Hardware & Infrastructure > Hardware

Failed Mycloud ex4 raid 5

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tom Fisher:
Do you know which of the 4 drives took a dive? Replace that one and rebuild the array.  Consider going to RAID10 configuration.

Jeff Zylstra:
Related question here.  Does chkdsk work on RAID drives?  Does Spinrite work on RAID drives?  How about any other Linux based recovery utilities?  The first thing I'd do is a backup, but after that happened, I'd be inclined to experiment and see how software views the integrity of the array.  Maybe an onboard RAID utility?

Joshua Conner:
one of the drives didnt take a dive it was the whole thing that took a dive after a software update.

It has done this before after a software update it randomly decided that it didnt like the drives and told me the failed right after a firmware update in the past.  I got through that data intact and now about a year later it wouldnt reboot after a firmware update.  So i left it unplugged for 4 days and it came back to life. 

So I used the built in utility to back the whole thing up to a usb drive.  So I feel better about it now.

Mark:

--- Quote from: Tom Fisher on October 10, 2018, 09:42:27 am ---Do you know which of the 4 drives took a dive? Replace that one and rebuild the array.  Consider going to RAID10 configuration.

--- End quote ---

Doesn't RAID1 0still only tolerate a single drive loss?  Sure it rebuilds faster and in theory means less of a chance of a second failure during a rebuild (less thrashing), but it also requires more drives to get the same amount of storage as RAID5.  Of course, if you can do RAID10 it is better than RAID5, I do know that.

Mark:

--- Quote from: Joshua Conner on October 10, 2018, 10:53:27 am ---one of the drives didnt take a dive it was the whole thing that took a dive after a software update.

--- End quote ---

RAID Controller issue/controller firmware issue.  Scary.  But you did say this data wasn't important.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version