My Knoppix experimental install

Started by Hans Manhave, July 23, 2010, 12:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

I have been brave and downloaded a suddenly popular Knoppix ISO and booted a spare pc with it.  Runs.  No problems there.

Now I want it to join our Win2003Server domain, or at least be able to see the files there.

I have the xSMBrowser on my screen (was able to figure out how to do that myself, wow).
It asks for user/pass and there is a Samba Config and Samba Config (Wins Service).  I am the system admin and do know the passwords etc.

So far I have not been able to connect to the Windows server, but I also want to be sure that I don't wreck something there if I somehow get there.  What is/are my next steps to see the Windows Server shares I want to find? 
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

well if you can browse and seen the domain servers try using domain\username or username@domain when logging in
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

I was just born yesterday as far as Linux is concerned.  That's no joke.

Connected to this with IceWeasel browser.  But how to connect to the inside stuff, that I don't know.  I am connected to the network because this runs through the whole router setup.  Not a DMZ etc.  Learning curve with potholes.  All I really want at this time is connecting a domain share.  When that is connected, I want to use the local hard drive to store the results of what needs to happen to the domain share.  Then I will share the results of that effort here.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bloody Jack Kidd

I'd have to be running Knoppix myself to give you step-by-step - there is usually a network browser of somekind - in my case it's Konquerer, since I'm running KDE on BSD.

if I want to look at a windows server, I will put smb://servername/share in the location bar, I am then prompted for user/pass.
Sysadmin - Parallel42

Hans Manhave

With additional help, I now have it operational.

Also time to post what it is, so anyone else can try this or tell me to do something else etc.

www.watchocr.com

I have thrown a few files in its way and it worked.  Currently still a 0.2.1 release.  I am just running it from the CD with storage to the local C: drive.  Testing.