Author Topic: Exchange Shared Calendars  (Read 90 times)

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
Exchange Shared Calendars
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:31:55 pm »
Our primary use for Exchange is share calendars - being able to see each others' calendars. We don't host our email. Wed SBS 2010, which included Exchange. That's no longer an option. I have a new server with 2016 Server Essentials. I can add Exchange. However, I've been considering Hosted Exchange. Yes, it includes Calendars, but the last time I looked, it was not as complete as in-house. We use Outlook Desktop to view our calendars. A couple of us (including me) use Outlook to sync our phones with our calendars. The last time I looked at hosted, it did not push calendars to Outlook Desktop and onlike did not seem to sync with my phone. Was I missing something that would let us do all of this, or does Hosted Exchange 2019 add these options, or is there another solution that does? Google Calendars did not offer true sharing.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
Re: Exchange Shared Calendars
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:23:15 am »
I'm on in-house Exchange myself, but if you get a true hosted Exchange it should not function any different than in-house.  I will let those who use it provide more feedback.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:40:40 am »
This isn't meant to sound as crappy as I'm sure it does, but you aren't special, lol.

One of the big reasons many organizations use Exchange is for it's robust calendar sharing abilities and like Mark said, you should notice no difference between hosted vs on-prem.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
Ok, I never said I was special, just explained our usage so it's clear what I'm looking for and I'm not a dedicated IT guy. Does Office365 not offer what would be referred to as "true" Hosted Exchange? Because I tried it using Office365 and couldn't get the pieces to all work right - it seemed to only want to really work with Outlook.com or in O365. Was I missing something?
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 12:36:52 pm »
Ok, I never said I was special, just explained our usage so it's clear what I'm looking for and I'm not a dedicated IT guy. Does Office365 not offer what would be referred to as "true" Hosted Exchange? Because I tried it using Office365 and couldn't get the pieces to all work right - it seemed to only want to really work with Outlook.com or in O365. Was I missing something?

Office365 is pretty much hosted Exchange. Very little (almost no) difference between that and using it on-prem for the most part. All the sharing capabilities are all there. What are you trying to do?

Note that by default/out of the box, permissions are set as "free/busy data only" on calendars. You have to change the default permission on each calendar to something else if you want one user to see another user's calendar, and use "editor" if you want users to have full read/write access on other user's calendars.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »
Are Public Folders included in O365?
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 01:26:17 pm »
Are Public Folders included in O365?

Yes but I think they've been trying to retire them for years. There are "shared mailboxes" that are similiar but a little better.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 02:03:16 pm »
Exchange 2016 has public folders that are stored in "public folder mailboxes" instead of public folder databases.  I know they wanted to get rid of them, but I think the push back was too strong.  Not sure if it's the same with O365 though.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 05:27:26 pm »
My goal is to have shared calendars syncing into Desktop Outlook 2013/2016. I want to be able to see other people's calendars and vice versa. I know we will need to activate sharing, but when I tried previously, I couldn't seem to get the data in and out of Outlook desktop both directions from O365. That looks like my solution though since I have Server Essentials and see that Exchange isn't supported on Essentials (unless I also want to upgrade to Standard).
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 01:53:47 pm »
My goal is to have shared calendars syncing into Desktop Outlook 2013/2016. I want to be able to see other people's calendars and vice versa. I know we will need to activate sharing, but when I tried previously, I couldn't seem to get the data in and out of Outlook desktop both directions from O365. That looks like my solution though since I have Server Essentials and see that Exchange isn't supported on Essentials (unless I also want to upgrade to Standard).

Jim, it should nearly work out of the box, the only thing that needs to be done is the default permission is reading free/busy data...you just go into the properties of the outlook calendar and set the default to "editor" so that all users can see other users calendars and/or make changes.

Were you trying to set up a "Hybrid" configuration? If so I wouldn't go that route...just set up mailboxes on O365, export your exiting mailboxes to PST files, connect Outlook to new Mailbox on O365, and re-import PST. You can also use a migration tool like Skykick to move the data for you.

I'm simplifying this but thats really it in a nutshell...one thing you may be running into is autodiscover issues, since most likely Outlook is autodiscovering to your existing Exchange server. You need to make some DNS changes in order for Outlook to find the O365 mailbox instead.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »
Hosted Exchange is getting set up. Will see if all works right this time. If not, at least I'm not the tech support dept this time around.
Jim Jensen
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis