Author Topic: Signing in to M$ Office Pro Plus on TS not working  (Read 469 times)

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
Signing in to M$ Office Pro Plus on TS not working
« on: January 23, 2019, 09:07:47 am »
We discovered yesterday if a user is not logged into Office on the terminal server, they are unable to log in.  No error, no clues in event viewer, just lets you sign in and continues to operate as an "unlicensed product" keeping the "Sign in" active.  Logging into same account on browser or in an iPad app works fine.  When I log in from my PC, it allows me to log in and keeps me logged in until I close the app.  Every time I reopen from the PC, I have to log in again.  We rebooted servers, domain controller and terminal servers.  Nothing changed.  Another weird thing that I noticed yesterday, and I really don't know if it is related, not all of the servers are showing under Network in File Explorer.  I can get to them by typing the server name in the address bar, but they aren't showing and they used to.

Our IT consultant brought in a second domain controller and installed some updates last weekend.

I can't think of anything else.  Any ideas?
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Re: Signing in to M$ Office Pro Plus on TS not working
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 02:32:53 pm »
The click-to-run installers have a specific setting that I think you can set either via a switch or the configuration file that specifies a device as a "shared" device. In doing so, that particular instance its on it's own and specific to the user using it, unlike say, a laptop that's shared amongst 2 interns where as long as one intern had an active login, it keeps the software alive on that laptop for all users of it (per se...although in reality each user should in theory be licensed).

That setting is designed for terminal servers.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:53:14 am »
Yes, it has been set up that way and we have over 50 users that never had this problem.  This only started happening on Tuesday.  We can't figure out what changed.   :-\
Heather Reetz
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:06:58 am »
MS has been having a lot of problems at least the last couple days...maybe something on their end. That said *knocking loudly on wood* we've been good so far.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:11:26 am »
It is working now. The problem looks like it came from the Jan. 8 update and seems like it was fixed by the most recent update.
Heather Reetz

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 12:54:20 pm »
Ah the wonderful updates. Just curious was that update pushed via Click 2 run?
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 11:13:20 am »
Ah the wonderful updates. Just curious was that update pushed via Click 2 run?

Yes.
Heather Reetz