Author Topic: Duplicate Installations of Office  (Read 278 times)

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
Duplicate Installations of Office
« on: May 28, 2019, 03:24:56 pm »
Remember a couple weeks ago when I thought I was getting Office 365 instead of Office 2016 off from the DVD installation?  I was, and I am.  It turns out that even Microsoft's own uninstaller doesn't work for crap, and it doesn't remove all traces of Office. When TAM sees that, it gets confused because it checks for another profile for Outlook, but that outlook profile isn't there when it comes time to displaying Emails.  It's there to choose in a list, but it's not there when it tries to display emails.  And, there are duplicate icons and menu entries for every single program included in Office.  I've decided we need a new set of emoticons that prominently features ones that show the top of a person's head exploding, and steam shooting out of every cranial orifice!   
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
Re: Duplicate Installations of Office
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:23:04 pm »
I'm doing 3 installs today on new boxes and deal with this.

Nick O helped me as the installer kept blowing up at the end of installation.   He modified it so now my routine is first to uninstall the 30 day trial of Office 365.  I also removed the Office Tools.  Then after clean reboot install our office.   Initially even like this at the end of install, it would fail.  Why Nick fine tuned it a few times.  Now it works.  Occasionally it will error but if I repeat the install it works.

You're installing from old Protected Media and think failing.   Maybe you can copy files to folder then modify install or have someone tweak it for you as Nick did for us. 

In regards to outlook profile again some tweaking/cleanup should help.   Sounds like your working on existing boxes existing content.  Whereas mine are new and being setup.  I won't run into an existing profile on box.  Should be able to search and remove/edit registry or again maybe someone can help you as they did me.   We use Red Bird for anything over my expertise and they made the problem seem rather simple.  JMO.  Good Luck!  :)   

Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:18:12 pm »
After I say that, install fails again having done just what I said.   Now I reach out again for some magic and it will work when done but no clue what modifications being done to installer.
Bob Connor
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 01:49:21 pm »
After I say that, install fails again having done just what I said.   Now I reach out again for some magic and it will work when done but no clue what modifications being done to installer.

This one fell on me..  Normally I install Office then do all windows updates (same steps for last 6 deployments and worked well).  This time it wanted windows updates before allowing office install, then another round of office updates to finish it off.  The later I'm use to but didn't need updates before hand in past deployments.  Now it will be update, install, update again.   
Bob Connor
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:47:19 am »
So, how do you uninstall the 30 day trial?  Since I've already installed Office 2016 on all my machines, I hope I've not passed the point of being able to uninstall easily.  I didn't think about the office 2007 install of MODI for viewing TIF files.  I'll uninstall that too, but I'd really like to uninstall that Office 365 trial software.  Thanks, Bob!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 12:33:07 pm »
Uninstall all things office.  Whether MS Office or Office.  Also Office tools if found.  It would be listed in add/remove programs.  When nothing is left, reboot.   Run windows updates.   Reboot then install 2016, when done, again run updates.

Bob Connor
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 12:34:54 pm »
If you go to Start, Apps and Features, just click on "Microsoft Office Desktop Apps".    I just uninstalled that, and it worked immediately with no reinstall of TAM or Office 2016!  Cool.  Thanks, Bob!

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 01:11:17 pm »
Welcome!  Very finicky and have to remove every trace of any part of office even tools.  :)
Bob Connor
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 02:37:50 pm »
Yes, I downloaded Microsoft's own specialized installer program for Office, and that didn't even do it.  It left traces that interfered with Office 2016.  I did find a "click to run office" program running in task manager and tried to stop that.  No luck.  The only thing that helped was that somewhat nondescript entry in Apps and Features.  Apparently that is resident in memory or something, and interferes with any program updates being made to any other version of Office.

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 01:36:33 pm »
Uninstall all things office.  Whether MS Office or Office.  Also Office tools if found.  It would be listed in add/remove programs.  When nothing is left, reboot.   Run windows updates.   Reboot then install 2016, when done, again run updates.

This right here!
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com