Author Topic: Has anyone changed credit card POS merchants?  (Read 72 times)

Offline DebAmstutz

• Scalliwag
  • It's never too late, until it's really too late...
Has anyone changed credit card POS merchants?
« on: September 03, 2019, 03:35:13 pm »
We have found a credit card POS merchant that is a LOT lower than the two we deal with now.  There are 2 because two of the branches "did their own thing" way back when they started to take credit cards.  (If someone from this agency would have paid attention to the highly negative side of credit card acceptance, I wouldn't have to do anything with it now.)

Be that as it may,  I was looking for the paperwork on the companies (only one is set up as a vendor in TAM, beats me why the other is not) and between the two companies, there are so many complaints about early termination fees and continued fee withdrawals from bank accounts that I'm almost scared to try to change!  It sounds like a nightmare, and I'm sure that is exactly what those companies wanted change to be so they would have customers forever.  Businesses that closed still had monies withdrawn from checking accounts for monthly fees when they were not doing any business.  One suggestion was to switch to a different checking account altogether and wait until notices for non-payment start to arrive!

So, has your agency either stopped taking credit cards or changed to a less-expensive card merchant and did you get it done without having to pay the former merchant a ton of fees?  I really don't want to get into a mess with 2 different companies.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Online Billy Welsh

• Scalliwag
  • Who's scruffy looking?
Re: Has anyone changed credit card POS merchants?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:05 pm »
We did it a while back, consolidating everything except Amex into a single merchant provider.  We had "inherited" multiple accounts with multiple vendors as a result of mergers.  Had the rep for the new merchant been a little more informative and told me I didn't need to keep Amex separate, then I would have consolidated all into 1 instead of 2.  I was a total rookie and was learning on the fly.  I did consolidate 3 Amex accts into 1.

We had trouble only closing 1 account, and there were no early term fees.  The one problematic account was simply the result of a local bank merger, so getting to the correct person who was willing to close it on my word vs. that of the person who signed 10+ years ago was just about impossible.  We solved the problem by closing the bank account they were debiting for the $35 minimum monthly fee.  In the grand scheme of getting bought right after buying another company, letting this fee run for a while was small potatoes.

All that said, I do not believe you would have to change bank accounts.  When you are ready to cancel, if they give you any grief then just set up ACH Debit Block with the bank, which is a good thing to have nowadays anyway.  You have to "white-list" anyone who is pulling $ from your account.  If they are not on the whitelist, they do not get any $.
Accounting
Uniti Fiber

Offline DebAmstutz

• Scalliwag
  • It's never too late, until it's really too late...
Re: Has anyone changed credit card POS merchants?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 03:02:20 pm »
Thanks Billy.  I wasn't aware of ACH block.  I like it.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again