Any additional equipment to handle Buffering when watching presentations?

Started by Jan Regnier, September 24, 2018, 03:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Regnier

Acuity offers CE Classes online and we have taken advantage of them (and they are relatively good!) - however, buffering takes place too often and is totally annoying let alone time stealer.  Is there any item that can assist in getting this issue rectified?

We just have 2 T1 lines for internet connection.

Thanks....
Jan Regnier
jan.regnier@meyersglaros.com
Meyers Glaros Group, Merrillville, IN 26 Users
EPIC 2020, Office 365, Indio

Mark

Quote from: Jan Regnier on September 24, 2018, 03:20:57 PM
We just have 2 T1 lines for internet connection.

This may be your culprit.    You have 3Mbps download speed max, and likely are operating at less than that.  I'd recommend looking for something newer, cable, or whatever is available in your area.   3Mbps is just very slow for today's Internet, in my opinion.

15Mbps would be much better.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Jan Regnier

Thanks Mark...that was what I was afraid of....I don't know if owner is willing to press on with newer connection...
Jan Regnier

Mark

I would expect a business class cable connection to cost considerably less than what you are paying for 2 T1.  I don't know what's available in your area, though.  So, I guess I could be wrong.
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of Information Systems
BS in Information Systems Security

Bob

I agree with Mark!  You can get cable min 100mb for less than 2 T1 lines.   Outdated product and over priced in my opinion.

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Mark on September 24, 2018, 03:55:45 PM
I would expect a business class cable connection to cost considerably less than what you are paying for 2 T1.  I don't know what's available in your area, though.  So, I guess I could be wrong.

And if cable is not right to your door, chances are pretty good that they will run it the last 500 to 1000 feet if you guarantee them 2 or 3 years of service.  At the high speed and low cost of cable, there's not much that can compete with it.  Now reliability, that's another matter, but it should be plenty reliable for internet connections.  It's trying to run the phone service over internet that drives us crazy.
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Jan Regnier

Cable is available here - we get mail offers all the time.  I will present the info and see where it goes from there...
Thanks, I knew I would get good info from you all.
Jan Regnier

Billy Welsh

It's overpriced because it's ancient.  The only companies who still own and operate copper are the legacy monopoly behemoths.  And they know that if you're on a T1, it's either because you can't get anything better (and cheaper), or because you don't know any better.  Copper is the only infrastructure that is pervasive, because our gov't used tax dollars + regulated rates to subsidize/finance its construction.

For something like this, I bet even a hotspot would have worked better than the T-1's and it would have cost less.

Quote from: Bob on September 24, 2018, 04:03:16 PM
I agree with Mark!  You can get cable min 100mb for less than 2 T1 lines.   Outdated product and over priced in my opinion.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Zylstra

Quote from: Billy Welsh on September 24, 2018, 04:19:00 PM

It's overpriced because it's ancient.  The only companies who still own and operate copper are the legacy monopoly behemoths.  And they know that if you're on a T1, it's either because you can't get anything better (and cheaper), or because you don't know any better.  Copper is the only infrastructure that is pervasive, because our gov't used tax dollars + regulated rates to subsidize/finance its construction.

For something like this, I bet even a hotspot would have worked better than the T-1's and it would have cost less.

Quote from: Bob on September 24, 2018, 04:03:16 PM

True dat.   My brother didn't have phone service 30 years ago, but federal legislation mandated that it be put in to rural areas through the use of taxes and other surcharges on your phone bill.  Of course that's all outdated and obsolete now, but it was something back in the day!
"We hang the petty thieves, and appoint the great ones to public office"  -  Aesop

Billy Welsh

But you can bet we are still paying the taxes!!!  They never die, and never fade away.
Billy Welsh
VP of Accounting
CableSouth Media, LLC dba SwyftConnect

Jeff Golas

Mark is on point...T's are expensive just because...and very old school. Time to get Cable or Fiber and probably pay less!
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com

Jan Regnier

Thanks for your info everyone.  I have made the presentation to the owner and will see what happens...
Jan Regnier