Digital Timer to reset internet Connections

Started by Jeff Zylstra, January 25, 2019, 05:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Zylstra

Hello everyone,

I've come to the conclusion that I have to add a timer or some other device to automatically power cycle the cable modems for my phone system, and also our internet.  They're flakier than a computer running Windows 3.1 after about 30 days or so.  A reboot always seems to help speed and reliability, so I'd like to put my phone modem and DSU/CSU unit on one timer, and my internet cable modem and router on another timer so I can reset them once a month on a Sunday night or some other good time.  The question is, where to find one and which one to use.  Anyone have any ideas?
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Golas

If its a Comcast modem...call them and tell them you want one that works.

On teh flip side, if they don't...go "oops" and accidentally uhh, help it find its way to the floor ;-)
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Billy Welsh

I had a cheap digital timer some years ago, & a while back I tried to find it for something but couldn't.  Of course I had seen it several times when I did NOT want to use it, then when I did it was gone.

Anyway, I cannot recall if it was on a 24-hour cycle or weekly like a thermostat.  I only needed it way back for daily stuff, so I cannot recall if I programmed it once or 7 times with the identical program.  I do recall that's it's clock was not very good  :o

In other words, I'd be shocked if there isn't something out there to meet your needs.  I may go looking for one myself, as my Cox modem at home has the same issue.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Tom Fisher

Something like this?  Or if you don't want an entire strip you can just get a smart-plug - I use the amazon ones and they're about $25.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Tom Fisher on January 28, 2019, 08:40:27 AM
Something like this?  Or if you don't want an entire strip you can just get a smart-plug - I use the amazon ones and they're about $25.

What is the "this" that you speak of?  Maybe Comcast is blocking the picture!  ;)
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jeff Zylstra

Doubtful because of the stormy and cold weather, but the tech who was here Friday is supposedly checking in with me later today.   We've gone down about 20 times today, for anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes.  I've rebooted the modem a couple of times, and he wants to see the log in the modem itself, so I'll just suffer a bit longer.  I have a feeling he thinks my Net Uptime Monitor program that pings 3 dns servers is causing these outages, or that they're figments of my imagination. 

Of course, when he was here last Friday, the modem was flawless not failing once after being rebooted.  I can understand that modems may need to be rebooted every 30 days (well, not really), but not 3 days.

Tom Fisher

There was a link and the NSA removed it - there's zero chance that I just didn't hit CTRL-V properly ;)

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-HS300-Protection-Required-Assistant/dp/B07G95FFN3/
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Joshua Conner

yes my power company sells those strips at deep discount you can check that too.
Joshua Conner
Conner Insurance
Tam 2014 R2
Epic online with CSR24 and Salesforce Integration
39 Employees
Former Vice President Indiana Applied User Group
Webmaster http://www.appliedusergroup.com
Blog http://mylifewithtam.blogspot.com

Jeff Golas

I battled this exact issue with a vendor who was providing a managed firewall, all sorts of finger pointing, etc. I told them it looked like a hardware issue, they insisted it wasn't. Back and forth for a bit and finally I said I was going to smash it if they didn't just flat out replace it. They did...and problems went away.

So again...fix the actual issue and don't band aid!

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff Zylstra on January 28, 2019, 11:44:46 AM
Doubtful because of the stormy and cold weather, but the tech who was here Friday is supposedly checking in with me later today.   We've gone down about 20 times today, for anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes.  I've rebooted the modem a couple of times, and he wants to see the log in the modem itself, so I'll just suffer a bit longer.  I have a feeling he thinks my Net Uptime Monitor program that pings 3 dns servers is causing these outages, or that they're figments of my imagination. 

Of course, when he was here last Friday, the modem was flawless not failing once after being rebooted.  I can understand that modems may need to be rebooted every 30 days (well, not really), but not 3 days.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Tom Fisher

If you're having constant issues as Jeff says, you should get to the root of the problem but it's also handy to have a way to remote power cycle these things anyway.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Tom Fisher on January 28, 2019, 01:34:23 PM
If you're having constant issues as Jeff says, you should get to the root of the problem but it's also handy to have a way to remote power cycle these things anyway.

Comcast recommended I reboot the modem every 30 days.   They're convinced this is the issue.  They've replaced the modem at least twice already, so if this fixes it, I'd be completely OK with that.  I'd love to get it fixed once and for all!

Jeff Golas

Good the make/model of that modem and I'll bet you'll see others having simliar issues. I've heard of this type of stuff in the past, and usually they have alternate makes/models where one doesn't work for whatever reason.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Mark

Are you able to bring your own modem?  That might also solve the problem.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on January 31, 2019, 12:21:35 PM
Are you able to bring your own modem?  That might also solve the problem.

No. Unfortunately not.  They have to own the equipment.

apiercy

Hello AppliedUsers! It's been a long time! I've been out of the insurance game for a bit. I own an IT Services MSP  now.

Wattbox and/or Datto offer managed power strips that can monitor the internet connection and automatically reboot internet equipment when it senses an outage. You can also control the outlets remotely (assuming the internet is online). It's probably overkill for the topic, but amazing for supporting remote/branch offices.