Author Topic: O365 - "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working"  (Read 628 times)

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
O365 - "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working"
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:19:31 am »
Some of our users (not all) have been periodically getting the above message and Outlook crashes.

Sometimes, it's as soon as they try to open it.  If they log out and back in enough, it goes away.

Sometimes, it's when they attempt to access either the Sent Items or Deleted Items folder.

I cannot find any common ground as to why this is happening.

It may be corruption of the OST file.  Dumping it seems to work.  Also creating a new Outlook profile works.  At least temporarily.

I thought it was because we we are all on a terminal server through RD, but then it happened to a user with a virtual desktop.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Could it be related to Applied in any way?
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
Re: O365 - "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:43:34 pm »
I had a MS OS update that broke my rating system.  I had to uninstall and reinstall it.   My guess would be an update of some kind.

We use same product not had this experience.  Were not using in TS anymore. 
Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Heather Reetz

• True Believer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 12:45:47 pm »
A M$ update? 

Why are you not using TS anymore?

What are you using instead?
Heather Reetz
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!
50ish Users; 15 remote, Epic Cloud, 2016 Servers, Terminal Services w/RDP, 3CX VOIP, O365/Pro Plus, HP Wyse & Dell Thin Clients, iPads, iPhones

Offline Tom Fisher

• Frequent Flyer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »
What ver of OutlooK?

Try a pst repair and office installation repair. 

Also as other's mention, see if updates installed coincide with when the issue began to appear.
Tom Fisher
The Tech Frood
tom@techfrood.com
www.techfrood.com

Offline Mark

• ScurvyDawg
  • meh.
    • Mark Piontek
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 01:10:55 pm »
Try opening in safe mode from the run box

Code: [Select]
Outlook /safe
And/or check what add-ons are installed and start disabling them.  It's often (but I'm sure not always) caused by an add-on.  Worth a try!
Mark Piontek, MBA
Director of IT
BS in Information Systems Security
MarkPiontek.com

Offline Bob

• ScurvyDawg
    • Kosich Insurance Agency, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 02:05:21 pm »
A M$ update? 

Why are you not using TS anymore?

What are you using instead?

We dumped TS because while it had benefits major down fall, when it was down for any reason or had any problem shared by all impacted all.   With Nexsure only offered as ASP/Cloud service, we decided to go all in with cloud based apps like Office 365, Rating (just switched from FSC after windows update breaking),  printing etc. got away from "installed apps".   All computers are now desktops but still joined to domain still push out a Group Policy keep control.  Now if someone has an issue it's not shared company wide and all locations and often easy to fix.

We have a lot of wildfires each year major one as I write.  We even had staff evacuated in Lake Port.  Whether major Fire, EQ anything, we can operate anywhere continue servicing clients.  Nothing really to backup, backed up on other end.  Also gives me more flexibility to work anywhere and I use Kaseya to remotely take care of anyone's needs.   Reason we changed again was impact to all or none and internet bandwidth increased so much in last 5 yrs, plenty of room to do this and more.  Turn key cloud computing is now way to go.   Combines so many solutions including disaster planning reduces IT support costs.  Puts much of that in the hands of vendors/hosting.  Even our phone system with Vodex can switch phones to my cell anything.  This also allows us more room in hiring.  Can hire people who work from home based on results don't need anything special.   Only down fall, multi-tasking in management system.  Way tokens work can only work in single sessions 1 client at a time.  Hoping to work with vendor to expand upon that.  :)
Bob Connor
IT/Project Management/Accounting
Kosich Family Insurance Serv. LLC.
Nexsure Ver 3.x

Offline Jeff Golas

• Administrator
  • Scalliwag
    • JKJ Website
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 03:15:20 pm »
I know that partially some of these are due to a Windows Update that changed "search" capabilities back in earlier this year that affected Outlook a lot. Lately though I'm starting to feel as though these are forcing us to switch to Windows 10, as doing so alleviates the crashes for the most part, but they're getting worse.

I also wonder if its just a certain bit of junk mail in someones junk or clutter folder, with a foreign characater(s) thats bombing Outlook.
Jeff Golas
Johnson, Kendall & Johnson, Inc. :: Newtown, PA
Epic Online w/CSR24
http://www.jkj.com