Letter 32 error - cannot move the focus to control

Started by Andrew Carrick, August 05, 2010, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Carrick

We have had this in Word 2007 and all you need to fix it is to enter user's name and initials in Word Options (outside TAM). However this doesn't work in Word 2003. Anybody seen it before? Symptom is that user cannot create formletters.

Also appears as Error 5152.
Jelf Insurance Partnership
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Jeff Zylstra

No idea, but I'll offer some random thoughts...  Maybe environment memory isn't high enough (I use 4096), try logging into the network as an administrator and see if that helps since TAM creates temp files and sometimes file creation doesn't happen correctly for some reason, maybe check macro security and set it to low.  I've also had issues with Word Viewer being corrupted and affecting the Word installation.  Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed that.  Try cleaning out all old temp files.  That's all that comes to mind right off. HTH.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jim Jensen

Don't forget the old standbys that still cause some issues: Windows theme & macro security. It's not likely the macro security if it's not even opening Word. Running asupdate /rr is a quick, easy attempt, too. There could be an ActiveX issue and the /rr process should fix that. KB also had a reference to a WindowsLive issue - slightly different error message, but similar enough to consider. Solution was that WindowsLive isn't supported and I think it called for uninstallation.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

GeorgeW

Just a shot....is this in citrix? Is asword.dot in the users windows directory in citrix? That is usually the problem here if a user can't create form letters.
George Watson
AssuredPartners NL, Louisville, KY
Epic 2022 R2, MU2

Andrew Carrick

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll dig a bit deeper. It's not a citrix user in this case.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
Me and TAM used to have a thing but we've split amicably. She got the kids, I got the Camaro and the maid.

Bob

Don't know the error myself but in researching most all point to a reference used by file that is not there any longer.  Could be link to image and path, template, macro something changed.   

Charlie Charbonneau

I know previously having word as your email editor threw a wrench in the works as well and would spew out a letter32 error.  I haven't seen it in ages though...
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Andrew Carrick

I'll give that a try, tried most of the other suggestions without success. Even ASUPDATE /rr. :(
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Andrew Carrick

Outlook editor is OK. I disabled a Windows Connector Add-In in outlook and was able to create one formletter, but when I tried again the error re-appearred. The Add-In remains disabled.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Andrew Carrick

Apparently there were too many versions of MS Office on the machine (!) - not sure how they all got there but they were conflicting. Sigh.
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK

Jim Jensen

Quote from: Andrew Carrick on August 09, 2010, 03:17:53 PM
Apparently there were too many versions of MS Office on the machine (!) - not sure how they all got there but they were conflicting. Sigh.

that certainly could cause a focus problem, especially if mixing 2003 & 2007, which are rather different. I still have issues with in 2007 a year or two down the road of using it.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis