Main Menu

KVM SWITCHES

Started by Hans Manhave, August 11, 2023, 10:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

Anybody have experience/recommendation for a reliable (hi-res) KVM switch? 

One that handles two monitors, one mouse, one keyboard.  At least two computers, but 3 or 4 would be even nicer.

Thanks.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Ric

It's been years since I've used a KVM switch but the one we used was a Belkin and was rock solid.

Good luck FWA!
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Joshua Conner

just install software like desktop rover and treat it all as one large screen.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Joshua Conner on August 11, 2023, 03:03:23 PM
just install software like desktop rover and treat it all as one large screen.

i couldn't find 'desktop rover' in a current version/download situation.  Only dating back to 2010.

I have Mini Remote Control from Solarwinds/Dameware, that could work for now, but there is sufficient delay in screen redrawing (I have another machine installed that way), that it is not acceptable.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Ric on August 11, 2023, 12:00:04 PM
It's been years since I've used a KVM switch but the one we used was a Belkin and was rock solid.

Good luck FWA!

Thank you.  Am waiting on the machine to see what ports/cables i need to have before ordering.

Jeff Golas

If it's a Dell server, and you have an iDrac module in it, you get it with the iDrac card. You can technically run a program that literally accesses the screen via the idrac card.

Otherwise, the big name one I have is Avocent. They're $$$ but work well; the one I have is probably from 2008 and I need to replace it as well.

(Also you may want an IPKVM where you can access it remotely if need be)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Jeff Golas on August 16, 2023, 03:44:32 PM
If it's a Dell server, and you have an iDrac module in it, you get it with the iDrac card. You can technically run a program that literally accesses the screen via the idrac card.

Otherwise, the big name one I have is Avocent. They're $$$ but work well; the one I have is probably from 2008 and I need to replace it as well.

(Also you may want an IPKVM where you can access it remotely if need be)

This is interesting.  Looking up about an IPKVM, I found I could put a switch together with a Raspberry Pi (Tom's Hardware).  Not that I do anything with Raspberry Pi, but I have those things sitting around.

Hans Manhave

Not done a thing yet because the slightly used Dell computer I ordered (Amazon) for the project was shipped to Absurdistan.  Frustrating, but so it goes.

DebAmstutz

Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Hans Manhave

It finally came in.  I had no idea it would come from Canada.  Not very absurd at all.  Just created a lot of border travel. Maybe it went sideways looking for a hole in the barbed wire fence.  Just kidding.

Anyway, the thing works, I don't have a "fancy" KVM yet, just connected a single keyboard/mouse/monitor switch I had laying around already.

For some reason I cannot get the computer connected to the domain, but have had little time to figure that one out.  :(

Billy Welsh

Well, it would have arrived much faster had it been coming from Mexico.  Just sayin'  :o ;D ::)
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect