Author Topic: IOS 12 New Killer Feature - Shortcuts  (Read 268 times)

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
IOS 12 New Killer Feature - Shortcuts
« on: October 05, 2018, 03:40:55 pm »
I don't know if any of you have messed with IOS 12 that was released a couple weeks ago, but it actually has one new (in my opinion) killer feature that may be pretty useful even to our little world. Its called IOS Shortcuts, and basically adds a macro system to IOS that allows you to use rules, simliar to IFTTT, Zapier, Microsoft Flow, etc. to provide a way to perform a series of tasks, either automated or with a simple button press.

https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts/welcome/ios

Interestingly, here's a use case that could be considered...interesting:
https://www.businessinsider.com/ios-12-shortcut-uses-iphone-to-record-police-during-traffic-stop-2018-10

I'd be really curious (and sincerely hope) that Applied allows some functionality from Applied Mobile with this, as this could really open some doors for us.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Jim Jensen

• Scalliwag
    • Jensen Ford Insurance
Re: IOS 12 New Killer Feature - Shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:14:48 am »
The police pull-over is a very interesting example of a use for it. No matter how you feel about recording a police stop, it's a really robust set of steps that are used in that example. I'm sure there are tasks that I perform that might be set up in a similar manner, but I'll have to think about them to see if they are consistent enough to use this.
Jim Jensen
CIC, CEO, CIO, COO, CFO, Producer, CSR, Claims Handler, janitor....whatever else.
Jensen Ford Insurance
Indianapolis

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:29:55 pm »
I spoke with the Product Manager for Mobile and he had not yet heard about this.  (Still too excited about the Capital G investment.)  However, he was very interested to learn more about it.  I sent him some links, so we'll see where this goes. 

I personally haven't even updated to iOS 12 on my iPad yet, but will so I can mess around with this.  Seems there could be many possibilities for workflows in general.
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:54:34 pm »
I spoke with the Product Manager for Mobile and he had not yet heard about this.  (Still too excited about the Capital G investment.)  However, he was very interested to learn more about it.  I sent him some links, so we'll see where this goes. 

I personally haven't even updated to iOS 12 on my iPad yet, but will so I can mess around with this.  Seems there could be many possibilities for workflows in general.

NIIICE!
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 03:30:32 pm »
I tried to make use of the "shortcut" feature.  I would really like it if I could just tell Siri to connect to my computer (using GoToMyPC).  It only goes so far then it halts.  Not very useful.  If it is to be useful, it should do all logins and passwords.  I mean, I'm already authenticating with my finger prints.  Now I tell Siri "Go to my PC".  It logs into the corporate login screen, but halts at the part where I need to select a machine to connect to.

Some else please try that out and discuss.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 03:48:09 pm »
I tried to make use of the "shortcut" feature.  I would really like it if I could just tell Siri to connect to my computer (using GoToMyPC).  It only goes so far then it halts.  Not very useful.  If it is to be useful, it should do all logins and passwords.  I mean, I'm already authenticating with my finger prints.  Now I tell Siri "Go to my PC".  It logs into the corporate login screen, but halts at the part where I need to select a machine to connect to.

Some else please try that out and discuss.

Its creating the framework, but the apps themselves have to write the actions in, and in some cases, they may not be easy!
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:36:26 am »
So, any ideas?

Thoughts around what might be good shortcuts to see if they could execute them?

Perhaps the MobileInsured app could have a shortcut to get an ID card that would grab the card and lock the phone.

Applied Mobile ideas?

They're asking, let's tell them!
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:56:03 am »
One Idea I had was ability to quickly log an activity to a client, or likewise with an attachments, perhaps take all photos taken in the last 10 mins/hour/etc and attach them.
Jeff Golas
Epic Online w/CSR24