Author Topic: Microsoft Exchange and Iphones  (Read 575 times)

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
Microsoft Exchange and Iphones
« on: February 01, 2019, 04:09:51 pm »
OK.  Am I missing something here?  The last few Iphones that I've connected to Exchange accounts would not work with Microsoft Exchange without me first installing Outlook for IPhones first.  That isn't mentioned in any of the documentation that I have seen.  You can add all of the server information, username and password and it says it's all correct, but it never gives you the last screen that asks you what features you want to sync (email, contacts, notes, etc...). 

I'm wondering if that is because we use MDaemon's version of MS Exchange, if this is just some kind of "glitch", or has this always been the case and I just never knew it?  You can install Outlook for IPhones either before or after entering all of the server and other data manually and either way works.  I just find it very odd.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
Re: Microsoft Exchange and Iphones
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:36:10 pm »
I got this today, could be impacting you.. Not sure.

------

As previously communicated (MC124102 in Oct 2017, MC126199 in Dec 2017 and MC128929 in Feb 2018), we are moving all our online services to Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2+ to provide best-in-class encryption, and to ensure our service is more secure by default.

Keeping on track with this promise – Office 365 will be retiring 3DES on February 28, 2019. This was first communicated in MC171089.

In order to help you prepare for this change, we have provided reports for you to track your TLS 1.0/1.1 and 3DES usage.

Additionally, we have addressed the concerns and questions you have had with these reports.

[How does this impact me?]
Starting February 28, 2019, Office 365 will begin retiring 3DES. This means that all connections to Office 365 using the cipher 3DES will not work.

Please keep in mind that Office 365 will NOT retire TLS 1.0/1.1 on February 28, 2019, even though the reports contain information about both TLS 1.0/1.1 and 3DES connections.

Expect issues connecting to Office 365 services if you are using 3DES from this date onwards. TLS 1.0/1.1 connections without the 3DES cipher will not be affected.

[What should I do to prepare for this change?]
Ensure that all client-server and browser-server connections using 3DES, to connect to Office 365 services, have been updated.

By going to http://securescore.microsoft.com , you can find if you have any TLS 1.0/1.1 and 3DES usage for Exchange. Click on ‘Score Analyzer’ and scroll to the - Remove TLS dependencies tab.

If you want details on who is connecting using these weaker ciphers and protocols – click on the ‘Get Details’ button that will launch a flyout where you can click on ‘Launch now’. This will take you to the Secure Trust Portal (http://servicetrust.microsoft.com) where you can download your TLS 1.0/1.1 and 3DES reports. The reports contain the following information:
•  Usernames/IP addresses of the users/devices connecting to Exchange using TLS 1.0/1.1 or 3DES
•  Which protocol/cipher is being used for the connection - this will either be TLS 1.0/1.1 or 3DES
•  The user agent string that is being used for this connection - this gives information about the type of device used for the connection

The report is refreshed daily. If you have made any changes and updated any clients/devices, you would need to wait for 24hrs to see this change in the reports.

Please review the Additional Information for more details.

Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Joshua Conner

• True Believer
    • Indiana Applied User Group
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:45:44 am »
I have never had a problem.

We run mostly iphones here and have in house exchange 2013.

I will say the latest version of IOS the mail app crashes more often and loses sync.  you have to go turn off mail and turn it back on to resync the account.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
12 Users on Tam 30 total
Epic 2016
25 Users on Epic
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:27 am »
I hate to say it but I think this is where having the "cloud" will help more with these types of issues. I have nearly 60 phones and no issues like that at all.

Bobs mention of TLS 1.2 is definitely something I'd look at, as well as authentication changes with IOS 12. I know in IOS 11 "modern authentication" wasn't supported if you pushed profiles via an MDM provider (most corp environments), whereas IOS 12 supposedly supports it across the board now.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:43 am »
I'm wondering if Bob's TLS issue is the culprit as well.  It asks all of the questions like server names, user name and password, but unless you install Outlook for IPhones, it doesn't ask which features you want to sync and it never receives emails or brings up an inbox.  It just errors out.  If Outlook for IPhones is not required for ActiveSync, I'm wondering why Outlook for IPhone exists?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Online Billy Welsh

• Scalliwag
  • Who's scruffy looking?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 12:53:45 pm »

To "promote the brand" while taking up at least 3x the space of the comparable Apple apps?   ;D

If Outlook for IPhones is not required for ActiveSync, I'm wondering why Outlook for IPhone exists?
Accounting
Uniti Fiber

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 02:06:01 pm »
If Outlook for IPhones is not required for ActiveSync, I'm wondering why Outlook for IPhone exists?

Because there's a big need to provide email services without using activesync. Originally the Outlook app used different infrastructure and wasn't really trusted by anyone, however it seems they're heavily developing it to be the end-all-be-all for email. Its no different from "Good" mail on Blackberries, where some people didn't trust the local storage on Blackberries and instead used an app that provide a live connection to it instead.

It can technically extend email functionality beyond whatever native app is on the phone (be it IOS or Android). For example if Office365 has some new nifty feature that the IOS mail client doesn't support, OWA-Mobile could provide the feature before the native app adds it.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:54:59 pm »
OK.  I guess that's way above my level!  I don't know why you'd want anything other than Active Sync to synchronize both mobile and desktop emails.  Heck, I can't even keep one device in check, much less multiple devices that don't synchronize! 

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 03:24:28 pm »
OK.  I guess that's way above my level!  I don't know why you'd want anything other than Active Sync to synchronize both mobile and desktop emails.  Heck, I can't even keep one device in check, much less multiple devices that don't synchronize!

The difference is...activesync stores that email on your device. If that devices is lost, that email is still (likely) sitting on your device.

With OWA you can say its either live or maybe a few days of email cached...so the exposure is minimal.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 03:32:36 pm »

The difference is...activesync stores that email on your device. If that devices is lost, that email is still (likely) sitting on your device.

With OWA you can say its either live or maybe a few days of email cached...so the exposure is minimal.

OK.  Not familiar with OWA, but that makes perfect sense. 

Offline Jan Regnier

• Scalliwag
  • Users Helping Users
    • Regnier Insurance Services
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 05:03:32 pm »

WHY is life so complicated?  (job security for some....frustration for most!)
Jan Regnier
Regnier Insurance Services, Highland, IN 6 Users
TAM V2017 HF3, MS 2012 R2 Server, Windows 10 PRO WS; MSOffice 2016

Offline Charlie Charbonneau

• Scalliwag
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 11:09:51 am »
A little late on the weigh in, But I'll mirror Joshua's response.  In-house Exchange 2013 with mix of current/non current IOS and Droid phones attached.   No issues and I've never installed Outlook for IOS or any similar app. 

So that leaves the question: Am I doing it right? or very wrong!?   :o
Charlie Charbonneau
GBMB Insurance
San Antonio TX.

TAM2016MU2, CSR24, Windows 2012 Hyper-V, Win 7/10 Pro Stations, Sophos Anti-Virus 10 w/Pure Message & Exchange 2013.
Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

Offline Jeff Zylstra

• ScurvyDawg
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 01:40:38 pm »
I have to think it's some kind of glitch with Alt-N/MDaemon's implementation of Microsoft Exchange that is fixed by installing this app.  I was Googling issues with this and found out that in previous versions of Outlook, you had to download and install a separate component to get IPhones to sync with Exchange.  That was back in 2007, but I thought it was interesting.

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 01:54:46 pm »
I have to think it's some kind of glitch with Alt-N/MDaemon's implementation of Microsoft Exchange that is fixed by installing this app.  I was Googling issues with this and found out that in previous versions of Outlook, you had to download and install a separate component to get IPhones to sync with Exchange.  That was back in 2007, but I thought it was interesting.

Thats a different story, although maybe simliar. With google...Google stopped supporting activesync (I think), and so you needed an additional means to sync email.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24