Author Topic: Attachments vs Activities  (Read 93 times)

Offline DebAmstutz

• Scalliwag
  • It's never too late, until it's really too late...
Attachments vs Activities
« on: August 16, 2019, 02:43:36 pm »
So those of you who are still on TAM - have you revamped procedures using Attachments vs Activities?  I am considering eliminating a lot of activities that are there just because they're duplicates of what has just been attached.  Nearly everyone here goes to attachments first when looking for anything regarding a customer.  If the attachments are the "go-to" items, then we don't need activities for them, or do we?  I'd like to get an idea of what other agencies have done regarding this, as I'd like to get everyone onto the same workflow.  Activities would be limited to download and out of the ordinary items while attachments would become the "new activities'.

Granted, I have been out of the CSR loop for many more years than I was in it, so maybe I'm overlooking something important.  I need to know if that's the case.  When I see "instant" changes on company websites for most personal lines policies, it kind of negates the need for a CHGR activity and implies a CHGM (change made) attachment category or subcategory should be available to use.  I can see POLICY as an attachment category and CHGM as a subcategory too. 

Please give ideas and procedures that could assist in implementing easier and quicker workflows.

Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
  • "Fall down seven times, get up eight" Japanese Pro
    • Mariano Agency
Re: Attachments vs Activities
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 03:04:14 pm »
Activities are mandatory with our agency and will remain so. Activities connected to Attachments have value in that they allow a person to describe, document &/or explain what the attachment is, or the back story to it..

Attachments only give a short line for the description.

Your mileage may vary :)
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 14.0.2, 13 users, Windows 2012 Server, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Internet Exploder 11, Office 2010

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 10:33:31 am »
I disagree about the CHGR activity being obsolete.
A. Not all changes are instant, particularly commercial lines
B. We still need to capture what we're changing and why - who requested it?
C. It's far quicker and easier to find out what a particular change may have been by looking through activities than trying to compare 2 policy images to see what's different

Other activities with attachments are also important- As Ric mentioned - more room for details. When I attach an MVR, I can input the activity and note that it's clean as a quick reference. Attachments may be deleted/purged in the future, with activities remaining.

We still use activities as the first look, then attachments. There are more activities than attachments.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline DebAmstutz

• Scalliwag
  • It's never too late, until it's really too late...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 12:10:12 pm »
I know that CHGR is still good, especially for commercial items that do take awhile to happen.  The CHGM would be for the items that are taken care of immediately on a company website.  The "habit" here is to look at attachments first, since they really do attach everything they do.  It's not a bad thing, just different.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again