Author Topic: Tracert on local network?  (Read 233 times)

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
Tracert on local network?
« on: September 25, 2018, 11:45:55 am »
Is there a tool (software) like tracert that can show me the local hops on the local network from a station?  Example: from my workstation to the server there are one or more smart routers with IP addresses.  Is there something that can show me the x.x.x.98 goes to x.x.x.160 to x.x.x.161 to x.x.x.249 or something like that?  At this time I just get one hop while I know (I wired it) that there are things in between.  Does 'tracert' have an option setting for "local" maybe?
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
Re: Tracert on local network?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:03:09 pm »
Shouldn't matter...Tracert is tracert. It just sees a network, doesn't matter if local or internet.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:09:56 pm »
Depending on how the network is configured, it may actually only be one hop.  Hence why you are getting that result.

We would need more information to help.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:01:04 am »
Traceroute is showing the path/route a packet is taking on layer 3 of the network... thus you'll generally only see router (layer 3 devices) not things like switches (most often layer 2 devices)
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline FWA

• Scalliwag
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:07 pm »
Ok, I get the layers, that would explain it only showing the layer 3 items.

What does one do, without shutting the whole network down, to trace the connection of a workstation to the server?  The station plugs into the wall, behind there it goes somewhere and ends up in a switch which connects it to another switch or port on the switch to go to the eventual local server.  Not leaving the local network.  Most stations were wired pretty straight forward, but then there were the three or four that had something mess up in the past and were rewired.  Ideally it would have been labeled properly, but tags and stickers were removed or fell off over time, switches were replaced, external cabling was replaced etc.  I do have tracing/pinging devices, but those only work if one powers down the whole system.
Fantasy is more important than knowledge, because knowledge has its boundaries - Albert Einstein

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 01:09:43 pm »
You can use a toner device to trace the wire, and/or you can use MAC address table on managed switches to determine which physical port a machine is plugged into.  I often have to do both of these depending on what I'm trying to figure out because whoever wired this place originally used some very long cables to go between the patch panel and the switches and they are coiled up in a rats nest in the middle of the rack.  It's something I want to to tear out and replace, but have never had the time to put in the effort.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline admin

• Root
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • We all have it coming, kid...
    • Applied Users
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 09:22:28 pm »
You could map some things out with ARPing, then again, if you have any web-enabled switches, you might be able to get the MAC address of the connected device on a port-by-port basis.
The Management

...you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?