Setting up new Windows7 computers

Started by Ian Blundell, August 26, 2010, 01:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Blundell

What is the easiest way to deal with administrator rights needed when installing programs on a new Windows7 computer? The user code isn't a domain administrator (at least it won't be when it goes to the user).  I turn off UAC (at least for the install) but it is best to keep switching to the administrator user as needed or should I just make that user code a domain administrator until I have the computer set up?
Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Ian Blundell on August 26, 2010, 01:14:38 PM
What is the easiest way to deal with administrator rights needed when installing programs on a new Windows7 computer? The user code isn't a domain administrator (at least it won't be when it goes to the user).  I turn off UAC (at least for the install) but it is best to keep switching to the administrator user as needed or should I just make that user code a domain administrator until I have the computer set up?

None of my accounts have admin privileges either, but somehow Windows 7 manages to give them through UAC for updates, etc...  When I install something, I normally just right click on the file and choose "run as" and choose the local administrator account.  I've never had a problem with that.

What I HAVE had a problem with is programs that need admin rights to execute properly on their own, without clicking the "YES" button on UAC.  There is a registry change that I had to make so that privileges would get passed from one user account to another.  I'll see if I can find that for you.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Zylstra

Sorry, here is the fix for the issue I ran into, which was that  that the drives were not mapped for the administrator user, so when I tried to execute a program with admin privileges, the drive wasn't mapped.  You can fix that one with this:

http://windowsconnected.com/forums/p/1871/7315.aspx#7315

I also had to do this to fix the issue:

http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Fix_Windows_7_mapped_network_drive_disconnected_51750933
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Ian Blundell

Ian Blundell
BHB Insurance
35 users, TAM 10.7, Fax@vantage 7.2

Jeff Zylstra

No problem.  I also forgot to mention that adding these users to the admin group is not necessary.  UAC will elevate privileges when needed by simply pressing the "yes" button when higher privilege is requested by the program.  If you have an idiot user who presses grants the access, then you might want to think about disabling it or not allowing privilege elevation (not sure if that can be done or not).  I would think that when Windows says "do you want to install this", that your user would say "no".  Unfortunately and like life in general, there is no protection for idiots under UAC.