Billy Welsh on September 14, 2020, 06:22:26 pm »
I made an attempt with Clonezilla over the weekend, and it fizzled fast.  Obviously it is intended for those with real knowledge, not wanna-be's like me.  I thought I followed the instructions, yet could not get the ISO CR to boot.
I have regrouped based on what I have seen through all this and some Google posts pointing to my old IDE/SATA adapter as a potential issue.  So today I busted the bank for all of $9 bucks to get a USB to SATA cable.  I am hoping with this more direct/less muddled connection that Acronis will clone the drive.  If not, I will revisit Clonezilla.
Helpline / Re: Trial Applied Client Network Membership
« Last post by Sherry Burrell on September 14, 2020, 04:22:07 pm »
As a presenter, who has presented at chapters around the country, I have seen a total swap of users.  In Florida, they usually have a day long session with Epic in one room and TAM in the other.  Originally, Epic was in the small room with maybe 10 users, and 40 or 50 TAM users in the large room.  Last time I presented in 2019, it was the other way.  I don't think 10 TAM users were there, and there was a full room of Epic users, probably  50 people.  Same thing happened in Georgia/Alabama chapter, two sessions offered, one on each system.  Part of it is also that people who aren't on Epic yet may sit in on those sessions to see what's different from TAM.

Some chapters are presenting TAM one quarter, and Epic the next.  There is one Epic only chapter in the NY area covering Tri-State (not sure which states).  i would be interested to know what the user #s are now as members of Applied Client Network.  Based on # of licenses, not # of agencies. 
« Last post by Jeff Zylstra on September 14, 2020, 04:01:04 pm »
When I was last doing cloing, I used an open-source product called Clonezilla. Its not as "nice" as a Windows based cloning tool, but it worked beautifully every time I've used it.

Another vote for here Clonezilla.  One thing to remember when cloning is to have the drive connected when you first start the program as that is when many of these cloning programs read the available drives.  The other thing to watch out for is that some of these programs will clone the exact partition, meaning that you will end up with a 250 Gig hard drive afterwards.  That's not a big deal though, since you can use Windows own drive manager to change the partition size by just dragging it to make it bigger.

There are some options with Clonezilla that may allow you to clone a dissimilar cluster size.  You'll just have to read up and Google your question on Clonezilla.
Helpline / Re: Hagerty - Antique vs Collector Policy Types
« Last post by DebAmstutz on September 11, 2020, 02:48:08 pm »
We might have a couple of Hagerty policies, but mostly JC Taylor.
Helpline / Re: Trial Applied Client Network Membership
« Last post by DebAmstutz on September 11, 2020, 02:47:16 pm »
The TAM/Epic balance for meetings was beginning to become an issue when I was forced out of the chapter presidency (term limits) several years ago.  I could see it was going to be a "sticky wicket" since there were (at that time) a lot of staunch TAM users, but Epic was gaining ground in agencies.  There were not too many topics that worked for both, and at that time, not many presenters who could handle both systems.  We could have done a session for one system in the morning, included everyone for lunch and then had the other system's session in the afternoon.  That was one plan.  If we would have had all-day meetings on successive days (if a topic/topics required a day-long session for each system), then there would have been added expense for the presenter, and no guarantee that we'd have had enough Epic attendees to make it worth the extra expense. 

What I think should have happened was to have regions in states combine and have a TAM chapter and an Epic chapter within a larger area.  I would be willing to make a 2-hour drive to anywhere that would provide good information I can use.  That might have solved the issue if people would have been willing to volunteer for officer positions.  Our chapter dissolved when the president after me decided one term was enough for him and nobody else would volunteer. 
« Last post by Jeff Golas on September 11, 2020, 01:52:07 pm »
When I was last doing cloing, I used an open-source product called Clonezilla. Its not as "nice" as a Windows based cloning tool, but it worked beautifully every time I've used it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]