Author Topic: Outlook won't open PDF File in email  (Read 49 times)

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
Outlook won't open PDF File in email
« on: October 09, 2019, 11:34:15 am »
I have one user where she can open the first PDF file in an email, but can not open any subsequent PDF files.  Outlook just hangs.  I've not tried running a repair yet, but the first file opening just fine, was odd enough that I thought I would ask if anyone has seen this?  I've already uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader, but I thought I'd ask since this has been an issue.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
Re: Outlook won't open PDF File in email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 12:03:09 pm »
Outlook hangs, or Adobe hangs?  does it do the same thing if you save the PDF outside of email before opening?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 02:53:10 pm »
Outlook hangs, or Adobe hangs?  does it do the same thing if you save the PDF outside of email before opening?

Outlook hangs and crashes.  I don't know if it can be opened outside of Outlook, but I think it DOES open.  The csr was so flustered that I didn't get a chance to test it out myself.  I will check it out.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 01:11:51 pm »
Does she have the preview turned on?  I've had this happen with a user that was using the preview.  Turned off the preview and it worked fine.
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 11:17:32 am »
Does she have the preview turned on?  I've had this happen with a user that was using the preview.  Turned off the preview and it worked fine.

No, preview was not showing.  You just saw the files, and had to click to open them.

I ended up uninstalling Office using IOBit's uninstaller, which seems to be the only reliable way to uninstall.  Microsoft's uninstall from Programs and Features seems to leave traces of corruption, and so does their "dedicated" uninstaller which you can download and run as a separate program. 

Anyway, after cleaning up the remnants and reinstalling, it now works.  I'm now wondering if it was related to bad file or folder permissions or something like that.  Anyways, it's fixed.