TAM ON WIN10

Started by Hans Manhave, January 29, 2020, 06:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

How does one install TAM on a Win10 machine?  I was going to log into Appliedsystems.com but it is again necessary to change my password there.  So I came here.

I tried just g:\wintam\tamclient.exe /rr   but that tells me it cannot find ASUpdateBG.exe. 

I must have missed or forgotten something.  But what?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

I don't remember having any issues.  Did you try with UAC off?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Ric

FWA did you run from command line? (Windows R)

G:\wintam\tamclient.exe /rr

I have a few other tweaks during the process as well
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 2020, 11users, Windows 2019 Server,
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Zylstra

Log in as an administrator if your user doesn't have admin rights.  Run as doesn't work here.  I also remember having to surf to the g:\wintam folder and then typing tamclient.exe /rr and also trying asupdate.exe /rr.  I don't remember which one worked, but I remember it being fickle.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Mark

TamClient.exe replaced ASUpdate.exe at some version of TAM, I can't remember which.  2013 or something maybe.  Pretty sure ASUpdate still exists in some form, but TamClient is the install process now.

It's been 3 years or so since I did TAM, but I did have it running on Windows 10, or should I say "running" on Windows 10 for historical access for a while.  It wasn't hammered on, but it was used now and then.  I don't recall any issues.

Some things I've done in my TAM admin days was set file & folder permissions and registry permissions in Group Policy so that users did not have to have local admin rights.  I still do something like that today for Epic so users can install/update without needing admin rights, but it's a little different.

In order to figure it out, we'd need to look t all the errors at all the steps in the process and handle them one at a time.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

I think I remember another of the steps I had to take.  I had to create an actual shortcut on the desktop, using the correct "start in" older and the putting the /rr in the extra criteria field.  It was a bunch of screwing around if I remember correctly.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

Quote from: Mark on February 06, 2020, 09:27:48 AM
I still do something like that today for Epic so users can install/update without needing admin rights, but it's a little different.

In order to figure it out, we'd need to look t all the errors at all the steps in the process and handle them one at a time.

Install is prob needed, but updating shouldn't, it just dumps screen files into the folder really.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Hans Manhave

After many days, I finally got a machine, Windows 10, Office 2010 (!), and appear to have been able, after a full day, to get Windows 10 updated to the latest and greatest, completed an outdated Office 2010 install, join a 2008R2 domain, and appear to have TAM 2014 running fine.  Amazing.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.  I implemented all of them and so therefore this was a good day.

Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Ric

And the crowd goes wild!!!

8)
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Ric on July 22, 2020, 02:18:57 PM
And the crowd goes wild!!!

8)

Glad I created some excitement.  I figure the audience to be cardboard cut-outs and piped in music from computer games.   :)

I do have additional questions about Win10:
1. Why does Win10Pro include so many non-business items?  (XBox, all kinds of games, People, Photos, Paint3D, Groove Music, etc)
2. In Windows Server 2008R2, how does one install a Win10 policy management addition and can those take out the under #1 mentioned type of non-business additions?

Ric

FWA: I'll take a stab at #1   $$$$
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Chrome, Microsoft 365

Jeff Golas

+1 on the $$$. Basically "Pro" is now kinda like Windows 10 home+somebizstuff, and Enterprise is considered what Pro used to be. Nice that they pulled that rug, huh?

Outside of having an enterprise license (which you can bake into an Office365 license if you want now), there are scripts to pull all the crap, but some admins have given up on actual removal, as some of the utilities (like calculator) are now considered MS "Apps" as opposed to executables, and the scripts pull things they shouldn't, or butcher the computer worse.

Its not a good thing, but when I set up PCs I j ust buzz through and remove everything from the start menu. Inevitably it comes back on version upgrades (every year or so) but whatever.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Hans Manhave

Well, that explains it then.  $$$$ and the rest.  I guess I'm getting old, because I every time i encounter this kind of stuff I wonder which youth was employed to design that.  I always hope for improvement, not time wasting but economizing time.  All we need is side tracking ADD & ADHD people or creating same. 

I guess I was supposed to install a 32bit Office instead of a 64bit?  64bit appears to be working fine, just that it also appears to be getting interrupted by other pre-installed Office365 or some other Office version.  It insists asking about signing in on some office system which we do not care to do.

Also, how does one install an ADMX module.  I don't have one yet, but somewhere I saw I would want one for domain/directory management with Server2008R2?

Quote from: Jeff Golas on July 23, 2020, 02:03:14 PM
+1 on the $$$. Basically "Pro" is now kinda like Windows 10 home+somebizstuff, and Enterprise is considered what Pro used to be. Nice that they pulled that rug, huh?

Outside of having an enterprise license (which you can bake into an Office365 license if you want now), there are scripts to pull all the crap, but some admins have given up on actual removal, as some of the utilities (like calculator) are now considered MS "Apps" as opposed to executables, and the scripts pull things they shouldn't, or butcher the computer worse.

Its not a good thing, but when I set up PCs I j ust buzz through and remove everything from the start menu. Inevitably it comes back on version upgrades (every year or so) but whatever.

Jan Regnier

We did uninstall the 64 bit office and installed the 32 bit....it did work OK at first but found issues along the way and made the change.  (we are Epic so not sure if that holds true for TAM)
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Jim Jensen

Yes, I had the same. Applied Support told me that 64-bit Office wasn't supported and causes problems.

Quote from: Jan Regnier on July 24, 2020, 04:13:31 PM
We did uninstall the 64 bit office and installed the 32 bit....it did work OK at first but found issues along the way and made the change.  (we are Epic so not sure if that holds true for TAM)
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis