Activex error 429 -

Started by Hans Manhave, January 28, 2020, 04:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Manhave

I am sure it is somewhere in this forum, but it won't let me search so I'm asking one more time.

What do I need to fix (Win7) with the TAM interface to correct/handle the ActiveX error 429?

I cannot get TAM/Word to work nicely.

Thanks.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Bob

Been so far removed from TAM not much help.   Based on site below and reading either registering dll or ocx file in question manually, don't think the scan recommendation does anything for your issue.  It does mention possibly reinstalling the offending app.  Maybe you can rename the wintam folder locally and rerun that.  Sure others be more helpful.   Not sure what version of tam your running but seems some of the older version in W7 ran compatibility mode.  Moved from TAM so I don't have to dumb down things anymore.  ;)   Maybe link helps?

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-runtime-error-429-on-windows-10-and-earlier-versions/

Mark

Have you already tried start -> Run -> asupdate /rr or tamclient /rr ?

I remember the error and feel like it was an easy fix, but cannot remember the fix off hand.  Is there anything else in the error besides maybe a long number that starts with -2?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jim Jensen

Applied Community suggests it could be Office2013 installed. Could be an issue with Norton AV or simply "call support".
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Hans Manhave

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Normally, it would work now, but nothing has made a difference.

This machine came with Office 2016, years ago.  To work with the rest of the office, Office2010 was installed (by me).  There was a need to upgrade from Outlook 2010 to 2016 and that was done.  There was a problem with 64bit vs 32bit on this 64bit Win7 machine (all our machines are 64bit Win7).  Office 2016 was eventually uninstalled.  The remaining continuous reinstall of Word2010 and Excel2010 was solved with a registry entry some years ago.  I had to make a registry entry on my own machine because something installed pieces of the 2016 Office (could that happen with an Epic-online install?).  Anyway, the adjustment on my own machine worked fine and I never had the ActiveX problem.  I don't know if I can draw a conclusion out of that, eliminating that experience.  I also looked deeply into the rights the user has.  I re-mapped the drive (G:) which actually did have a positive effect, but not on the desired ActiveX 429 issue.  I adjusted the UAC.  I renamed the local Wintam user folder.  Reinstalled TAM /rr.  No change in production of the 429 issue.  The machine/login is not using remote files or whatever those are called.  The user positively does have administrator rights to the workstation.

In case this helps any, the final error is "10001" when getting out of the TAM/Word interface.

I will find the -2 error and any other specific that comes up.

I now thought of one more thing to try and that is to log on the workstation with my own login as domain admin and see if that makes any improvement.

I'm starting to feel that it would be time saving to get another hard drive (there must be one laying around in anti-static wrapper) and rebuild from scratch.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Mark

I totally glossed over the TAM/Word comment.  At what point do you get the error?
Mark Piontek, MBA

Charlie Charbonneau

Windows can be 64Bit, but Word will throw errors similar to what you are describing if the 64 bit version is installed (which it is by default now).   Check Word/Account/About Word and see if you have 32 or 64 Bit installed. 

Google was able to provide me with directions to download the 32 bit installer for office which I downloaded and saved to a flash drive and I've been removing and reinstalling with the 32 on new installs.
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.
.                .                 ..              ...

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Mark on January 29, 2020, 10:21:06 AM
I totally glossed over the TAM/Word comment.  At what point do you get the error?

When wanting to save the created document.  Addins/Applied/Save&Exit. 

More screenshots attached to this message...

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on January 29, 2020, 10:35:00 AM
Check Word/Account/About Word and see if you have 32 or 64 Bit installed. 

I don't see an "account" option?

Charlie Charbonneau

Hrm,   should be around the options menu under file?
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

EPIC 2022, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V & 2016, Win10/11 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus.

Hans Manhave

Quote from: Charlie Charbonneau on January 29, 2020, 11:05:29 AM
Hrm,   should be around the options menu under file?

Word 2010 doesn't have that.  I checked my Outlook 2016 and it does have that.

Charlie Charbonneau

Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on January 29, 2020, 08:27:09 AM
Have you already tried start -> Run -> asupdate /rr or tamclient /rr ?

I remember the error and feel like it was an easy fix, but cannot remember the fix off hand.  Is there anything else in the error besides maybe a long number that starts with -2?

If you go this route, make sure that you rename the C:\Wintam folder on the workstation, and also log in with a Windows account that has Admin privileges.  Trying the "runas" administrator option does not work for some reason.  And also, for some reason, I've always had to map the Applied share as a drive letter first.

Something else to check is any recent Word and/or Windows updates. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Hans Manhave

What does one do if the machine continuously downloads/reinstalls the same Windows updates?  This issue is independent of the other problem (it started much later in time) but I turned off  the auto-update so the machine isn't always in need of rebooting and completing installations.  Win7 is out of support date now anyway.

Mark

There's this for hiding on Windows 7:
https://www.simplehelp.net/2011/01/28/how-to-hide-unwanted-optional-windows-7-updates/

And this for hiding on Windows 10:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-10-hide-updates-or-driver-updates

I've had to use the wuShowHide.exe on Server 2016 for a Ricoh print driver update that keeps showing up even though I don't have driver updates on (I must of at one point).
Mark Piontek, MBA