Main Menu

Recent posts

Hardware / Printer Scanner Copier
Last post by Joshua Conner - May 16, 2022, 11:35:36 AM
I am looking for a printer scanner copier for about 15 employees it must be laser and print in color.   I have always gone with HP but I bought an M577 and it has been terrible and so have many other hp of similar caliber.   I have been looking on Amazon and I don't see any large enough to handle the workload I will throw at it.   

Any advice? 
Hardware / Re: Solid State Drives
Last post by Ric - May 13, 2022, 03:50:48 PM
Lenovo Commercial Vantage makes bios updates easy.  They simply need to be run which is on my mothly maintnance list for all of our production machines.
Hardware / Re: Solid State Drives
Last post by Jeff Zylstra - May 13, 2022, 12:11:07 PM
One of the reasons I'm liking Dell computers more these days is their Dell Command Update software.  It checks for updates to BIOS, NICs, Video, Chipsets, etc...   All the things that 99% of us aren't updating, but really need to be updated on a very regular basis. I've found less errors and better performance since running these updates.  And SSD drive firmware are one of the things push out periodically.
Open Source / Re: Office-like software for f...
Last post by Tom Fisher - May 10, 2022, 09:28:18 AM
For those that want a non-microsoft and non-cloud bases solution (Give me the bits!) - we typically push people towards Libre Office over OpenOffice.  Libre seems to have much more development behind it.
Last post by Mark - May 05, 2022, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: DebAmstutz on May 04, 2022, 02:52:14 PM
I think more people would actually be happier if they weren't "married" to their phones.  Just my opinion.

Phones suck.  I use a walkies-talkie a lot.  No even joking.  It can be sort of an in-between texting and talking on the phone.  It can also travel the globe - and can even be used while driving (legally).
Last post by DebAmstutz - May 05, 2022, 11:48:31 AM
Yeah, there is probably an iCloud account somewhere, but I have no clue what the password is any more.  Also, the iPad mini is old enough that it no longer updates.  I am not familiar with Apple items, so that's why the iPad is used as a camera.  It has also been used when there's an app for a conference or convention since I don't have a smart phone.
Last post by Jim Jensen - May 04, 2022, 07:56:24 PM
If you have an iPad. then you likely have an iCloud account, which includes Numbers and Pages. You can use them online from your computer, or you can download the apps to your iPad. I'm not sure whether a windows version exists. I've also used OpenOffice.

Quote from: DebAmstutz on May 04, 2022, 02:52:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies!  I don't mind "missing out" on computer-related things.  I am getting a new phone because the flip phone that I have is 3G.  My new phone will also be a flip phone.  All I need to do is talk and text, neither of which I do frequently, so why would I need a smart phone?  Some features, like the camera, would be nice, but I use an Ipad mini that I've had for ages as a camera.  I think more people would actually be happier if they weren't "married" to their phones.  Just my opinion.
Last post by DebAmstutz - May 04, 2022, 02:52:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies!  I don't mind "missing out" on computer-related things.  I am getting a new phone because the flip phone that I have is 3G.  My new phone will also be a flip phone.  All I need to do is talk and text, neither of which I do frequently, so why would I need a smart phone?  Some features, like the camera, would be nice, but I use an Ipad mini that I've had for ages as a camera.  I think more people would actually be happier if they weren't "married" to their phones.  Just my opinion.
Last post by Mark - May 04, 2022, 10:57:59 AM
Quote from: Jeff Golas on May 04, 2022, 10:43:20 AM
It's not so free anymore...I think Google workspace got rid of the free version, or its limited. That was fairly recent, like in the last 6 months.

You may be right, I have been getting admin notifications about Workspace from Google, but I have not seen anything about them charging for anything.  I setup my kids school with Google Apps for Education way back when and am still an admin.
Last post by Jeff Golas - May 04, 2022, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: Mark on May 03, 2022, 06:19:25 PM
and it's 100% free. That's what I like about that.

It's not so free anymore...I think Google workspace got rid of the free version, or its limited. That was fairly recent, like in the last 6 months.