Author Topic: Office 365-Sharing folders & files w/ staff-saved & synced locally not web based  (Read 293 times)

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
  • "Fall down seven times, get up eight" Japanese Pro
    • Mariano Agency
We've been on Office 365 for months and would like our staff to start sharing files and folders with others in our agency as the need arises, whether they are on site or have an office in their home.

Starting off slowly and carefully (like the old roller rink announcer always said)

How do we share OneDrive folders & files w/ staff AND have them saved & synced locally with the user??? i.e. have them appear in File Explorer.   Definitely want to avoid a web based GUI

To start, our first goal will be to move all of the folders and files currently in the "Documents" folder of a Producer to their OneDrive folder (using File Explorer) followed by sharing a couple of folders such as Proposals with the Producer's Assistant.  The Assistant would open File Explorer on their computer to find, open, modify these shared files.    The modified files and folders would then automatically sync to the cloud and ultimately back to the Producer's OneDrive on his computer.

I would love to do all of this from File Explorer but the OneDrive share option does not appear robust enough.  I would be okay if we have to set things up on a web based GUI but for this to work seamlessly, the files and folders need to appear in File Explorer and sync automatically.

BTW: Dropbox does this well.

Thanx.

Ric
Ric Tucker
Manager of Information Systems
Past President, New Jersey Chapter

J A Mariano Agency
TAM 14.0.2, 13 users, Windows 2012 Server, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit workstations
fax@vantage 9.0.5,
Acoustic guitar, drums, percussion
Internet Exploder 11, Office 2010

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Since you mention dropbox...the tidbit there is that Dropbox is ALL web based GUI :-)

As far as I know, a shared file does not sync locally by default, mostly because that file is really not "technically" a permanent fixture when shared. I know it's making excuses but at least thats where I think they're coming from there.

Also keep in mind OneDrive is more or less "personal" storage, even though yes it can be used for workgroups and seems to be the way to go for that, Sharepoint and/or MS Teams are sort of a better approach there, and with sharepoint (and teams since its just a front for sharepoint), you CAN locally sync files automatically.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
    • Mariano Agency
Since you mention dropbox...the tidbit there is that Dropbox is ALL web based GUI :-)

As far as I know, a shared file does not sync locally by default, mostly because that file is really not "technically" a permanent fixture when shared. I know it's making excuses but at least thats where I think they're coming from there.

Also keep in mind OneDrive is more or less "personal" storage, even though yes it can be used for workgroups and seems to be the way to go for that, Sharepoint and/or MS Teams are sort of a better approach there, and with sharepoint (and teams since its just a front for sharepoint), you CAN locally sync files automatically.

Jeff,

Perhaps I am not explaining it well enough.  I realize copies of the files are stored in the cloud / web based for both Dropbox and OnedDrive but I am referring to the full file structure, files and folders are also stored locally and appear in File Explorer (see screen shot)

Perhaps I am trying to use OneDrive for something that "SharePoint" is meant for. I have not looked at Sharepoint as yet figuring each of the big cloud based storage competitors do things similarly (Google Backup and Sync does too)

Please feel free to share your thoughts on SharePoint.

Thank you.

ric
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
I know what you meant, I was going to remove the first line after I thought about it :-) As far as I know...Onedrive doesn't sync shared files/folders locally. Microsofts intention is that if someone were sharing a few files, especially anything microsoft related that it would sort of follow Googles lead in that you'd be editing things natively in the web apps vs the desktop apps.

Onedrive is basically a front end for sharepoint (working with sharepoint directly is painful to say the least). MS Teams also uses Sharepoint for it's file storage as well...so again, its the lipstick on a pig.

If you're sharing group-related files like you would normally in a network drive, thats where sharepoint comes into play, and it's easier to implement using Teams for example than it is to set it up from scratch.

Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
With O365 Microsoft is really trying to change the way people do things and it's not a one size fits all scenario as they'd like it to be.  They really want to have people in the portal, the web based apps, etc.  and imo, they are really hanging a lot of people out to dry.

As Jeff mentioned - if you're looking to share files, Sharepoint or Sharepoint via Teams is probably where you want to start.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
    • Mariano Agency
I know what you meant, I was going to remove the first line after I thought about it :-) As far as I know...Onedrive doesn't sync shared files/folders locally. Microsofts intention is that if someone were sharing a few files, especially anything microsoft related that it would sort of follow Googles lead in that you'd be editing things natively in the web apps vs the desktop apps.

Onedrive is basically a front end for sharepoint (working with sharepoint directly is painful to say the least). MS Teams also uses Sharepoint for it's file storage as well...so again, its the lipstick on a pig.

If you're sharing group-related files like you would normally in a network drive, thats where sharepoint comes into play, and it's easier to implement using Teams for example than it is to set it up from scratch.

Jeff,

My eyes will have me respectfully disagree.   One drive files are stored locally on my local computer, similar fashion to Google Drive (Backup & Sync) and Dropbox

C:\Users\Ric\OneDrive - JA Mariano Agency\Documents

Therefore my thoughts are for someone that a file or folder is shared with someone else would also be stored locally using a similar file structure.

Guess I'll need to dive into SharePoint.

Thanx!

Ric
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
    • Mariano Agency
With O365 Microsoft is really trying to change the way people do things and it's not a one size fits all scenario as they'd like it to be.  They really want to have people in the portal, the web based apps, etc.  and imo, they are really hanging a lot of people out to dry.

As Jeff mentioned - if you're looking to share files, Sharepoint or Sharepoint via Teams is probably where you want to start.

Tom,

I'm fine using web portals when they make sense / are efficient but they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming away from a local (or network) file structure until it makes sense.  There are many good reasons for storing a copy of synced files and folder on a local drive.  Redundancy, speed of access, Internet failures come quickly to mind.

I will be checking out SharePoint but it sounds like I will need to pack an extra dose of patience for the trip.

Thanx for your input.

Ric
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
Hey Ric,

Not sure if this 100% meets your needs, but if you look at Citrix ShareFile, there is a "Citriix Files" program that maps a drive to your ShareFile account.  So, it seems it would give you the "feel" and use you're looking for, but I don't think the files are actually local.  I bet there are a few ways you could achieve a local pull, though if you want to make sure you have a local copy as well.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
I've used OneDrive for a while now and have it local on my computer too. I also have DropBox.

When I use shared folder in DropBox, they are the same as any other folder, but multiple people can access them. They show up just the same in my Windows Explorer as local copies, since I have the DropBox app installed. For better or worse, anyone that shares that folder can add, delete or change the contents in it and your local versions will update accordingly.

I can access all of my folders in OneDrive locally on my machine in Windows Explorer, but the 'share' function works differently. Sharing a folder or file allows someone into your file or folder, but does not add it to the local folders in Windows Explorer. You have to be online in OneDrive or O365 to see folders that have been shared with you.

I happen to have access to 2 different OneDrive/O365 accounts (plus soon a 3rd) and can play a little with sharing between my two accounts.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
    • Mariano Agency
Hey Ric,

Not sure if this 100% meets your needs, but if you look at Citrix ShareFile, there is a "Citriix Files" program that maps a drive to your ShareFile account.  So, it seems it would give you the "feel" and use you're looking for, but I don't think the files are actually local.  I bet there are a few ways you could achieve a local pull, though if you want to make sure you have a local copy as well.

Hi Mark,

Thank you but we are trying to use the products we already pay for and are committed to like Office 365.  Hopefully there is a SIMIPLE solution. We can't be the only one trying to do do this.

Case in point... today I needed to send 40MB of PDFs to an underwriter at AIG.  They have a 20 MB limit so that's at lest two Emails right?  ENNNNGH, wrong answer.  trying to get just the right balance in two messages can be tricky, especially because even though Outlook says the message in 19MB it will get blown up as it is modulated and demodulated across the interwebs

Dropbox to the rescue.  I zipped the 11 files up in a compressed folder and put it on a folder in my account, then grabbed a link and away it went.  poof!  Oh, this is my personal Dropbox account. I only used it to git er dun

Sigh

There has to be a better mousetrap.
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
    • Mariano Agency
I've used OneDrive for a while now and have it local on my computer too. I also have DropBox.

When I use shared folder in DropBox, they are the same as any other folder, but multiple people can access them. They show up just the same in my Windows Explorer as local copies, since I have the DropBox app installed. For better or worse, anyone that shares that folder can add, delete or change the contents in it and your local versions will update accordingly.

I can access all of my folders in OneDrive locally on my machine in Windows Explorer, but the 'share' function works differently. Sharing a folder or file allows someone into your file or folder, but does not add it to the local folders in Windows Explorer. You have to be online in OneDrive or O365 to see folders that have been shared with you.

Thanx for the insight Jim

I happen to have access to 2 different OneDrive/O365 accounts (plus soon a 3rd) and can play a little with sharing between my two accounts.
Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
For this kind of sharing...thats what OneDrive would do easily. Just put them in a folder, right-click, click blue cloud and share to the underwriter.

Hey Ric,

Hi Mark,

Thank you but we are trying to use the products we already pay for and are committed to like Office 365.  Hopefully there is a SIMIPLE solution. We can't be the only one trying to do do this.

Case in point... today I needed to send 40MB of PDFs to an underwriter at AIG.  They have a 20 MB limit so that's at lest two Emails right?  ENNNNGH, wrong answer.  trying to get just the right balance in two messages can be tricky, especially because even though Outlook says the message in 19MB it will get blown up as it is modulated and demodulated across the interwebs

Dropbox to the rescue.  I zipped the 11 files up in a compressed folder and put it on a folder in my account, then grabbed a link and away it went.  poof!  Oh, this is my personal Dropbox account. I only used it to git er dun

Sigh

Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Ric

• Gold Member
    • Mariano Agency
Jeff,

This should work for sending a large amount of data to an underwriter but does not work as I would like for sharing within our office.  I'm trying to get a local copy of the files and folders saved on the other person's computer that automatically sync back to the account that shared them.

I will look at sharing them via UNC.

Thanx.

Ric

For this kind of sharing...thats what OneDrive would do easily. Just put them in a folder, right-click, click blue cloud and share to the underwriter.

Hey Ric,

Hi Mark,

Sigh

Ric Tucker

J A Mariano Agency
fax@vantage 9.0.5,