Author Topic: What vendor are you using for VOIP service  (Read 433 times)

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Re: What vendor are you using for VOIP service
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 04:50:31 pm »
Ditto what Billie said, with an addition of the phone system equipment itself being from the same source.   We have an issue which I've shared many times here, where the phone system doesn't sense any call and the phone company's DSU/CSU doesn't sense any phone system!  When that happens, all of these calls goes to my cell phone.  You can imagine how happy that makes me, since I can't transfer the call, record the call, or usually even do anything when I'm in the car!  Of course, nothing shows up in our phone system logs, and the only thing that shows up in the DSU/CSU log is a code that there is no phone system available.  We use a Panasonic phone system, which is one of the most popular and prevalent small business phone systems.  No one can shed any light on it.

Jeff - how is the phone system connected? Since you say CSU/DSU I'm assuming thats via a T1 or PRI line? If so, what's the timing source setting on the phone system? With T1/PRI gear usually there's a setting to where the system either gets it from another device, or provides it. Its not uncommon for 2 devices to be set to the same thing and choke once in a while.

Also if this is PRI/T1, your system should have a line status log that may be seperate from other logs. It would show a yellow or red alert if a problem occurred.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 11:28:17 am »
Ditto what Billie said, with an addition of the phone system equipment itself being from the same source.   We have an issue which I've shared many times here, where the phone system doesn't sense any call and the phone company's DSU/CSU doesn't sense any phone system!  When that happens, all of these calls goes to my cell phone.  You can imagine how happy that makes me, since I can't transfer the call, record the call, or usually even do anything when I'm in the car!  Of course, nothing shows up in our phone system logs, and the only thing that shows up in the DSU/CSU log is a code that there is no phone system available.  We use a Panasonic phone system, which is one of the most popular and prevalent small business phone systems.  No one can shed any light on it.

Jeff - how is the phone system connected? Since you say CSU/DSU I'm assuming thats via a T1 or PRI line? If so, what's the timing source setting on the phone system? With T1/PRI gear usually there's a setting to where the system either gets it from another device, or provides it. Its not uncommon for 2 devices to be set to the same thing and choke once in a while.

Also if this is PRI/T1, your system should have a line status log that may be separate from other logs. It would show a yellow or red alert if a problem occurred.

Yes, it is a PRI/T-1 line from Comcast.  The PBX phone system is connected to the CSU/DSU via an Ethernet crossover cable.  Thinking that was the issue, I've replaced that quite a while ago.  I agree with your analysis on timing.  I used to think it was a momentary outage, but I see no indications of internet connection failure when this is occurring.   I believe that the timing is coming from the CSU/DSU, and not our phone system, but I can't be sure. 

I do know that when this happens, the CSU/DSU does not see a phone system available in its logs.  The phone system does not "see" any all or log any error when this happens.  I've come to the conclusion that this is a transient and infrequent enough thing that I can't afford to fight and win on, so yesterday I had Comcast turn off the Unreachable Destination Number feature.  Hopefully callers will just think it's THEIR phones, call back and immediately get a good connection.   I have a feeling that we didn't have this feature on with out TDS phone service, but that it occurred then as well.  I am checking into the timing issue, however.  Thank you, Jeff.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 11:30:51 am »
And in reply on the timing issue, my phone guys says "Timing Master Clock is set to Telco.  Always."
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 11:34:11 am »
Just WAG type of idea, but is there a way to peel off another channel of the 23 voice channels, and use it for signalling too?  I know that cell phone SUCK at duplex communications, and I'm wondering if the same is true of signaling on a PRI/T1 line?  This sounds more like a wish or a prayer, than a real question, I know.

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 10:31:38 am »
And in reply on the timing issue, my phone guys says "Timing Master Clock is set to Telco.  Always."

Ok so now call Comcast and get them to check the setting on their end. If its on "auto"...force it to "master" or "provide timing".

...and very ironically...I'm getting a call from Comcast. Right now. I didn't do it!
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 02:55:57 pm »

Ok so now call Comcast and get them to check the setting on their end. If its on "auto"...force it to "master" or "provide timing".

...and very ironically...I'm getting a call from Comcast. Right now. I didn't do it!

Will do on that.

And speaking or irony, it reminds me of last night.  My wife is looking at new bike shoes for me and she turns her tablet and manually shows me.  Ten minutes later on MY Facebook ad feed, I see the exact same shoe, same size and from the same place.  How the heck does that happen? 

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
  • "Fall down seven times, get up eight" Japanese Pro
    • Mariano Agency
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 03:08:09 pm »
more creepieness :o
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 14.0.2, 13 users, Windows 2012 Server, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Internet Exploder 11, Office 2010

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 03:31:38 pm »
Using wifi for data and it's matching IP address? I'm pretty sure they use voice info, too. I had FB on in the background on my phone and was on a ride. Something we talked about on the ride showed up in the add feed. Either REALLY weird coincidence, maybe not. I tend no to leave them open in the background as much anymore.

Will do on that.

And speaking or irony, it reminds me of last night.  My wife is looking at new bike shoes for me and she turns her tablet and manually shows me.  Ten minutes later on MY Facebook ad feed, I see the exact same shoe, same size and from the same place.  How the heck does that happen?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 06:11:13 pm »
I notice more and more when I talk about something it appears in ads so they have gone beyond cookies.  I think apps that have voice control are in fact listening and catering.   I went to great lengths to stop tracking whether cookies or voice.  I turned off mic on google, siri, and others and cleared browsing history with google, and many others.  Also turned off location services except for 911.  Amazing how much they track.  Example Weather Bug (and some other apps like Foursquare I think and Instagram) was able to learn a woman in PA drove 33 miles everyday to school for work, where she stops, where she lives (on news).  I turned off location tracking, entered in city manually.   Never knows where I am.   Interesting this came up and I'm darn sure phones, tablet, other devices that can listen are doing so now.  Not asking us or advising us.   No other way so some things to come up that were only words in discussion and conveniently now recommendations.  Without a doubt facebook is listening and you may notice when you go to work and use work computer even there now ads come up which you've never searched or asked about.  Optional but I choose to dumb down my smart devices. ;)
Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 08:39:06 am »
So the tie-back to VOIP here is that the apps on your computer will learn your calling habit and since the VOIP phones lines are part of your network, it will now start making phone calls for you, based on past call history or listening and hearing you say that you really want to call up that underwriter and 'give them a talking to!'
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 02:24:29 pm »
more creepieness :o

I used to think I was paranoid and it was conspiracy theorist to think this way, but now that both Facebook and Google have lawsuits against them for privacy infringement, illegal data sharing and other breaches of trust, few things surprise me anymore.

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 11:26:33 am »
So the tie-back to VOIP here is that the apps on your computer will learn your calling habit and since the VOIP phones lines are part of your network, it will now start making phone calls for you, based on past call history or listening and hearing you say that you really want to call up that underwriter and 'give them a talking to!'

I think I know a few people that might be OK with that.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline DebAmstutz

• Scalliwag
  • It's never too late, until it's really too late...
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 02:47:39 pm »
My cousin insists that people with the right equipment could listen to you through your land line phone even it if was hung up.

I trust nothing these days.  Privacy is long gone unless you have zero devices and drive an old vehicle with no computer in it.  FOr some folks, there may be a reason why those classic cars are so valuable - privacy!
Deb Amstutz
Back in the TAM saddle again