TAM ON WIN10

Started by Hans Manhave, January 29, 2020, 06:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ric

Speaking of SMB1 and SMB2 we had dickens of a time attaching things to TAM last year and have had to resort to a unique and "unsupported" setup.

Users were getting "Reading bytes from file" dialog/message while attaching an Email etc. to TAM - it would take anywhere from 2-5 minutes then would clear and they could move on.  Worked with a savvy tech at Applied who found we had SMB2 turned on (Regedit on the Windows 2012R2 server = SMB2=1)

We were instructed to turn off SMB2 (SMB2=0) which we did.  No reboot of the server was required (although the tech asked us to do so)

Yay!  This solved the attaching problem instantanly.

The next day our accounting person is in agony over how long it was taking to do "simple" accounting things such as look up a disbursement and other Accounting functions.  it was taking minutes where it had been taking 30 or so seconds.

Putting 1 + 1 together and getting 3, I tried an outside the box idea and turned on SMB2 for our Accounting person, had her reboot and LO and BEHOLD disbursements and other functions were back to their normal / tolerable speed.

We quickly found that any regular (CSR, producer, etc.) workstation that was rebooted reverted to watching the paint dry when attaching things to TAM.

Therefore, since then we have been running with SMB2 off and anytime the accounting person reboots her machine, I turn SMB2 back on while she reboots and logs in, then I turn it back off.

Fun, huh?

Such is the world in which we live.
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Hans Manhave

Ugh!  How sad.

Quote from: Ric on August 06, 2020, 11:12:34 AM
Speaking of SMB1 and SMB2 we had dickens of a time attaching things to TAM last year and have had to resort to a unique and "unsupported" setup.

Users were getting "Reading bytes from file" dialog/message while attaching an Email etc. to TAM - it would take anywhere from 2-5 minutes then would clear and they could move on.  Worked with a savvy tech at Applied who found we had SMB2 turned on (Regedit on the Windows 2012R2 server = SMB2=1)

We were instructed to turn off SMB2 (SMB2=0) which we did.  No reboot of the server was required (although the tech asked us to do so)

The next day our accounting person is in agony over how long it was taking to do "simple" accounting things such as look up a disbursement and other Accounting functions.  it was taking minutes where it had been taking 30 or so seconds.

Putting 1 + 1 together and getting 3, I tried an outside the box idea and turned on SMB2 for our Accounting person, had her reboot and LO and BEHOLD disbursements and other functions were back to their normal / tolerable speed.

We quickly found that any regular (CSR, producer, etc.) workstation that was rebooted reverted to watching the paint dry when attaching things to TAM.

Therefore, since then we have been running with SMB2 off and anytime the accounting person reboots her machine, I turn SMB2 back on while she reboots and logs in, then I turn it back off.

Fun, huh?

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Jeff Golas

Fun, huh?

I'd be wiling to bet there's a naming problem here...naming as in DNS/WINS/NETBIOS, potentially all of the above fighting. THey're all sort of on by default, but really you only need one naming system, and DNS is the way to go. WINS and netbios should be disabled it not done already, and you may have to look at some DNS and/or DHCP settings to see how things are cookin. These kinds of issues forced me to learn this stuff in better detail.

I'd be willing to bet if you do an nslookup of your file server from an affected workstation, it'll prob be routing elsewhere or not resolving properly. You should be able to nslookup the server name itself without the fqdn (server vs server.domain.net), as well as using the full fqdn (server.domain.net).

In addition, I'd be pushing a GPO to disable smb1/2 if necessary. SMB3 is the way to go and SMB1 should be disabled everywhere.

Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Ric

Quote from: Jeff Golas on August 06, 2020, 03:00:25 PM

Fun, huh?

I'd be wiling to bet there's a naming problem here...naming as in DNS/WINS/NETBIOS, potentially all of the above fighting. THey're all sort of on by default, but really you only need one naming system, and DNS is the way to go. WINS and netbios should be disabled it not done already, and you may have to look at some DNS and/or DHCP settings to see how things are cookin. These kinds of issues forced me to learn this stuff in better detail.

I'd be willing to bet if you do an nslookup of your file server from an affected workstation, it'll prob be routing elsewhere or not resolving properly. You should be able to nslookup the server name itself without the fqdn (server vs server.domain.net), as well as using the full fqdn (server.domain.net).

In addition, I'd be pushing a GPO to disable smb1/2 if necessary. SMB3 is the way to go and SMB1 should be disabled everywhere.

Thanx Jeff!

Looking into this...
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Zylstra

I went through this years ago with opportunistic file locking, so I feel your pain. 

I thought this was a good article on the various versions of SMB and what they do, and how to manipulate them.  Good luck and let us know how you come out!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

Turning off SMB2/3 apparently does not relieve the problem.  The user just got used to the station disconnecting from TAM after some time away from her desk and didn't let me know anymore.   :)   I did notice that our Dell 5548 switch likes to reset the "green" setting if power to it is lost.  So I, again, turned that off.  No idea why that switch resets just that feature.  There is no battery inside.  UPS does hold during power outages and the generator kicks on within a minute when needed.  I just watch the switch clock setting more often now because that also resets.  The uptime of the switch has become interesting.  For reference, other work stations (pre-Win10) have been on that cubicle and switch port without a problem.  Considering trying the station wireless, just to see what that will do.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Hans Manhave

Further info, in case someone wants to attack this:

Looking through the event log, there are continuous PNRPSvc 102 errors.  This appears to apply to a Windows Server 2008R2 which we have.  I just have not found something that resolves this.  Also found a bunch of "Bonjour" activity.  I have yet to locate a solution for this.  Windows 10 workstation.

Jeff Golas

Bonjour is a discovery protocol thats usually used by Apple Devices, like ipads/iphones, especially for printing, so even if you don't have Apple devices, it can be coming from a printer.

Not sure what the other is (yet) but curious. I have a meeting all afternoon so I can't play Google today.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com