Office-like software for free?

Started by DebAmstutz, May 03, 2022, 02:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebAmstutz

Is there software available that is similar to MS Office that I can use on my (old) notebook computer?  The notebook actually has Windows 10 but can't update to Windows 11 (and that's ok).  I'd like to be able to write and save documents and spreadsheets.  I don't have a Google account and don't want to have one.  Is there anything downloadable that I can obtain without a Google account?
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Mark

You're missing out in some regards by avoiding the Google account, but you asked for a downloadable program and I shall deliver to you "Open Office" https://www.openoffice.org/  :)
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Billy Welsh

I have used Open Office on and off for years.  I like it a lot for the price.  There are some adjustments as far as menus and such, but that's to be expected.

I have much less experience with the Google suite, simply because of circumstances.  I've dabbled with it here and there, but any "medium-to-heavy lifting" has mostly been done with Office.  I've done a fair amount of basic stuff in Open Office.  I have no reason to doubt Mark's assessment of the Google apps.

I also believe like some others that Google is evil.  But then so is M$ and Amazon and others.  But at the same time I have nothing to hide and my individual data just isn't all that valuable.  So I accept that Google is data-mining my Gmail and just live with it.  I use Duck-Duck-Go for searching when I can.  And I no longer use Chrome if I can avoid it.  Probably doesn't do much but make me feel a little better  :o .

We will reach a point in the next few years where my current personal copy of Office ages out.  At that point I will be back to Open Office or the Google apps.  Right now I am paying monthly for Office 365 because of volunteer stuff my wife does for my son's high school lacrosse team.  He will be a senior next year.  When lacrosse is over, so is that monthly expense at which point we revert back to whatever static Office version I last purchased.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Charlie Charbonneau

I'll second or third those responses.

Kids now-a-days are not even being taught office anymore.  It's almost 100% Google. Docs, Sheets the works.  Will Office be the new WordPerfect?  I can fumble through Google, but still prefer Office.

Looking at the "Chrome Box"  the size of a small router in the Dr.'s office this morning, the PC is due for a drastic redesign and overhaul if it wants to stay relevant. 
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Mark

I prefer Office over everything. But the Google suite makes it so easy to move from computer to computer, access from your phone or tablet, collaborate or share if needed, and it's 100% free. That's what I like about that.
Mark Piontek, MBA

Billy Welsh

I believe they are not being taught Office because Google outsmarted M$.  They are practically giving away the Chromebooks, whereas M$ charges for Office and I'm sure online 365 mysteriously has "issues" trying to run on a Chromebook (just as my corporate G-Mail does not get along with Outlook).  So the kids are being fed a steady diet of only Google.

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on May 03, 2022, 05:43:07 PMI'll second or third those responses.

Kids now-a-days are not even being taught office anymore.  It's almost 100% Google. Docs, Sheets the works.  Will Office be the new WordPerfect?  I can fumble through Google, but still prefer Office.

Looking at the "Chrome Box"  the size of a small router in the Dr.'s office this morning, the PC is due for a drastic redesign and overhaul if it wants to stay relevant.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

Quote from: Mark on May 03, 2022, 06:19:25 PM
and it's 100% free. That's what I like about that.

It's not so free anymore...I think Google workspace got rid of the free version, or its limited. That was fairly recent, like in the last 6 months.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Mark

Quote from: Jeff Golas on May 04, 2022, 10:43:20 AM
It's not so free anymore...I think Google workspace got rid of the free version, or its limited. That was fairly recent, like in the last 6 months.

You may be right, I have been getting admin notifications about Workspace from Google, but I have not seen anything about them charging for anything.  I setup my kids school with Google Apps for Education way back when and am still an admin.
Mark Piontek, MBA

DebAmstutz

Thanks for all the replies!  I don't mind "missing out" on computer-related things.  I am getting a new phone because the flip phone that I have is 3G.  My new phone will also be a flip phone.  All I need to do is talk and text, neither of which I do frequently, so why would I need a smart phone?  Some features, like the camera, would be nice, but I use an Ipad mini that I've had for ages as a camera.  I think more people would actually be happier if they weren't "married" to their phones.  Just my opinion.
Deb Amstutz

Jim Jensen

If you have an iPad. then you likely have an iCloud account, which includes Numbers and Pages. You can use them online from your computer, or you can download the apps to your iPad. I'm not sure whether a windows version exists. I've also used OpenOffice.

Quote from: DebAmstutz on May 04, 2022, 02:52:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies!  I don't mind "missing out" on computer-related things.  I am getting a new phone because the flip phone that I have is 3G.  My new phone will also be a flip phone.  All I need to do is talk and text, neither of which I do frequently, so why would I need a smart phone?  Some features, like the camera, would be nice, but I use an Ipad mini that I've had for ages as a camera.  I think more people would actually be happier if they weren't "married" to their phones.  Just my opinion.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

DebAmstutz

Yeah, there is probably an iCloud account somewhere, but I have no clue what the password is any more.  Also, the iPad mini is old enough that it no longer updates.  I am not familiar with Apple items, so that's why the iPad is used as a camera.  It has also been used when there's an app for a conference or convention since I don't have a smart phone.
Deb Amstutz

Mark

Quote from: DebAmstutz on May 04, 2022, 02:52:14 PM
I think more people would actually be happier if they weren't "married" to their phones.  Just my opinion.

Phones suck.  I use a walkies-talkie a lot.  No even joking.  It can be sort of an in-between texting and talking on the phone.  It can also travel the globe - and can even be used while driving (legally).
Mark Piontek, MBA

Tom Fisher

For those that want a non-microsoft and non-cloud bases solution (Give me the bits!) - we typically push people towards Libre Office over OpenOffice.  Libre seems to have much more development behind it.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com