Author Topic: Password Apps  (Read 360 times)

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
Password Apps
« on: July 17, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »
Wondering what some of you are doing and what works best.   We use shared accounts and passwords for carrier sites.  Technology is finally catching up with some of them where they know location and in use so next person can't (funny they only now are catching up).   That said and for new training, Safeco requires every user to have own Safeco login.

Other accounts would still be shared.   I don't have any experience with lastpass or roboform etc. and wondered how it worked.    Ideally I would like to control and say this is shared and only I can update and same time allow them to update their own accounts.   Then they would only need to remember login for app let app log them in.  Idea of control is if someone leaves, I can turn them off or add another. 

Questions are:

1:  Admin can manage all/over-ride
2:  Allow me to manage and update shared accounts
3:  Allow staff to update own individual accounts

I'm thinking they all do but again never used and now need to look into.  Wanted personal hands on feed back.  Pro's and Con's.

TIA!

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
Re: Password Apps
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 09:41:42 pm »
I can't answer your questions directly right now but I'm almost positive one of the paid version of LastPass will do what you are wanting. 

There is an Enterprise version which has gotten fairly pricey over the years since LogMeIn bought them - but they still have a 'teams' version which isnt as expensive and still does a lot.  They always have the free version but it is limited when it comes to the sharing and controls you're looking for.

Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:30:45 am »
There is an Enterprise version which has gotten fairly pricey over the years since LogMeIn bought them

Good to know - thats a shame as I have a call coming up with them.

That said...from the agency perspective, we really should be moving away from shared logins wherever possible, both from a security perspective as well as a compliance perspective. A lot of the carriers are pushing for individual logins now as you need to be able to prove who did what to a record, which you can't do with a shared login.

We use OKTA for some shared logins, but it can be a pain to set up for carrier sites that change often.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Online Billy Welsh

• Scalliwag
  • Who's scruffy looking?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:32:49 am »
I have been using Roboform for years, but I am not sure if it can do the admin things you are looking for.  You can certainly share it among multiple devices, but each device/user has the ability to update data.

I started using it with an intention to share the single login, and later wanted to start exploring for the functionality you are looking for.  But I never got there, between the Epic conversion and then taking this job.
Accounting
Uniti Fiber

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 12:50:17 pm »
Jeff that's just it we are moving away from shared.  However some markets are small and do so.  I need a hybrid app that allows both individual updates and where I can login and update said shared accounts.   

People can't remember things or write them down which defeats purpose.  I want a single login to keep simple for them and they just visit and login with their credentials or the shared ones.

I think LastPass has business version for 3.20 a month per user?  Maybe that was Roboform?  Just looking for anyone who's done this and knows for sure if I can get my end result.   

Offline Joshua Conner

• True Believer
    • Indiana Applied User Group
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 02:21:08 pm »
We are using lastpass enterprise and I love it other than the fact that logmein bought them.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
12 Users on Tam 30 total
Epic 2016
25 Users on Epic
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 02:28:15 pm »
Thanks Tom, Jeff, Billy and Josh!  Leaning towards paid version of LastPass.   I may look at roboform see if it's any better.  Did try it years ago.

Online Billy Welsh

• Scalliwag
  • Who's scruffy looking?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 10:04:02 am »
Bob,

I happened to attend a seminar last night, and this topic was covered briefly.  So here's a couple of others that may be worth a quick glance.
Accounting
Uniti Fiber

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 12:20:39 pm »
Thank you Billy!

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 02:44:38 pm »
HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST using Outlook contacts for password storage. People do this often, but then if your computer or phone is left somewhere unlocked, or if you email account is compromised, every password you have there is as well. Not a good idea!
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 06:35:37 am »
Lastpass was compromised in 2015.  Itís not a big deal. Hereís something I wrote on it back then:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-lastpass-breach-wasnt-bad-thing-tom-fisher
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 11:56:58 am »
I don't have personal experience with it, but one of our owners has been using 1Password for several years (after he had his identity stolen), and swears by it.
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones