Author Topic: Norton's personal VPN  (Read 380 times)

Offline DebAmstutz

• Scalliwag
  • It's never too late, until it's really too late...
Norton's personal VPN
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:58:32 pm »
I've heard a commercial several times for a personal VPN that Norton is offering so your phone or other device using public wifi will have its own encryption.  Cost starts at $3.33/month, if memory serves.  Opinions on this?  I'd consider this for my portables that use wifi (not my phone...it's still a flip phone, and yes, it's close to 10 years old), those being a notebook computer and an iPad mini.  I know Norton is good with security, and it would be great to have an extra layer of security on any wifi.
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
Re: Norton's personal VPN
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 11:01:33 am »
When you google for reviews you find that they have few servers.  The price is attractive though.  I'm looking for a service myself, with servers around the world.  Hopefully one that is non-US-based like this forum.  Open to referrals.  :)
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Offline Joshua Conner

• True Believer
    • Indiana Applied User Group
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 01:22:31 pm »
I personally think its overkill and you dont need it.  But then again I am not a road warrior and rarely on public wifi. 
I personally do not do business with Symantec I dont like how they run things.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
12 Users on Tam 30 total
Epic 2016
25 Users on Epic
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 01:44:32 pm »
ExpressVPN uses outside servers.  Rated high for this reason.  Fees are monthly based and drop the longer the contract period like rent.  Month-to-Month costs more than 1yr and 2yr cheaper than a 1yr and so on.

I know some who use NordVPN and are happy.   

Like Joshua, I don't like anything Norton.   2 main reasons.   One often bloatware, try and sneak/control too much.   Norton is a target for most and they quickly find ways around it.   Enterprise apps are better but their personal apps are crapware as far as I'm concerned.  JMO

Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 02:50:04 pm »
Don't forget that it's only a secure connection between you and the VPN service.  Who knows what goes on from there, but whatever VPN you use can potentially view everything that is sent over the VPN.  At minimum they definitely get access to your browsing history because they are playing middle man between you and the websites you visit.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 11:44:17 am »
With hotels and many other places (such as planes, trains and airports) having open wifi, I was wondering if that created any hijack etc problems.  Several years ago when there were Olympic events in Russia, many athletes' access was compromised.

Now I'm faced with similar exposure.  Most international communication will probably go by means of Snapchat, Whatsapp, Skype etcr over wifi.  I would be happy knowing that I don't have to worry about it.  Otherwise I want to make it as safe as reasonably possible.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:07 pm »
I would guess that the most dangerous leg of the journey is between your laptop and the servers of the VPN, and especially the wi-fi link in particular.  Not sure how secure this leg of the journey really is however, even with a VPN. 
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 12:46:28 pm »
Continuing the research.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/activities-services/public-awareness-and-prevention-guides/risks-of-using-public-wi-fi

I don't know the date of the above.  I am not concerned with laptops, but just mobile phones and an iPhone in particular.  Those things receive email so they will need to log into one or more email accounts.  All those things that a Facebook login is used for etc.  I can also assume that just wearing the USA team outfit and logos are additional things that attract as opposed to a single individual with a small backpack in native clothing.

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 07:49:45 am »
A VPN encrypts your session between the the endpoint and the server.  that means that, if configured properly, all traffic is routed through the encrypted tunnel.  Once it gets to the VPN, it's fair game.  However, in order to sell a VPN product like these, I'd have some basic expectations for what is happening at the server side.  that said - you don't know what is happening at the server side.  Hence, if you want to use it to protect yourself on public WiFi, use a reputable company.  BUT, still consider yourself to be on a public network.  Maybe just a little more secure of a public network.  Just a little.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 01:28:19 pm »
If it is "just a little", it isn't worth the money.

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 03:32:28 pm »
I have been testing or playing with ExpressVPN for a few weeks.  It appears to work fine in Texas and Colorado.  One thing I noticed was that one needs to turn it off when not on wifi.  At least, the phone services (Waze, Google Maps, imessage) work that way.  Otherwise one may not get the messages or the location service cannot find where you are.  I hear the commercials for NortonVPN a lot, but in my experience, this VPN usage does not make one invisible.  The data is hopefully scrambled, but the MAC address and IP number being used are exposed.